Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 10:57:30 AM EDT
I'm in school at the moment going into mechanical engineering, it would be interesting to see how an economic disaster like this effects the field.

Are companies furloughing engineers?
Are most of you forced to work at home or less hours?
I would imagine something like this situation we're in now would cause a lot of hiring freezes, have you seen anything like that yet?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
With most large manufacturing facilities shut down...a solid yes.  Maybe some software people are working from home.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I work in the mechanical engineering field for a small custom industrial automation company. I'm working from home, that's about the only change day-to-day. We've actually had a few orders come in during this we weren't expecting, and talk via some channels is we may get swamped coming out of this since our systems typically replace humans. Time will tell I guess, but we aren't slowing down at all at the moment, and hopefully it stays that way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Oil and gas industry is in a bad place right now.  Probably cutting workforce, but refineries and other ops are essential.  Price of oil and lack of usage (nobody driving/flying) is the issue here, of course.

Buddy of mine is an ArchE and all his ski-area consulting work is dead.

We are full staff, full pay, working from home and customer sites when we are allowed.  Mostly engineers.  So far, so good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Had to take a few vacation days, and some orders are dropping off, but other than that we're still here at work...
Aluminum die caster, biggest customer is the trucking industry, so #essentialemployee letters and all that jazz...
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have transferred my comp to my home and am working from here.  But I do work as an engineer for the .gov.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m working from home. The coffee is better and I don’t have to wear shoes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Mech Eng here.

Essential industry and my workload is far enough in advance of manufacturing that even if I wasn't essential it would still have no impact. I can continue slaving away ahead of manufacturing. I went from teleworking 1 day a week to 100% telework. I need management approval just to go in to the office.

The only thing I can foresee becoming an issue would be a cash-flow problem forcing a furlough of all employees... that won't be happening in my industry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Mechanical engineer in the computer chip equipment market. We have a new machine coming out in a few months. First time I ever got paid over time. Upper management does not want the schedule to slip. Work at home on design. Go into work for working on equipment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope.  .gov "engineer"
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
We build guidance systems and medical devices
Busy as heck. They still furloughed me for two weeks (non- consecutive)
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems pretty rough for the young guys in training.  I have one kid that’s a junior who had his internship cancelled at two potentials, he had multiple friends a year ahead have internships shutdown and not get the expected job offer for graduation.

We have completely ruined the lives and educations of millions of young adults to try to futility save, with the deception of a few outliers which you already get from a multitude of medical issues,
A few hundred thousand people with a median age of 80 and three significant comorbiditites from dying within months of their statistical and actuarial death.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Check LinkedIn, the Boeing engr summer interns all seem to be a happy bunch!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It has here in central Florida, myself a about six others were put on furlough in mid September, a small engineering company with about 50 employees.
There might be a call back in February.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#15]
In power industry, gas turbine field services. No slowdown international or domestic.   Just makes travel difficult
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
ME working from home here.

No change to salary or hours.

Manufacturing side had a short furlough, followed by overtime to make it up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check LinkedIn, the Boeing engr summer interns all seem to be a happy bunch!
View Quote

I'm assuming you're joking, and their internships were cancelled?

Wouldn't recommend an engineer go into high tech or aviation if they want a stable job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
ME here in natural gas distribution. Had to start working from home but no other changes really. My position is more of a project 'engineer' than any real engineering work though
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of our engineers are working from home whenever practical.  So far development hasn't stopped but orders have slowed significantly so it's only a matter of time before cuts are necessary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]
ME here working in analysis, redesign, and troubleshooting systems rather than designing new ones. Our firm has been super busy. I've taken on several projects where the client switched gears from building a new facility to refurbishing an existing which translates into analysis work and redesign for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
A history of Covid effect on work.  End February plant shut down and we were all sent home.  I returned after 6 weeks.  Since I got back I'm pushing 60 hours a week minimum.  We have people rotating in and out for illness or quarantine nonstop.  Work has to get done so some of us pick up the slack.  I'd say for the last 10 months I haven't had the same team of people on-site from one week to the next.  Someone different is gone every Monday and comes back in a week or two.

