Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2022 5:44:43 PM EDT
I've done a fair amount of mechanical work in my life starting when I was a kid; less than many but probably more than most who like me don't wrench for a living. But torque wrenches were very rarely used, instead favoring the ugga dugga scale except for some rare cases.

Last year I bought a couple nice split-beam torque wrenches for a couple tasks I was going to do where I knew I'd want to get it right, one heavier 1/2" drive (40-250 fb-lbs) and one lighter 3/8" drive (100-600 in-lbs). I've been using them occasionally on things that I never would have before and it's making me realize I was frequently drastically overtightening things. Lug nuts, oil drain plugs, stuff on the tractors... I get a click way before I would have normally stopped. Now I've rarely had problems as a result of overtightening things before, but it's been an awakening.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Only fucking morons think that ugga dugga shit is cool.

That's guaranteeing that somebody is fucking something up. Usually not for them, it's for the next sorry bastard that's gotta work on it.

I've got a legit collection of torque wrenches now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always wanted one of the teeny pencil-style ones, I know I'm overtightening screws all the time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's guaranteeing that somebody is fucking something up. Usually not for them, it's for the next sorry bastard that's gotta work on it.

View Quote

To clarify, at least as far as my understanding of the slang, "ugga dugga" doesn't mean tightening the hell out of things as hard as you can, it means bringing it to a head and snugging it up to what feels like an appropriate amount without pulling out a torque wrench to check. Just because you don't use a torque wrench on everything doesn't mean there's going to be any problems.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck yeah torque wrenches for the win.
I just bought a Fix It Sticks kit so now I have an inch pounds tool and used it on a suppressor end cap, should be nice for optics mounting also.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I've built and repaired many things. Mostly using torque elbow.
I do own torque wrenches but rarely use them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Calibrating 1600 newton-meter ones was a pain in the arse.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry you feel this way but there are many people that have been turning wrenches for many years that can get fasteners torqued without a wrench and be right where they should be. Those guys also know when it's time to pull out the torque wrench. Obviously headbolts/studs, lugnuts on alloy wheels, etc demand a bit mor precision.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry you feel this way but there are many people that have been turning wrenches for many years that can get fasteners torqued without a wrench and be right where they should be. Those guys also know when it's time to pull out the torque wrench. Obviously headbolts/studs, lugnuts on alloy wheels, etc demand a bit mor precision.
View Quote

Wrong. Use the torque wrench. You under torque my cylinder head bolts and cause me to lose a piston while in flight, I’m gonna land that plane and come straight to the hanger and beat the piss out of you. Ft/lbs matter.

Do whatever you want with your lawnmower, but if the Mx manual for the precision equipment you’re repairing has a torque spec, it’s there for a reason. Takes 5 seconds to dial in the torque.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To clarify, at least as far as my understanding of the slang, "ugga dugga" doesn't mean tightening the hell out of things as hard as you can, it means bringing it to a head and snugging it up to what feels like an appropriate amount without pulling out a torque wrench to check. Just because you don't use a torque wrench on everything doesn't mean there's going to be any problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25 years ago, new mag wheels (which sold a lot of) would get torque wrenches, everything else would get impact guns.

I know tightened past spec but never had any problems. Bozos leaning into their guns never lasted long.

Now I have a 1/2" ft*lb and 1/4" in*lb click-types for working on my bike.  Hazard Fraught brand, but they've been well-reviewed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wrong. Use the torque wrench. You under torque my cylinder head bolts and cause me to lose a piston while in flight, I’m gonna land that plane and come straight to the hanger and beat the piss out of you. Ft/lbs matter.

Do whatever you want with your lawnmower, but if the Mx manual for the precision equipment you’re repairing has a torque spec, it’s there for a reason. Takes 5 seconds to dial in the torque.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The post you quoted specifically said head bolts.

Seriously, 25 years ago no one was pulling out torque wrenches for fucking lug nuts on steel wheels. I think you're overreacting a little.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I torque almost every bolt when building engines, attaching wheels, and steering components.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I replaced the front brakes on our shitbox Altima last week. I put the calipers back on with a ratchet and tightened them up. When I was wrapping up the job I looked up the torque specs and got out the appropriate torque wrench. Holy shit, I had WAY overtightened the caliper bolts. In my defense, it's an awkward angle reaching into a wheel well and tightening something on the back side. I think the spec was like 25 or 27 ft lbs. God only knows how tight I had done them by feel.

