Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/1/2021 7:39:39 PM EDT
The time has come for my 13 year old Yellow Lab/Nasser Hound mix to leave this would.  We took him in as a stray 9 years ago.  I am heart broken.  He follows me everywhere.

I would rather have him go at home rather than alone at the vet.  COVID does not allow me to be with him.

I have been told that an overdose of Benadryl will put him to sleep.  I could also give him percaset to make sure it is not painful.

Internet information isn't definitive.  Anyone know if this will work and is humane?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My vet does house calls for this sort of thing.   Don’t try it yourself.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Local places do this sort of thing.  Don't try to DIY.  You'd feel like shit if it went wrong.
I wanna say the house call service was around $400.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No telling that he would tolerate and absorb oral meds and actually receive a lethal dose.

Internet is stupid.

Call your vet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Gonna be hard for you to see him go understandably.  OD him on the Percs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a vet come to our house.  
It was very peaceful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My vet handles large animals and came out to do it. I have a separate horse vet that could have come too. If your usual vet won't call around for a large animal vet that will.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
We did that with our family dog.

It’s humane and much more calm than having one last scary visit to the vet. The doc will come over, make sure it’s time, and then put them to sleep. My dad was holding our pup when she did it.. he said it was a nice way and brought him a lot of closure.

I’m sorry OP. losing a beloved pet is like losing a family member.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I regret immensely that I wasn’t more proactive and had the vet do this at home when I knew he was close.  As it was, ending up having to make a quick trip to vet when he went downhill and every time I drive by the vets office I relive that day...and regret my lack of proactivity even more.

Call the vet.  It isn’t that expensive and the piece of mind you’ll gain will be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Please dont do it yourself. Your first post on a gun forum is this? Hmm...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
So very sorry. my wife and I put down our 16 year old tabby the Monday before x-mas. A vet (Lap of Love) that specialized in end of life came to the house, everyone masked up. I couldn't imagine doing it myself, but it was certainly time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Two very odd first posts in here.

Internet is untrustworthy so you ask...the internet?

Don't do it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My vet told me benadryl would calm my dog in the car.
How much should i give him?
Vet said how long is the drive, give him all you want it won't hurt him, just keep him groggy longer
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in my vets office the other day.
I thought illinois was bad.

Sorry about your buddy
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The time has come for my 13 year old Yellow Lab/Nasser Hound mix to leave this would.  We took him in as a stray 9 years ago.  I am heart broken.  He follows me everywhere.

I would rather have him go at home rather than alone at the vet.  COVID does not allow me to be with him.

I have been told that an overdose of Benadryl will put him to sleep.  I could also give him percaset to make sure it is not painful.

Internet information isn't definitive.  Anyone know if this will work and is humane?
View Quote
@bassador

http://www.inhomevets.com/euthanasia.htm

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=delaware+at+home+euthanasia
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had two of mine done at home by a visiting vet.

Very peaceful, gentle and calming.

It's worth the expense.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m a vet. I am sorry about your pup. Please don’t even think about trying to do this at home. Benadryl isn’t going to do crap and Percocet is poorly absorbed in dogs and even if you can get enough in to kill him- you can’t and won’t because it will cause vomiting-it will be a terrible way to go.  It’s not going to be quick and he will suffer.  It would be better to shoot him in the head than trying your plan.  My vet clinic is not letting people inside except for euthanasia so call around and find someone who is too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m a vet. I am sorry about your pup. Please don’t even think about trying to do this at home. Benadryl isn’t going to do crap and Percocet is poorly absorbed in dogs and even if you can get enough in to kill him- you can’t and won’t because it will cause vomiting-it will be a terrible way to go.  It’s not going to be quick and he will suffer.  It would be better to shoot him in the head than trying your plan.  My vet clinic is not letting people inside except for euthanasia so call around and find someone who is too.
View Quote

Thanks for posting this.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top