Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
I keep stacking projects up, but I really need to address this one sometime this year.

I have three entry doors that are not ideal.

Front door:  It’s solid original 1930 construction. I’ve tried, it’s not caving in from a kick attack. Problem is,  it’s of an old lock design (easily picked) and I don’t even have a key. Problem #2, it leaks air around all four sides and the wood is not blocking the single digit cold weather from radiating in.

Side door was replaced at some point. It’s got a pine frame and glass next to the deadbolt. No question I could kick it in. It’s also uninsulated.

Garage door:  It’s from 2017, but same as the side door but with less glass. Kicking it in won’t be a challenge, even though I did reinforce the frame at the dead bolt a little. Uninsulated.

I really want a level IIA door on the front, but I need something better now, not when I can afford such fancy things.

Needs to be hard to kick in (I live in the hood), needs to have minimal glass (or none for the front door), needs to be at least not conducting cold.

What is out there?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What about adding a storm door outside the existing door (look on Home Depot etc,  LINK some are made with burglar bars some places ) and installing a single cylinder Medico deadbolt and better strike plate LINK Add some weather stripping to control air leaks.  
You can always screw expanded steel or aluminum over the window in the side door to slow them down.  Make sure the hinges are not on the outside if they are then pin them by drilling both sides install a nail with the head cut off so that it prevents a closed door from lifting off the hinge.

Some burglars don't like to break glass it cuts you and makes noise and is very noticeable in front,  on the sides and in back it's more concern.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about adding a storm door outside the existing door (look on Home Depot etc,  LINK some are made with burglar bars some places ) and installing a single cylinder Medico deadbolt and better strike plate LINK Add some weather stripping to control air leaks.  
You can always screw expanded steel or aluminum over the window in the side door to slow them down.  Make sure the hinges are not on the outside if they are then pin them by drilling both sides install a nail with the head cut off so that it prevents a closed door from lifting off the hinge.

Some burglars don't like to break glass it cuts you and makes noise and is very noticeable in front,  on the sides and in back it's more concern.
View Quote

I have security doors on the house doors (the wrought iron type), but a chain and a pickup truck can yank those off.

City code won’t let me add new ones, so the garage is out on it’s own.

All doors swing in, countering the pin attack method (which is an easy way to open doors).

I was gonna replace the front security door with the impact glass version. Can’t chain to it easily.

I was going to switch to Mul-T or Protec2 locks with the new doors.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I to have an almost similar issue
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have these in my garage, and they are easy to use and feel pretty confident they well hold up very well. they are bolted  on each side with three 3.5”
lag bolts and they’re only a few bucks apiece

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379420/5D9F7043-C48B-4BBF-9624-B53320F03848-1816099.jpg
View Quote

Did you fabricate them brackets yourself?  Any dimensions if someone wants to make them theirselves?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, just picked it up at the big box store...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you fabricate them brackets yourself?  Any dimensions if someone wants to make them theirselves?

No, just picked it up at the big box store...

What are they called if you dont mind me asking?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top