Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2019 2:30:30 PM EDT
I decided to try a bundle of JR Alternatives, specifically their Arturo Fuente Hemingway knockoffs. They're thin perfecto's, and I've had 5 of them so far...

All 5 were super tight, to the point where I could barely smoke them! I tried rolling the last one on a table under my palm, and cut a little more off, but it didn't help. I still felt like I was smoking from a straw with ice blocking the other side.

Before I toss them, any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave em in the humidor for another month or two. Sometimes they come in wet, and will loosen a little with dryness and time.

You can also dry box them, just put them in an old cigar box (or leave them out on the counter, whatever) for a day before you smoke.

Final option I know of is use a long, thin piece of metal to pierce the length of the cigar. Sometimes that will open it enough to make it smokeable. They make cigar tools for this, or you can use a nail, stiff piece of wire, whatever.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
As suggested.

Let them age. Check back in 6 months.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried a really long nail today on one... No luck.

Also cut off over an inch of another... Nope.

Guess I'm just going to bury them in the humidor for the winter. I got another bundle of JR Alternatives, but Cohibas this time, and they're much better
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
They are most likely over humidified.

Try adding a 56% Rh Boveda pack, and dry box a few. Generally most cigar problems can be solved with time. Try clipping a few and placing them into the humidor to help evacuate the excess humidity. Dry boxing, or just keeping the cigar in a covered/protected container to allow the humidity to gently evaporate prior to smoking will generally help.

The PerfecDraw removes some of the tobacco rather than forcing a hole into the cigar which may lead to splitting. You insert the tool 1/2 inch then pull it straight out, test and repeat as required. Over rolling/compaction plus over humidification= tent stake.

Try lowering the humidity and dry boxing first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top