Desk jockey engineers telework as much as possible.  I'm a hands on research and process development engineer.  I'm on site everyday all day.  I've been authorized to travel and fly to review mission critical subcontracts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm in school at the moment going into mechanical engineering, it would be interesting to see how an economic disaster like this effects the field.

Are companies furloughing engineers?
Are most of you forced to work at home or less hours?
I would imagine something like this situation we're in now would cause a lot of hiring freezes, have you seen anything like that yet?
View Quote

I have been working from home since March 17 of last year.  My 401k match was suspended for 6 or 8 months and raises were canceled last year along with bonuses.  We are getting about half of last years bonus this year due to things going better than expected and raises should be happening this year.  We are an essential business.   We support everything from transportation, to oil and gas, to military, to medical, to ag, and so on.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have been working from home since March 17 of last year.  My 401k match was suspended for 6 or 8 months and raises were canceled last year along with bonuses.  We are getting about half of last years bonus this year due to things going better than expected and raises should be happening this year.  We are an essential business.   We support everything from transportation, to oil and gas, to military, to medical, to ag, and so on.  

View Quote

Have you considered leaving?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is actually a pretty good place to work. Pay and benefits are decent and I like the people I work with.  The main reason why I would leave is to get out of Illinois. The job is the main reason I am still here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
ME here.  Graduated in 2001 and have been through a few storms now.   This one isn't any worse than the others, like post 9-11, 2008 crash, 2015, and others.

I've worked at the same Fortune 200 throughout and we're as strong as ever.   We've made the adjustment to work from home with essential folks supporting production and R&D going in as needed.

If you can make sure you are maximizing your EE and Computer Engineering electives as that is the shift most ME's will have to make as mechanical systems continue to get more and more complex with controls.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Job openings at lower to mid level engineers are abundant.
Need 1-3 architects with experience, FE level mechanical and electrical, structural technician, general technician/modeler
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m working from home. The coffee is better and I don’t have to wear shoes.
View Quote

If you smash your foot into the coffee table and break a toe, will OSHA fine your company?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you smash your foot into the coffee table and break a toe, will OSHA fine your company?
View Quote

I think I had to sign something in my work from home agreement about that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I get to work from home 100% of the time if I want to. Saving a ton on gas, lunch money and insurance. I have more time to spend with my family and get stuff done around the house.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I am not an engineer.  I am a three semesters of calc, one semester of stats for science, engineering, math majors as an undergrad with another semester of stats as I went from being Mr. To Dr. Ramairthree.

I have a few kids that went the Engineer and Comp. Engineering or Comp Sci route, plus a couple dozen of their friends.

The decades long shift from an production, wealth generating economy to a service wealth concentrating economy has shifted wealth concentration into the business, finance, law, political, and social elite at the expense of engineering, life sciences, physical sciences, and medical types.

Social justice factors have also shifted money from them to underperformers and under represented types.

COVID cut a ton of engineering plans and projects.  Cancelled a lot of job offers and shut down a lot of internships.

The current administration hammered the petroleum industry.

CompE / Comp Sci types were sitting pretty until the mortgage / interest rate fiasco.

STEM professionals are currently in this bind of being used as a tax source to buy votes from shitbags while the elite skim off the top.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope.  .gov "engineer"
View Quote

Same here.  Got hired during Covid.  Dept of Transportation was deemed "essential".  We still get one day a week remote if we want, as long as are projects remain on time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I am an EE working for a company that makes machines that test transistors and diodes. We went through some big changes with supply chain problems, capacitors we needed sitting in boats off Long beach for 6 months and have to redesign since we couldn't get them, stuff like that.

Also servicing our machines became a nightmare. Our service reps in China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, The U.K., Belgium and Mexico were unable to enter facilities to service machines so I was in constant emergency mode working 10 hours a day then going home to have Teams meeting with customers every night.

We didn't shut down, but we took advantage of the space we had and separated people by at least one cubical in engineering which I actually like. Now I have two back to back cubicles.

The legacy is that now everyone bitches if you come to work sick. I come from a 22 year career as a carpenter where taking a day off sick is stupid. I called in sick to a boss once who told me "Why would you want to take a day off when you feel like shit?", now if I work a day sick, then a week later others get sick I get scolded for bring a bug into the office even though they could have caught it anywhere. (Not by my boss, but by Karens in the office)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top