I have several torque wrenches in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". When doing something REALLY high I just borrow a big one from the auto parts store. I know it gets abused but I imagine it's still in the ballpark.

I always store mine on the lowest setting per the manual.

Oh and fuck electronic torque wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

ROFL...you have experienced a serious reading comprehension failure. When you finish elementary school come back and read again. In the meantime, your dad should probably not let you fly aircraft until you learn to read.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe move this thread to GD, because it reads like it.

On one side we have a guy saying that being precise matters.  On the other side, we have a guy saying precision is over rated and they can get the job done faster.  Of course only after a lifetime of experience.  Makes me wonder what kind of work was being done prior to accumulating all that experience?

Then the personal reading comprehension attacks begin.  Is that cultivated after a lifetime of experience as well?

Quoted:

ROFL...you have experienced a serious reading comprehension failure. When you finish elementary school come back and read again. In the meantime, your dad should probably not let you fly aircraft until you learn to read.
View Quote

With the bolded part, how exactly does this fit a non-GD thread about a torque wrench?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always wanted one of the teeny pencil-style ones, I know I'm overtightening screws all the time.
View Quote
Compared to ruining a scope mount and hours of working a fix, which I did because I never took the time to get a proper torque wrench till I did, those wrenches are cheap and easy to get.

You'd be amazed at how little torque 15 -20 inlbs is until you measure it. And none of those tiny torques have slipped.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Compared to ruining a scope mount and hours of working a fix, which I did because I never took the time to get a proper torque wrench till I did, those wrenches are cheap and easy to get.

You'd be amazed at how little torque 15 -20 inlbs is until you measure it. And none of those tiny torques have slipped.
View Quote

Any specific brand recommendations?  It would be for my personal use and not used often, so (for me specifically) I don’t need “tier 1.”

Currently I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench (or whatever it’s called).
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Accurate torque is important where you need certain things to happen. Otherwise, it's not critical

Precision mated surfaces with or without a gasket get a torque wrench, and it's not because it needs to be tight, it's because the pressure applied needs to be EVEN.

High tensile load bolts need a torque wrench. They need the correct preload applied to stretch the bolts to the correct elastic load to provide a clamping force as well as being evenly torqued to split load across the entire load bearing surface.

Different materials are more sensitive to uneven load distribution than others.

There are many reasons to accurately torque a bolt.

There are also plenty of reasons where it's a fools errand.

An access cover probably doesn't care if you have even torque.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hurrrrrrrr fuckin durrrrr, please pray tell which bolts in an aircraft you figure you can do without? You think they put some of the fasteners in just for funsies and they can just be allowed to shake out? Or fuck it, let’s just use the German metric and crank it in there goodntight until we strip the threads right out of a part that hasn’t been manufactured since the 70’s and is now unobtainium.

You’re probably one of those cool dudes who just says all lycomings leak right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any specific brand recommendations?  It would be for my personal use and not used often, so (for me specifically) I don’t need “tier 1.”

Currently I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench (or whatever it’s called).
View Quote

My local calibration service speaks very highly of the Gearwrench line. Great bang for the buck, and he says they hold their cal very well. Get the flex head.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously, 25 years ago no one was pulling out torque wrenches for fucking lug nuts on steel wheels. I think you're overreacting a little.
View Quote

My dad taught me to torque everything important.  Been torqueing lug nuts since getting my first car at age 14 in 1989.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe move this thread to GD, because it reads like it.

(snip)
View Quote

Ironically I originally started typing the OP for GD, then thought better of it and posted in DIY.

There's really just one guy in here who seems to think this is GD, and supposedly he's a pilot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ironically I originally started typing the OP for GD, then thought better of it and posted in DIY.

There's really just one guy in here who seems to think this is GD, and supposedly he's a pilot.
View Quote

I’m not the one who started slinging turds. I used a real world example to demonstrate why torque is important in professional applications in opposition to a poster who said torque could be optional depending on if you thought the piece was important or not.

I am a pilot. I was also the chief of maintenance for a flying operation which was inspected by the FAA and passed with flying colors. I’m not pulling things out of my ass, and I don’t understand why certain mechanics refuse to use a torque wrench. You literally just grab a different ratchet handle during the assembly stage, and dial in the number that’s indicated in your maintenance manual. You are using a maintenance manual right? Engineers put the spec in for a reason.

