Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2020 10:03:02 AM EDT
This past Saturday was "Egg Day", what doesn't have a "Day" anymore?

My wife read me an article that said "healthy people can eat up to 6 eggs a week". (Yes, I can read, I was driving at the time.)

I eat 8 eggs for breakfast everyday.  

Any nutritional or health experts that can weigh in with a non BS take on eggs?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This past Saturday was "Egg Day", what doesn't have a "Day" anymore?

My wife read me an article that said "healthy people can eat up to 6 eggs a week". (Yes, I can read, I was driving at the time.)

I eat 8 eggs for breakfast everyday.  

Any nutritional or health experts that can weigh in with a non BS take on eggs?
View Quote

How are you eating these 8 eggs per day? Fried, Scrambled, boiled, raw/blended with other ingredients?

and Whole eggs just the whites?

I have no room to tell another how to eat with my phat ass, but 8 eggs a day does seem like it might be a bit much.

Also, do you do a serious workout at least once a day?

I know a guy who says he has to consume 5K+ calories a day.  He works out twice a day and looks like he could be a professional body builder.  
He works for the same company in a different state, but he came in for a week or so to help with some big tower projects...
I kinda thought he was BSing about how much food he needed or Fuel as he called it.
When we went to lunch, he seriously ate two whole meals, like it was normal...

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How are you eating them? Fried, Scrambled, boiled, raw/blended with other ingredients?

View Quote

8 whole eggs in a frying pan with a little bit of butter for no-stick.  Sunday side up, nice and runny

No salt, a little bit of pepper.  

I have had cholesterol screenings every year for several years, my total cholesterol is 200, LDL 133, HDL 68.  The cholesterol and LDL are right on the edge of "borderline high".

ETA:

I workout hard for 40 minutes every day and then walk 2-5 miles every evening.  I am 6'3" and right at 200 lbs, down from 235 lbs earlier this year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I eat 4-6 eggs every morning, sunny side up, just enough butter to coat the pan.

And 2-3 slices of toast.

And a 10oz coffee.

Sometimes I'll switch it up and put the eggs in tortillas with cheese and salsa.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Despite that small window of time where they told us otherwise, eggs are very good for you. I can eat 6 a day easy enough.

Cholesterol is a good thing, it helps control your hormones.

Obviously if it was very high you might have to work on it a bit, but I think a few studies have found that dietary cholesterol has a very minor effect on blood levels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 4-5 eggs fried in butter everyday for breakfast. My bad cholesteral is normal or below every blood test. I'm 73. ??
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My cholesterol was through the roof on my last blood test. I am trying to cut down on them to see if it actually makes a difference. Before that I would eat at least 3 a day during the week and usually 8 on weekend days.

Eggs are amazing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had cholesterol screenings every year for several years, my total cholesterol is 200, LDL 133, HDL 68.  The cholesterol and LDL are right on the edge of "borderline high".
View Quote

Your cholesterol numbers don't add up.  Total Cholesterol = HDL + LDL + Triglycerides/5.  Last time I had a total cholesterol test, my numbers were similar to yours  82 (HDL) + 113 (LDL) + 10 (Triglycerides of 50/5) = Total Cholesterol of 205.

For my most recent test (this year) I wanted a direct measurement so I paid extra for an NMR Lipoprofile that give you LDP-P, HDL-P, and LDL size.  My LDL-P was ~50% above normal (generally bad), but small LDL-P was <90 (117 is the lowest number on the lower/higher risk scale - anything below 117 is minimal risk/top 25% of population) and my LDL Size was 22.1 (23.0 was high/healthier on scale, 20.6 was to 25% of population).  All that means even my vegan PA grudgingly agrees that my cardiovascular health is excellent and CV disease risk is minimal.  She keeps trying to get me to eat more healthy whole grains and beans though because "you need that fiber".  LOL - I eat a huge green salad for lunch every day about ~1 pound or more of roasted vegetables almost every night for dinner.  Poop level is just fine

133 is getting to a level that may warrant some investigation, like getting an NMR test.
Weight seems good.  Are you healthy, with good BP?

Not a doc, but I read a lot.  If you're concerned, get an NMR test.  Do you know your APO E status?

