Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2019 11:39:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an Aggie who couldn't do this when I was in school. Sure can't splain it now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't done this stuff in many years, but unless I'm missing something it appears to be straight forward.
It's based on the fact that the integral of "e to the -kt power" with respect to "t"  is "-k times (e to the -kt power)".
Using that concept, each of the three terms in the first line translates into the respective terms in the second line.
Hard to explain better here because I don't have fancy fonts to write equations

Does that help?

ETA:  That's why you see each term in the result divided by the same number used in the exponent in the integral.  You have to account for the "-k times" factor stated above.

And then when you evaluate at 0 and infinity you get the final result. All the exponents evaluate to "1" for t=0 and "0" for t=infinity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Each term in the brackets is the result of a u-substitution.  In order from left to right, the substitutions you would use are u=-4*lambda*t, u=-3*lambda*t, and u=-2*lambda*t.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
First step is to integrate the terms separately most of the time.

The sum of the integrals equals the integral of the sums.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If I remember right, what you seek is called the additive property of Intergals, what brickeye said... if you want to youtube it for more examples.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top