Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 6:20:31 PM EDT
I need to buy a trailer for a track car.  I have no idea what I need to know.  

I will be buying this in the Northwest of the lower 48. Ideally in Spokane or SLC. Buying or towing to Alaska is not a consideration.

Help me out guys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
When it comes to trailers and trailering ..spend the money and buy QUALITY.
I have seen some bad bad wrecks caused from trailers and trailer problems on the interstates
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Op...These folks built us a nice 34' enclosed trailer to our specs in 1998 and I to this day feel it was one of the best buys I ever made in my life. Wife was racing NHRA Super Comp and we needed a full blown race trailer for her. Bruce took the order himself over the phone with just a couple of hand sketches and then delivered it to Texas for us. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

All that being said I have NO idea of what you need the trailer to do for you. From what little I know the campers/rvs that go to AK have heated bottoms and other special features that I no nothing about.
http://www.brucelitton.com/
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They’re all junk.

Kidding. Kinda.  Look over the one your buying extensively. Because quality doesn’t seem to be brand dependent in my experience.  Changes by the day.  Or I’d you have the coin, go ATC or Featherlight.

Edit.

I’d go heavier than you need on axles.
Torsion rides better.
Name brand (lippert or dexter)
Brakes on both
All LED
One piece roof
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The trailer should never be going to Alaska.  The race car lives in Utah. My race partners live there.  We race mostly in the Northwest and California.  

The car is a Miata. We do budget endurance racing. Mostly Lemons and ChampCar.  

I think I need around 20 feet. We need room for the car plus tires, spares, etc.  Two 5000lb axles seems to be minimum.  I don't think we will ever need to haul two cars at once.

Tow rig is a one ton diesel pickup.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch your gcwr. Go over 26k gross combined or the trailer is over 10k gross rating and you are in cdl territory.

A lot depends on how the team is setup. Handshake group or paperwork LLC, s Corp, other.

Get hit by a bored trooper with the trailer registered to a group without a cdl fines will be scary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch your gcwr. Go over 26k gross combined or the trailer is over 10k gross rating and you are in cdl territory.

A lot depends on how the team is setup. Handshake group or paperwork LLC, s Corp, other.

Get hit by a bored trooper with the trailer registered to a group without a cdl fines will be scary.
View Quote

The car is owned by the group.  The trailer will me mine, on loan to the group. I don't think we will be in that weight range anyway.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
This has my interest as well, but until I spring for a better truck to pull it with it is just a daydream.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
After you buy it inspect the wheel bearings at least the adjustment if not a repack and lug nut torque. Make sure you have a spare tire for the trailer and all of the tools to change it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the same boat kinda.

Though I'm looking for a 7x14 or 7.5x14 ish size(Probably aluminum frame) that my v8 4Runner can pull. For now it'll be camping stuff and dirt bikes. In the future probably a 4 seater side by side.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. For the size i'm looking at w/ an aluminum frame they are around 6-7k new. Just not sure if one brand is better then the other.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't go any less than 24' preferably 28'. I know the miatas are short, but you will use the extra room (golf cart?). Check the roof closely, they all eventually leak.

Where do you plan to park it while you're not using it. Flooring is important too. If you park on (sometimes wet) dirt, they can rot from underneath. Get it wired for 110V you can run it off a generator or 30A RV outlet. Battery chargers, AC, fans, air compressors etc... are nice to have. Do you want a wench inside? It can be handy when loading a disabled car with only a couple of people.

Think about what you need now and down the road. Don't paint yourself into a corner. There is a good trailer section on YB.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
They all pull like shit and act like a parachute behind you.

Yes even the V nose or slant V or whatever other shape they entice you with.

Never go under the max width. Width is the first measurement that cramps your style

Go long enough to get all the gear and cabinets you want, and remember weight distribution with the car and being able to walk around it for strapping and driving in and out

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll also say this.

They pull so hard behind a truck you'll swear something is wrong.

People forget that the length of the box acts on the wind not just the front cap.

Add on a AC unit or two, and it gets worse

My 2019 Cummins would get down to single digits in the hills with our trailer hauling a SxS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top