Like I said, if you’re working on your lawnmower do whatever you want- but you asked about revelations, and I provided an example of a field where torque matters.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously, a torque wrench should be used for everything related to an airplane, but please explain /describe the engine in your airplane that has cylinder head bolts? Short of a VW flat-four in a homebuilt, I've never heard of such bolts.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Obviously, a torque wrench should be used for everything related to an airplane, but please explain /describe the engine in your airplane that has cylinder head bolts? Short of a VW flat-four in a homebuilt, I've never heard of such bolts.

View Quote

No need to be pedantic. If you want to be a picky Paula it’s actually a STUD, 1/2-20 x 10-45/64 long P/N 76220, secured with a NUT, 1/2-20 plain P/N STD-2090 attaching CYLINDER AND HEAD ASSEMBLY, Nitrided P/N LW-12427 torqued to 600 inch pounds.

And it’s refered to has a cylinder head assembly in more than one manual, and it’s strikingly similar in design to a VW flat four.

Plenty of accident reports out their indicating crash due to cylinder separation because of under torqued fasteners.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m not the one who started slinging turds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I’m not the one who started slinging turds.

If you believe that you need a reality check. Go back and read what was said and when the poo flinging happened.

Quoted:I used a real world example to demonstrate why torque is important

You used a real world example that I specifically listed as requiring a torque wrench to demonstrate why torque is important. And that was somehow supposed to prove me wrong? That's something a 5 year old would say. I'm sorry if I misjudged your age from your ability to read and comprehend what I said.

Quoted:Engineers put the spec in for a reason.

I'm sure an engineer that designs aerospace equipment would have a pretty good idea of where torque is critical and where it isn't. I'm sure those engineers also know that in many cases the torque isn't super critical and has a wide tolerance band (like 120-220 in-lb) but if they don't put one and an ignorant or inexperienced maintainer touches things it could have catastrophic results. That doesn't mean an experienced maintainer can't hit spec on non-critical or wide tolerance fasteners.

Do you have any questions for an engineer that puts the torque specs in the repair procedures for aircraft? You're talking to one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a torque wrench mostly because I don't know WHY a fastener needs to be tight. Sometimes I'm working on something and I see the torque spec is like 100 ft lbs when I never would have guessed it. Plus I'm afraid of breaking bolts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you believe that you need a reality check. Go back and read what was said and when the poo flinging happened.

You used a real world example that I specifically listed as requiring a torque wrench to demonstrate why torque is important. And that was somehow supposed to prove me wrong? That's something a 5 year old would say. I'm sorry if I misjudged your age from your ability to read and comprehend what I said.

I'm sure an engineer that designs aerospace equipment would have a pretty good idea of where torque is critical and where it isn't. I'm sure those engineers also know that in many cases the torque isn't super critical and has a wide tolerance band (like 120-220 in-lb) but if they don't put one and an ignorant or inexperienced maintainer touches things it could have catastrophic results. That doesn't mean an experienced maintainer can't hit spec on non-critical or wide tolerance fasteners.

Do you have any questions for an engineer that puts the torque specs in the repair procedures for aircraft? You're talking to one.
View Quote

You’re an aerospace engineer and you’re recommending that mechanics use their elbows to torque stuff? Have you spent much time on the airfield with your average GA-Joe wrench turner? I barely trust most of the dudes I’ve interacted with to change a brake liner much less make decisions about which bolts should and should not be torqued. Why put it in the book if you don’t care.

If you start letting your mechanics deviate from the manual, they will rapidly revert to old wives tales and start screwing up your client’s aircraft. They especially love to skip the published troubleshooting steps in the CMM and just replace the $2,000 part when all it needed was a minor adjustment or a new shear pin, but fuck that they know better and it isn’t their money. I’ve seen plenty of stripped threads in very expensive parts because the mechanic didn’t think it was a critical item that needed a torque wrench.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You’re an aerospace engineer and you’re recommending that mechanics use their elbows to torque stuff? Have you spent much time on the airfield with your average GA-Joe wrench turner? I barely trust most of the dudes I’ve interacted with to change a brake liner much less make decisions about which bolts should and should not be torqued. Why put it in the book if you don’t care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're being obtuse. But keep going because you're making it clear that you don't actually know what you're talking about. I already answered the question in bold.

Quoted:
If you start letting your mechanics deviate from the manual, they will rapidly revert to old wives tales and start screwing up your client’s aircraft. They especially love to skip the published troubleshooting steps in the CMM and just replace the $2,000 part when all it needed was a minor adjustment or a new shear pin, but fuck that they know better and it isn’t their money. I’ve seen plenty of stripped threads in very expensive parts because the mechanic didn’t think it was a critical item that needed a torque wrench.