For me, using a total cholesterol test, I tend to run on the high edge of healthy when I'm lean and if I get fat, I get up into the unhealthy scores.  I lost 35 pounds this year and ran the NMR test.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Obviously if it was very high you might have to work on it a bit, but I think a few studies have found that dietary cholesterol has a very minor effect on blood levels.
View Quote

For about 75% of the population.  The other 25% have stronger responses to dietary cholesterol.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your cholesterol numbers don't add up.  Total Cholesterol = HDL + LDL + Triglycerides/5.  Last time I had a total cholesterol test, my numbers were similar to yours  82 (HDL) + 113 (LDL) + 10 (Triglycerides of 50/5) = Total Cholesterol of 205.

For my most recent test (this year) I wanted a direct measurement so I paid extra for an NMR Lipoprofile that give you LDP-P, HDL-P, and LDL size.  My LDL-P was ~50% above normal (generally bad), but small LDL-P was <90 (117 is the lowest number on the lower/higher risk scale - anything below 117 is minimal risk/top 25% of population) and my LDL Size was 22.1 (23.0 was high/healthier on scale, 20.6 was to 25% of population).  All that means even my vegan PA grudgingly agrees that my cardiovascular health is excellent and CV disease risk is minimal.  She keeps trying to get me to eat more healthy whole grains and beans though because "you need that fiber".  LOL - I eat a huge green salad for lunch every day about ~1 pound or more of roasted vegetables almost every night for dinner.  Poop level is just fine

133 is getting to a level that may warrant some investigation, like getting an NMR test.
Weight seems good.  Are you healthy, with good BP?

Not a doc, but I read a lot.  If you're concerned, get an NMR test.  Do you know your APO E status?

For me, using a total cholesterol test, I tend to run on the high edge of healthy when I'm lean and if I get fat, I get up into the unhealthy scores.  I lost 35 pounds this year and ran the NMR test.
View Quote

I went back and looked at the wellness provider website, those are from different years, they don't have all the tests uploaded from the same years

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
How old are you, OP?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How old are you, OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was your cholesterol test at 235 or 200?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been 200 +/-2 each of the last three years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

This morning’s breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my employees raises chickens and I buy eggs from her.  My god I could eat 8 in a sitting easily.  My cholesterol is never off when the run blood work but I don't eat them every day either.  

One of my dad's friends, Charlie, who was like a second father to him lived to be 96. He was a skinny little, slight frail looking man. We used to take him to doc appointments and such out of town.  He was know for eating four eggs with a pound of bacon and an iron skillet full of homemade biscuits.  EVERY. MORNING.

One particular morning when I was about 10, my dad and I took him to an appointment out of town.  My dad asked if he had his breakfast. He replied, "yep, I had a bowl of oats and some toast."  The inquisitive youngster I was, I said, "You have to stop eating eggs and bacon because of your doctor telling yo to or something, Charlie?"  

He said, "Nope. I just got tired of bacon and eggs."  He then told us he had eaten Eggs and bacon and biscuits every morning for 58 years straight.  Just decided he had eaten them enough.  His numbers were always perfect and he died of pneumonia.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of my employees raises chickens and I buy eggs from her.  My god I could eat 8 in a sitting easily.  My cholesterol is never off when the run blood work but I don't eat them every day either.  

One of my dad's friends, Charlie, who was like a second father to him lived to be 96. He was a skinny little, slight frail looking man. We used to take him to doc appointments and such out of town.  He was know for eating four eggs with a pound of bacon and an iron skillet full of homemade biscuits.  EVERY. MORNING.

One particular morning when I was about 10, my dad and I took him to an appointment out of town.  My dad asked if he had his breakfast. He replied, "yep, I had a bowl of oats and some toast."  The inquisitive youngster I was, I said, "You have to stop eating eggs and bacon because of your doctor telling yo to or something, Charlie?"  

