Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 6:32:47 PM EDT
Mr. Novice, here.  I'd like to attach an external hard drive to my TV so that I can watch all of my movies and videos.   Right now I have them on a WD Passport Portable Hard Drive.  Not sure if it's a good idea to have this constantly connected to the TV.  Seems like it would keep running or be on and the lifespan wouldn't be very long.  Is there a better option out there for something that doesn't have to be disconnected when not in use?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Externals are pretty good about shutting down when not in use (governed by the firmware on their controller/cases). If you're worried about it, though, switch to a big USB thumbdrive stick, which is all solid-state.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
just get a big usb drive and use that
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just get a big usb drive and use that
View Quote
Yeah, I'm looking at about 2TB of shows and movies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
dang, you watch more TV than me.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Until the next crop of 2+TB USB thumb drives become available, you'll need to see if your TV will attach to media servers and use a more conventional NAS platform to meet your storage requirements. Or just trust to the firmware of a 4-8TB USB3 external HDD to keep your disk from crashing.

I've got 20+TB of NAS storage and my TVs see the media server instance just fine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya gotta step up yer game a little.  I'm running an 8TB drive just for TV shows and another 4TB for movies.  
... and I'm looking to replace the 4TB with an 8 this year.
(Arrghhh matey, I be a pirate!)
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
smart tv? maybe has a plex app or something
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're a bit tech savvy, pickup a firestick and just load KODI on there. Works for my wife when Hulu and Netflix don't have what she wants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top