You keep using the aerospace industry as your example to demonstrate why every fastener must be torqued with a wrench every time. That's what I would choose too if I were trying to defend an indefensible position because it's the only industry that has a shred of support for your position. Of course the aerospace industry is going to use torque wrenches more than most other industries. It carries greater risks and the factors of safety are much, much tighter so fastener torque is much more critical. But even on aircraft there are fasteners that have no listed torque spec. And torque spec escapements rarely ever carry catastrophic consequences. As a matter of fact, we've had maintainers reach back to us, stating that a torque wrench was out of cal and the fastener could be under-torqued by as much as 20% on X nunber of aircraft. They ask us if the torque is critical and if the aircraft need grounded or if they can correct next time they work on that part of the aircraft. Rarely ever does the aircraft need grounded due to under or over torque. But according to your position the aircraft should be grounded every time. Are you telling me you never dealt with torque spec escapements? How did you handle them?

Don't ignore the industries that carry far less risk. I would wager that far less than 50% of the fasteners on the average automobile have a listed torque spec. And yet you choose to get in yours and go barreling down the highway.

What about ag/industrial equipment? Even fewer. Torque specs are usually only listed for fasteners on precision surfaces, and critical safety systems like brakes. Everything else is either unlisted or falls into a general range (often quite broad) listed in a chart in the appendix. And I can tell you that the mechanics aren't looking at that chart often. They've done those bolts enough that they know what is tight enough for X size bolt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]
To clarify, my original post wasn't a revelation that a torque wrench needs to always be used. I agree with SigOwner_P229, there's a ton of fasteners out there that don't have torque specs or it's simply not necessary to be that precise.

My revelation was by using a torque wrench on some things that I don't usually, I found I was overtightening some things, though it's never led to a problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My revelation was by using a torque wrench on some things that I don't usually, I found I was overtightening some things, though it's never led to a problem.
View Quote

This is true, and I think it's the reason experienced mechanics are good at hitting torque specs without a torque wrench.

They tighten fasteners every day, and like I said in my very first response, they know when to get the torque wrench out. They use a torque wrench often enough that they know the right "feel" for the fasteners that aren't so critical as to require a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I just saw a post on the Club Lexus forum about a guy torquing his skid plate bolts to 120 ft/lbs rather than 120 in/lbs ??

I like knowing torque specs and wish every single fastener for every device came with them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah they were, I built motors and did all kinds of mech work in the early 1980's. Anyone who had a clue used a torque wrench, and made fun of the idiots that didn't understand why wheel studs randomly snapped or something broke the first time they ran their hotrod hard.

On modern cars, everything is designed to have just enough margin and not a gram more material for gorillas with no torque wrench. You torque EVERYTHING to spec on anything newer than 1990, or you will eventually pay the price.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just saw a post on the Club Lexus forum about a guy torquing his skid plate bolts to 120 ft/lbs rather than 120 in/lbs ??
View Quote

Unpossible, those bolts would have exploded, and split the time space continuum in the process.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is true, and I think it's the reason experienced mechanics are good at hitting torque specs without a torque wrench.

They tighten fasteners every day, and like I said in my very first response, they know when to get the torque wrench out. They use a torque wrench often enough that they know the right "feel" for the fasteners that aren't so critical as to require a torque wrench.
View Quote

And this is why I've never let any other mechanic work on a car I that I really cared about. I've seen "skilled" guys tested in the lab, digital data acquisition systems don't lie, but old mechanics and techs do without knowing it. My own personal feel was as good as any highly experienced tech/mechanic we tested - I'm the son of master machinist and have been turning wrenches all my life - but I still struggled to get within +/- 20% with any consistency, and sometimes I would miss by a mile. Back in the day, my buddies used to marvel at how leak-free my engines were, whether on old British crocks or SB Chevys. It was because I was the only guy there torquing the oil pans and valve covers in a pattern with a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like knowing torque specs and wish every single fastener for every device came with them.
View Quote