He said, "Nope. I just got tired of bacon and eggs."  He then told us he had eaten Eggs and bacon and biscuits every morning for 58 years straight.  Just decided he had eaten them enough.  His numbers were always perfect and he died of pneumonia.
View Quote

I guess the recommendations are over-generalized and as with many health related items the actual impact varies from person to person.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

8 whole eggs in a frying pan with a little bit of butter for no-stick.  Sunday side up, nice and runny

ETA:

I workout hard for 40 minutes every day and then walk 2-5 miles every evening.  I am 6'3" and right at 200 lbs, down from 235 lbs earlier this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you eating them? Fried, Scrambled, boiled, raw/blended with other ingredients?

ETA:

I ate 6 eggs a day for years when I was lifting hard all the time. Bloodwork was great. Eggs are good for you, don't believe otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]

I will have a dream tonight of those eggs floating on top of an appropriately sized serving of sausage gravy and biscuits.

Oh, ETA: I generally hard boil 2 dz eggs on Sunday, and eat then through the week.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I ate 6 eggs a day for years when I was lifting hard all the time. Bloodwork was great. Eggs are good for you, don't believe otherwise.
View Quote

Good for you / Bad for you is awfully simplistic.  Water is good for you unless you drink too much and get hyponatremia.

Eggs have beneficial nutrients like protein, choline, and Vitamin D.  Eggs are certainly not the villains that a sensationalist media sometime portrays, but eggs also have properties that may be unhealthy for some, especially when considering the person's broader diet and other health markers.

They probably aren't a huge deal for the OP given that he's not obese and his cholesterol numbers don't seem that bad, although he doesn't know his actual cholesterol numbers.

If the OP was concerned about his health, I provided a way for him to get more information.  If the OP just wanted affirmation of his behavior, well, he'll get that here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good for you / Bad for you is awfully simplistic.  Water is good for you unless you drink too much and get hyponatremia.

Eggs have beneficial nutrients like protein, choline, and Vitamin D.  Eggs are certainly not the villains that a sensationalist media sometime portrays, but eggs also have properties that may be unhealthy for some, especially when considering the person's broader diet and other health markers.

They probably aren't a huge deal for the OP given that he's not obese and his cholesterol numbers don't seem that bad, although he doesn't know his actual cholesterol numbers.

If the OP was concerned about his health, I provided a way for him to get more information.  If the OP just wanted affirmation of his behavior, well, he'll get that here.
View Quote

Thanks for the detail written above, I can't say I understood all of it.  

We didn't get health screenings this year at work do to COVID.  I should make an appointment with my general practioner and have the screenings done you recommended.  

and my poop is good too
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn.  I eat 4 eggs one day, usually Saturday, and I thought I was over the top.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I just ate 2 pickled eggs. They are one of the best snack foods you can make.

I'll probably go eat two more in a second.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just ate 2 pickled eggs. They are one of the best snack foods you can make.

I'll probably go eat two more in a second.
View Quote

Dang, it's been a while since I had pickled eggs.

They are so good!
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dang, it's been a while since I had pickled eggs.

They are so good!
View Quote

I'll batch 3-4 dozen at a time usually, I have a big pickle jar for them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a general statement. Yes, anything in excess is bad for you. Eggs, in general, are good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Dietary cholesterol has little affect on blood cholesterol for most people. Genetics and activity level matter much more. And carbs.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
My cholesterol sucks bigly. I had to take a pre-employment physical some time back and they checked it, came back at 498. I inherited it from my Dad I think. At first I was pissed that a zero cholesterol diet didn't improve it at all but now I think it's probably for the better. I don't need to feel bad about eating 6 eggs every morning or bacon, or anything else because it's going to suck anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dietary cholesterol has little affect on blood cholesterol for most people. Genetics and activity level matter much more. And carbs.

View Quote

Most being something like 75% of people from what I've read.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks for the detail written above, I can't say I understood all of it.  

We didn't get health screenings this year at work do to COVID.  I should make an appointment with my general practioner and have the screenings done you recommended.  

and my poop is good too
View Quote

Bottom line of what I wrote is that it's best to think of the total cholesterol test like an annunciator light, something that invites attention for more investigation.

I had elevated to borderline high numbers in the total cholesterol test, similar to yours, but the more detailed NMR test showed that my actual cardiac risk was very very low.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I ate 4 for lunch with some sausage and turkey bacon and I'm going to eat about 6 more before I go to sleep tonight..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top