Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 8:24:40 AM EDT
https://www.faa.gov/jobs/career_fields/aviation_careers/asi/

The jobs listed there might be good for anyone looking to be fat, dumb and happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought about applying but the pay is so low.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet there will sadly be plenty of applications in about 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By esa17:
I thought about applying but the pay is so low.
View Quote

But deferred pay through pension...
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Back in the early to mid 1990s, it was explained to me that military service gets translated to civil service points, so an entry level position might be filled with a person with prior military service, but their pay gets bumped to a higher level when the military service is translated over, and the payroll is budgeted by taking that into account.

ETA: The person that explained this to me, was working in a federal facility that had better than 75% of the staff with prior military service.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JPN:

Back in the early to mid 1990s, it was explained to me that military service gets translated to civil service points, so an entry level position might be filled with a person with prior military service, but their pay gets bumped to a higher level when the military service is translated over, and the payroll is budgeted by taking that into account.

ETA: The person that explained this to me, was working in a federal facility that had better than 75% of the staff with prior military service.
View Quote

So could a civilian negotiate a higher pay rate or is it accept what’s advertised?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I was asked to apply for an ASCI position in 2015, your travel schedule at the time was 80%.
Almost 42 weeks on the road...

There is also mandatory geographic living requirements, typically in large metro areas.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta love some of the requirements.  

Not more than 2 flying accidents during the last 5 years in which the applicant's pilot error was involved
View Quote

So basically, if you have only crashed twice in the past 5 years, you are good to go as a safety inspector.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]

So could a civilian negotiate a higher pay rate or is it accept what’s advertised?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Back in the early to mid 1990s, it was explained to me that military service gets translated to civil service points, so an entry level position might be filled with a person with prior military service, but their pay gets bumped to a higher level when the military service is translated over, and the payroll is budgeted by taking that into account.

ETA: The person that explained this to me, was working in a federal facility that had better than 75% of the staff with prior military service.

So could a civilian negotiate a higher pay rate or is it accept what’s advertised?

I've had people (inside the system) encourage me to apply, a couple times, but I never bothered to even ask for an application, so I don't know what options there may be.  

Back when it was initially explained to me, there was an entry level position opening posted, and the person explaining the situation laid out the qualifications that were listed as required (education, previous work experience in the field, etc).  They then stated that the pay scale for that position was only slightly higher than what someone fresh out of a high school in that area would expect, if they went looking for an entry level job that didn't require anything more than a high school diploma and passing a drug test (which is why so many of the people working at that facility had prior military experience).

One of the guys that encouraged me to apply, started his career with a goal of collecting his paycheck from the FAA.  He 'networked', while getting a few years of work experience in aviation, then applied for a position.  He's been in long enough to apparently be fairly comfortable with his income, but a few comments he has made over the years, gave me the impression that the FAA is very much like the airlines, in that there are times to look at starting a career there (if you are interested in that sort of thing), and times to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kekoa:
Gotta love some of the requirements.  

So basically, if you have only crashed twice in the past 5 years, you are good to go as a safety inspector. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kekoa:
Gotta love some of the requirements.  

Not more than 2 flying accidents during the last 5 years in which the applicant's pilot error was involved

So basically, if you have only crashed twice in the past 5 years, you are good to go as a safety inspector. 

If you have a guy in the shop, who has never had an 'oops', you know he has probably never really done anything.

If you have a guy in the shop, who can spend quite a bit of time telling you how many ways he has had an 'oops', you start keeping an eye on where he is, so that you don't get caught up in his next 'oops'.

There's a balance somewhere in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
I bet there will sadly be plenty of applications in about 6 months.
View Quote

That’s why you should do it Now.  This very day. No joke.   We all need a friend on the inside anyway.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I'm not a GS kind of guy but I was reading something else on the topic could you could use your resume to negotiate within the band so instead of GS12 you'd be able to be a GS12 step 7 or whatever then that gets multiplied by locality and differential pays.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Gents, no offense...and I mean that... but nothing in this thread is factually correct.

This is my 10th year with the agency and I have no plans to ever leave. I've known a few that didn't make it past string or quit within a year or two but it was almost always something they did or they couldn't adjust to the bureaucracy that comes with any gov job.

When a job gets posted, the pay grade listed in the offer has VERY LITTLE room, if any, for negotiation.  The FAA HR just isn't comparable to a civilian HR dept.

