Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2022 10:51:09 AM EDT
'ho,

Has anyone done any experiments with this?  I took the slurry from my Styrian Stunner (if you're tailgating at Ohio State today, stop by and try some!) and used it on my Edmunds Fitzgerald clone I brewed up yesterday.

Couldnt brew earlier in the day so I was finished rather late.  I use whirlpool immersion chilling and got it down to low/mid 80's .  Stuck it in the ferm chiller set to 67 and by the time I was ready for bed it was down to 74.

Pitched the yeast and in the morning it was at 67 and chugging away nicely.  

Usually wait until pitching temps but saw this and decided to try:  https://brulosophy.com/2014/12/15/the-temp-at-which-we-pitch-exbeeriment-results/

Anyone else try something like this?   I'll report back when drinking it
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, stuck it in the keg last night and made up a 2L with a carb cap to try it.  
Damn tasty if I do say so myself.  No hot flavors.  No issues here.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
On my ales I typically target 3-5 deg over my ferment temp for pitching. The warmer the temp the faster the growth phase of the yeast initiates and completes. When you pitch the volume of yeast cells is so low the esters thrown are minimal. At the peak of the growth phase you want to be at your target temp because that is when you can build detectable esters.

That’s why I also tend to pitch my lager yeast warmer than most people. I know the growth phase needs to initiate and that I can cool to fermentation temps before esters build to detectable levels.

The simple fact is few people can tell if the type of fermentation esters are even present. Even when they are some people will like them. I have had a couple big temperature excursions due to power outages or glycol system failures. The esters that were thrown were huge and I hated it. But 90% of the people loved it so what do I know?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I typically pitch a little under the intended ferment temp and let it ramp back up.  I've pitched the next morning as well with no issues.  But as long as you aren't temp shocking the yeast, I would assume 5 degrees either direction is no big deal and you'll be fine as long as you get where you want quickly after that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I typically pitch a little under the intended ferment temp and let it ramp back up.  I've pitched the next morning as well with no issues.  But as long as you aren't temp shocking the yeast, I would assume 5 degrees either direction is no big deal and you'll be fine as long as you get where you want quickly after that.
View Quote

It depends on the volume of live yeast in the wort. At peak growth, 24-36 hours or so depending on yeast, temps and volume, you want to be at target temperature and stay there until pretty much done. I’ve seen yeast pinched at what most would consider very high temps and the beer is fine. Mostly because the temps are dropping to normal vs static or rising.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It depends on the volume of live yeast in the wort. At peak growth, 24-36 hours or so depending on yeast, temps and volume, you want to be at target temperature and stay there until pretty much done. I’ve seen yeast pinched at what most would consider very high temps and the beer is fine. Mostly because the temps are dropping to normal vs static or rising.
View Quote

Oh yeah, definitely I'm talking about getting to the intended ferment temp in way less than 24 hours after pitching.
I use a craigslist chest freezer, and it will drop a 5.5gal fermenter from ~85 to ~65 in something like four hours.  For my current equipment and process this is very common for me to do.  I will pitch at ~65 and let it come up to the target (yeast dependent) with heat generated by the fermentation.  And/or room ambient temp in the summer time.

Of course I'm sure many other variations are just fine as well.

Just based on reading I've done, I would try not to have >10 degree temp difference between the wort and a liquid starter at the time of pitching.  But push comes to shove, I've never tried it either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I pitch dry yeast straight into my fermenter at about 85 degrees.  That's about as cold as I can get it in a reasonable amount of time.  I figure that rehydration instructions call for 85 to 95, so it should be fine.  I've never had any problems with this method.

Once pitched, my fermenter goes into a tub of water and I rotate frozen gel packs to keep fermentation temps under 70.

I tried Kveik Voss for the first time a few weeks ago for a Pale Ale.  Came out great!  It was so nice not worrying about temp control, that I need to experiment with using Kveik for other styles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top