Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2020 10:12:45 AM EDT
I'm gonna install a 120V 30Amp toggle switch inside the house to control my 120V 11/16.8Amp 3/4HP shallow well pump. Will use the black wire in the 10/2 Romex for the 15' run from the 20Amp well breaker in the main breaker panel to the switch inside. Question, as long as I wrap black tape tags to both ends of the white return wire at the interior switch and wire nut to the well hot inside the breaker panel I'm OK? Is this is acceptable code wise?

Asking for house insurance reasons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
tagging for response from a real electrician.

I've been reading the NEC a lot because I'm going to wire my own house next year.
I think that is a no. My reading is that is no longer allowed and the white wire can only be tagged black on the device/light side of the switch, not from the switch to the breaker. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen it done before though uncommon. It's technically referred to as re-purposed or re-tasked. I though about using 10-3 with a red, white and black wires and just not use the white but that opens up a can of worms with it's usual 240V application.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're worried about insurance issues, just pay an electrician to do the work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a sharpie marker to re-identify, tape is not permanent. This is an exception for a cable assembly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're worried about insurance issues, just pay an electrician to do the work.
View Quote

So you don't have the answer? It figures.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use a sharpie marker to re-identify, tape is not permanent. This is an exception for a cable assembly.
View Quote

Good idea. Thanks PNFLDS!

DW asked me if I could put in a switch after the house across the street that is uninhabited and for sale just flooded from a water heater failure and the well pump ran for a week or so and flooded the entire house. She wants an easy way to shut off the well when we go out of town.

Thanks again PNFLDS.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sharpie is acceptable. For the purpose of making a neutral/white into a hot/black tape doesn’t cut it. Tape is for phase identification.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If i read this correctly you are just using a switch with a single 10/2 from the panel? I believe that is technically a code violation

What you are describing doesn't make sense to me

10/2 romex to a switch box, black wire on the switch. From well pump the black wire goes on the other switch screw and you wire nut the whites together in the switch box

Unless you are making it 240 volt you shouldn't be tagging any white wire in the panel.

If you got a pic i could help more
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If i read this correctly you are just using a switch with a single 10/2 from the panel? I believe that is technically a code violation

What you are describing doesn't make sense to me

10/2 romex to a switch box, black wire on the switch. From well pump the black wire goes on the other switch screw and you wire nut the whites together in the switch box

Unless you are making it 240 volt you shouldn't be tagging any white wire in the panel.

If you got a pic i could help more
View Quote

I think he is saying leave wire to pump untouched (except pull it from the breaker). Run new romex from panel to switch. Power for pump runs on the black conductor from breaker to switch then back to panel on white conductor. White conductor is then bonded to black conductor going to pump.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think he is saying leave wire to pump untouched (except pull it from the breaker). Run new romex from panel to switch. Power for pump runs on the black conductor from breaker to switch then back to panel on white conductor. White conductor is then bonded to black conductor going to pump.
View Quote

Exactly. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly. Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Thanks.

This makes way more sense. OP is making a switch loop out of his panel. New 10-2 Romex will have black from breaker to switch, and white from switch to existing well pump's black in the panel that was removed from the breaker. Existing well pump's white will remain on the neutral bus in the panel. Just creating a switch loop that begins and ends in the panel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top