Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2020 1:20:42 AM EDT
I ordered some parts for the first time yesterday at everygunpart.com and now got this email. Is it normal for a site to ask this much info? I've ordered in many other sites before but this is the first time I'm ever asked for this much "verification".

EDIT: parts arrived after verification, good deal

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Not clicking on that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd call them during business hours and ask WTH?

ETA: I'm using synthetic CC numbers for online purchases now, so there would be no card to image for them, and they wouldn't be getting the actual card. There's a reason why I'm using synthetics.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Call them tomorrow (not email)

Either it's a scam where someone scraped your order info off the net, and is pishing you -
or
If it's true, and it's just parts? Not magazines or receivers?  I'd tell them to pound sand, cancel the order, and go elsewhere
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Shady sounding site. The "kindly" at the beginning screams scam.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Credit card Address Verification System probably doesn’t match what you ordered with billing address.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ordered some parts for the first time yesterday at everygunpart.com and now got this email. Is it normal for a site to ask this much info? I've ordered in many other sites before but this is the first time I'm ever asked for this much "verification".

https://i.imgur.com/HvmrKS5.png
View Quote

I'd cancel it.   I prefer not to send a copy of my ID to people.    

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've ordered from them a couple times but has been 6-ish months or more. Didn't get anything like that. Received what I ordered and had no trouble.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
A quick web search shows mixed reviews for that site.  A couple complaints about getting new parts that seem used.

I see OP is in CA, so maybe there's some crazy CA stuff they have to comply with.  I would really try to avoid sending a copy of the ID.  Also, if you're going to send a copy of the credit card, remember regular email usually isn't secure.

If I could get the parts somewhere else for a comparable price, I would tell them to just cancel the order.  However, when I have done that in the past (other sites), the order seems to proceed immediately with the item shipping and CC being charged.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/HvmrKS5.png
View Quote

This is scam shit. They get the CC# from the front, then the 3-digit code from the back, then they buy whatever the fuck they want.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]

OP, atf has caught onto you. About now burn all electronics and leave CA is your only option
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A quick web search shows mixed reviews for that site.  A couple complaints about getting new parts that seem used.

I see OP is in CA, so maybe there's some crazy CA stuff they have to comply with.  I would really try to avoid sending a copy of the ID.  Also, if you're going to send a copy of the credit card, remember regular email usually isn't secure.

If I could get the parts somewhere else for a comparable price, I would tell them to just cancel the order.  However, when I have done that in the past (other sites), the order seems to proceed immediately with the item shipping and CC being charged.
View Quote

They've already charged my card, it's just parts kits for two pistols nothing CA illegal. Requiring a copy of my ID really sounds fishy, do other gun online sites ever do this??
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Call them, they have probably been hacked.
If they really want all that shit, follow previous advice to request they pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They've already charged my card, it's just parts kits for two pistols nothing CA illegal. Requiring a copy of my ID really sounds fishy, do other gun online sites ever do this??
View Quote

I had PSA and another website do it to me about a year ago. I purchased some stuff with my wife’s CC (billing address was still in SC) and had parts shipped to me in my name, at our NC address. Both companies wanted government issued ID from my wife and I.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Wanting the credit card info is weird, since they already have it from your initial order.  How are you supposed to send the info back to them?  If email, I'd bet that the address doesn't go to the actual company.  In that case, this would be a phishing attack intended to steal your identity.

Also, WTF is a "synthetic credit card number?"  Every google search on it returns articles starting with the phrase "identity fraud."

Mike
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to say, "Call them on the phone and ask about the problem."  However, on their website, they say they only provide customer service via email.

Sounds like a small operation.  They could just be on the edge of going out of business and being extra careful about credit card chargebacks.  I would email them and ask about what they are trying to achieve with the requested information.  Are they concerned about the validity of the payment, or concerned about your age or the legality of shipping the items to you?  See if there is some way you can satisfy their concerns without sending copies of your ID.  For example, maybe a photo of the credit card with only part of the number visible.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wanting the credit card info is weird, since they already have it from your initial order.  How are you supposed to send the info back to them?  If email, I'd bet that the address doesn't go to the actual company.  In that case, this would be a phishing attack intended to steal your identity.

Also, WTF is a "synthetic credit card number?"
 Every google search on it returns articles starting with the phrase "identity fraud."

Mike
View Quote

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Virtual-Account-Numbers
Included with Select Citi® Cards

Citi helps make my credit card number virtually impossible to steal by generating a random Citi card number that I can use while shopping online.

When shopping online or by mail order, you can use a randomly generated Citi card Virtual Account Number instead of your real account number. Simply click Enroll in/Get below to begin using Virtual Account Numbers.

All purchases made with your temporary number will appear on your monthly statement with your other purchases and will include the Virtual Account Number that was used for each transaction.

The Virtual Account Numbers benefit is not available for all Citi cards. If you currently have a Citi card, you can view benefits for your specific card by logging in or registering for Card Benefits. Or, you can view all Citi cards and their features by visiting Citicards.com
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Citi helps make my credit card number virtually impossible to steal by generating a random Citi card number that I can use while shopping online.

When shopping online or by mail order, you can use a randomly generated Citi card Virtual Account Number instead of your real account number. Simply click Enroll in/Get below to begin using Virtual Account Numbers.

All purchases made with your temporary number will appear on your monthly statement with your other purchases and will include the Virtual Account Number that was used for each transaction.

The Virtual Account Numbers benefit is not available for all Citi cards. If you currently have a Citi card, you can view benefits for your specific card by logging in or registering for Card Benefits. Or, you can view all Citi cards and their features by visiting Citicards.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, WTF is a "synthetic credit card number?"
 Every google search on it returns articles starting with the phrase "identity fraud."

Mike

I use a different bank so their system generates a new card number for each online vendor I use. So for one account, I've got a different card number for Arfcom, Netflix, Amazon, PSA, etc. and all the CC info is stored in the credit card app/plugin so I can have a recurring charge, or if I go back to a vendor only once in a while the synthetic CC# is still attached to that website. This is great for me, because about every 18 months my card gets compromised, so now I won't have to change my CC#s on a bunch of recurring accounts, and I'll know where my CC# got stolen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
How are they expecting you to send the CVV in a PCI Compliant manner?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]
You live in california and are questioning why you need to send them additional credentials?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask them to show you the law, any law, that requires any American to even have ID. It's simply not required, except for specific use by the dept's or agencies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
UPDATE: Got the parts I ordered after I sent them a copy of my DL and CC. They shipped it as soon as they verified it was me and now I have the parts I ordered. Aside from the hiccup I guess verification is needed now for Commiefornians. But still 10/10 great deal on parts, they have stuff you won't find on Gunbroker or anywhere else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top