Trust me, if the job is listed at a GS13 step 5, you aren't negotiating to a step 7. You either take it or not.

The FAA has done some things very recently to attract potential inspectors that I thought I'd never see. That goes to show how short staffed we are. Especially for OPS Inspectors.

ETA
In general, as an OPS inspector new hire (with air carrier, 135, 91k, or military) you can almost guarantee starting at GS-13 Step 5 plus the applicable locality pay.
Some openings may be listed at the GS-12 level. If so, you could expect a promotion to GS-13 after your first year.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So could a civilian negotiate a higher pay rate or is it accept what's advertised?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the early to mid 1990s, it was explained to me that military service gets translated to civil service points, so an entry level position might be filled with a person with prior military service, but their pay gets bumped to a higher level when the military service is translated over, and the payroll is budgeted by taking that into account.

ETA: The person that explained this to me, was working in a federal facility that had better than 75% of the staff with prior military service.

So could a civilian negotiate a higher pay rate or is it accept what's advertised?
@esa17
You take what the job opening offers or you don't
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brasilia:
@esa17
You take what the job opening offers or you don't
View Quote

That’s what I thought.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brasilia:
Gents, no offense...and I mean that... but nothing in this thread is factually correct. 

This is my 10th year with the agency and I have no plans to ever leave. I've known a few that didn't make it past string or quit within a year or two but it was almost always something they did or they couldn't adjust to the bureaucracy that comes with any gov job. 

When a job gets posted, the pay grade listed in the offer has VERY LITTLE room, if any, for negotiation.  The FAA HR just isn't comparable to a civilian HR dept.

Trust me, if the job is listed at a GS13 step 5, you aren't negotiating to a step 7. You either take it or not. 

The FAA has done some things very recently to attract potential inspectors that I thought I'd never see. That goes to show how short staffed we are. Especially for OPS Inspectors.

ETA
In general, as an OPS inspector new hire (with air carrier, 135, 91k, or military) you can almost guarantee starting at GS-13 Step 5 plus the applicable locality pay. 
Some openings may be listed at the GS-12 level. If so, you could expect a promotion to GS-13 after your first year.
View Quote

See, like I said I'm not a GS guy. No idea how the system works. Although once I get my good time I've thought about trying out something different on the technical side.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]

If you have a guy in the shop, who has never had an 'oops', you know he has probably never really done anything.

If you have a guy in the shop, who can spend quite a bit of time telling you how many ways he has had an 'oops', you start keeping an eye on where he is, so that you don't get caught up in his next 'oops'.

There's a balance somewhere in the middle.
View Quote

Every pilot I know has a story.  Maybe not all were ‘crashes’ but some were damn close.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gents, no offense...and I mean that... but nothing in this thread is factually correct.

This is my 10th year with the agency and I have no plans to ever leave. I've known a few that didn't make it past string or quit within a year or two but it was almost always something they did or they couldn't adjust to the bureaucracy that comes with any gov job.

When a job gets posted, the pay grade listed in the offer has VERY LITTLE room, if any, for negotiation.  The FAA HR just isn't comparable to a civilian HR dept.

Trust me, if the job is listed at a GS13 step 5, you aren't negotiating to a step 7. You either take it or not.

The FAA has done some things very recently to attract potential inspectors that I thought I'd never see. That goes to show how short staffed we are. Especially for OPS Inspectors.

ETA
In general, as an OPS inspector new hire (with air carrier, 135, 91k, or military) you can almost guarantee starting at GS-13 Step 5 plus the applicable locality pay.
Some openings may be listed at the GS-12 level. If so, you could expect a promotion to GS-13 after your first year.
View Quote

I called the local FSDO about being an ops inspector and they only wanted heavy 121 time. I don’t have a CFI so there went that idea!
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I called the local FSDO about being an ops inspector and they only wanted heavy 121 time. I don't have a CFI so there went that idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

I called the local FSDO about being an ops inspector and they only wanted heavy 121 time. I don't have a CFI so there went that idea!
@Mazawakhan

It totally depends on the need of the agency and/or particular office.

I don't have a CFI either and it has never been an issue.

What type of experience and type ratings do you have?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Mazawakhan

It totally depends on the need of the agency and/or particular office.

I don't have a CFI either and it has never been an issue.

What type of experience and type ratings do you have?
View Quote

ATP 8000+ hrs 4000 of which was in King Air and  LR-JET and CE-680 types.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top