Is that Bun-Bun of sci-fi novel fame in your avatar?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And this is why I've never let any other mechanic work on a car I that I really cared about. I've seen "skilled" guys tested in the lab, digital data acquisition systems don't lie, but old mechanics and techs do without knowing it. My own personal feel was as good as any highly experienced tech/mechanic we tested - I'm the son of master machinist and have been turning wrenches all my life - but I still struggled to get within +/- 20% with any consistency, and sometimes I would miss by a mile. Back in the day, my buddies used to marvel at how leak-free my engines were, whether on old British crocks or SB Chevys. It was because I was the only guy there torquing the oil pans and valve covers in a pattern with a torque wrench.
View Quote

I think a lot would struggle to get within 20%. But we're not talking about that precise. I'm talking about the fasteners that have a very broad range. Outside of critical safety features, mated precision surfaces, gasketed surfaces, etc, the real torque spec is whatever preload is needed to keep the parts together and keep the fastener from backing out on the low end up to just under yielding of the fastener on the high end. Sometimes that can be a huge range, especially when using locking features or compounds because it drops the required minimum torque to a very low value.

If the torque spec was listed as 40-110 ft-lb you don't think you could hit it w/o a torque wrench? I can hit that range all day every day without missing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beyond certain bolts that need to hold a tensile load, this is the most used reason to use a torque wrench. CONSISTANCY on a gasket surface. Amazing how some people don't realize that when you warp a shitty stamped oil pan from having uneven torque, a rubber seal ain't gonna seal. And WHEN that happens, out comes the fucking tubes of red silicone and JB Weld.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#38]
While working as a maintenance supervisor in a factorythatmade industrial gearboxes, I had proposed to stop spending all the money on $400 impact wrenches, spare parts, and the labor for in house repairs. My budget had been cut and I no longer had the personnel to fix them. I showed the line engineer the $125 impact wrench which would be a throw away. I was told that it would tighten the bolts to specification. I asked him what the specification was for the assembly line that these impacts were used on. He didn't know. He gets back to me to say the assemblers were overtorquing everything and that the new impact wrenches were fine. The largest bolts was 5/8-11 and some took over 200 lb-ft to loosen. I'm glad we used good grade 5 bolts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
snip.  And WHEN that happens, out comes the fucking tubes of red silicone and JB Weld.
View Quote

Now you're talking my language!!

Seriously though, I'm sure my crappy Wheeler Fat Wrench is far from NASA calibrations standards, but when I use it to torque bases and rings while mounting scopes (as another poster said), it is fairly amazing how much less the spec'ed torque is than what I previously used.  

97% of the general work that I do tightening fasteners, none of which includes airplanes/rockets/international space stations/etc., is done without a torque wrench.  I break out the Hazard Fraught torque wrench when something looks "critical"... don't ask me to define that.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Important bits on engine, transmission, diffs get things torqued. Lug nuts get a torque stick.

Everything else is done by feel.

That's how production work gets done.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, 80 ft-lbs is a fuckload of torque! I've bolted on quite a few barrel nuts with a torque wrench set at 80 just so I know I wouldn't go over it and I've never maxxed it out, or don't know if I even came close.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I am pretty good at estimating torque, but when building an engine, I do not fuck around.  I probably have 5 torque wrenches, some pretty expensive, that mostly collect dust.

I was having issues with RAM wheel lugs snapping off. I bought a nice AC Delco after seeing it recommended here. It is an excellent piece of gear and I quickly found the lugs were not snapping due to torque, but due to metal fatigue, improper hardening, or just generally shitty metallurgy.  Torque spec is 130 ft/lbs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I found out this weekend that owners manual on my motorcycle has wrong torque value listed for oil filter cover bolts.

20 minute oil change became a 4 hour extraction job when righty tighty became righty loosey at spec 9 ft-lbs.

Research afterwards shows I am not the first and 6 to 7 ft-lbs is what value should have read in manual.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
It's pretty clear that some in here don't use tq wrenches cause yall are wound waaaay too fuckin tight.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back in the '70s I bought a $12 Sears beam style torque wrench.
For rods and mains mostly.

I doubt it was any more accurate than my " feels right + a little more " method, lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#49]
HF ones are ok for tires/rims at the track.  I use torque sticks to run them on and use a torque wench to finish.  I wouldn't use a HF one to rebuild an engine unless its be calibrated.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would wager that far less than 50% of the fasteners on the average automobile have a listed torque spec.
View Quote

Now you're going to make me go and count in my service manual for my car.

In general, though, if it has a hex head it gets a torque spec listed.  Phillips or Torx, not so much.

But, as you say, the actual torque needed to hold many parts together reliably isn't exactly the spec but a number with a huge plus/minus range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top