Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 10:03:29 AM EDT
I want to be able to slice different meats at home and need a good slicer. I know alot of you make your own jerky and I'm wondering if any of you had a good recommendation for one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not recommending a specific brand, but drive type. I have one that has a plastic gear between the motor and blade that has shredded several gears. It's my fault for not lubing it with silicone grease, but I will admit ignorance at the time.

While fighting to get the old one running properly, I picked up one that has a drive belt. It is slightly bigger but seems rock solid. I did get an extra belt, just in case.

My primary use is for slicing pork bellies/bacon maybe twice a year. So, not heavy use. I do keep the blades very sharp.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother just bought one. When he told me I was like wtf for? I was picturing a big heavy thing like the butcher has, I didn’t even know they made small home use ones. Think he said it’s something like a 7-1/4” or 1/2” blade. He got it off Amazon and it came with a couple blades. Probably a lower end unit. So far he really likes it though. Uses it for jerky and that sort a lot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one of these at home. It's bigger than some of the other home ones but has lasted so much longer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQH636Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_DGydGbFRF6PSW
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are you located? I have a professional Hobart slicer I used in my restaurant.  It is heavy, but is a beast.  Used to slice everything from cold cuts to brisket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be able to slice different meats at home and need a good slicer. I know alot of you make your own jerky and I'm wondering if any of you had a good recommendation for one.

Where are you located? I have a professional Hobart slicer I used in my restaurant.  It is heavy, but is a beast.  Used to slice everything from cold cuts to brisket.

South Florida, outside Fort Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]

first thing i thought of was kramer and an image/link to arf was a top hit. lol.  linky...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Meat-Slicers-for-home-----How-are-the-Avantco-/5-2250333/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have recently found that they are great for slicing home made bread with a serrated blade
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Check some restaurant auction websites. You might be able to grab a nice commercial model for a deal. Then again down in FL your governor wasn’t such a leaky douche like what I have in PA. There are tons of restaurants closing around here and restaurant gear is going to be everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried forever to find one in the classifieds. Would have loved to find an old butcher shop slicer for a reasonable price.

Ended up with a Cabelas mid tier one. It works ok, could use more power.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not recommending a specific brand, but drive type. I have one that has a plastic gear between the motor and blade that has shredded several gears. It's my fault for not lubing it with silicone grease, but I will admit ignorance at the time.

While fighting to get the old one running properly, I picked up one that has a drive belt. It is slightly bigger but seems rock solid. I did get an extra belt, just in case.

My primary use is for slicing pork bellies/bacon maybe twice a year. So, not heavy use. I do keep the blades very sharp.
View Quote

Yeah if you go with one of the 100-200 dollar ones off a WalMart shelf get belt driven. Dont expect easy quick deli slices. RPM on the kind of "home use" models is very slow and you have to really let the motor do the work and not force it lest you end up burning out gears. The Hobart slicers get it fucking done but come at the cost of how huge and heavy they are and are very pricey if you dont find some out of business restaurant fire saling one. They are a bitch to clean too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don’t work well for jerky or any really tender meats. I have a Sunbeam for cheese and lunch meat. For jerky it’s hard to beat a good sharp knife and slightly frozen meat. For turkey breast and brisket it’s hard to beat an electric knife.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I want to get one too. Been looking for something in craigs list but it is kinda dead now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't give up on places like CL and FB market place.
Also if you have any friends that do BBQ competitions have them ask around.

I picked up this old Toledo for $50.00, they are out there.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top