Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Those little bikes can be a riot, I have a z125 and it's a hoot. I've even raced it at the track

I also have several other really fast bikes, I can't imagine just having a baby bike.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Saw a 'kid' leaving the local Community College about a mile from my house on a Grom. Followed him toward home and then laughed my @ss of as he hit the steep hill around the corner, his speed rapidly diminished to Warp -10 and he had to foot paddle to get it up the hill. I hate those goofy little POS's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just buy a grom if you want to look like a weirdo who makes poor life choices?

Saw a 'kid' leaving the local Community College about a mile from my house on a Grom. Followed him toward home and then laughed my @ss of as he hit the steep hill around the corner, his speed rapidly diminished to Warp -10 and he had to foot paddle to get it up the hill. I hate those goofy little POS's.

Projecting your hate because you can't ride and making up a story that didn't happen are not positive traits
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2020 Husky Vitpilen. Trading in my Tiger 955i.
View Quote

Vitpilens are really cool bikes but for the money there is no way I’d get one over a Street Triple RS. Lot more motorcycle..
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting one but mainly for when I go to the track, much easier to get around on a small moto then walking or driving.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one and it's AWESOME !!! It's not about going fast, it's about enjoying the ride! People always look and ask questions at stop lights/gas stop too and apparently it's a chick magnet as well or at least for me it is lol.

https://i.imgur.com/UF1eR06.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W0YSwBv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JwUyT5K.jpg
View Quote

@MNRidesHonda  you put Ohlins on a Monkey?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Grom’s have a strong following and people have a blast on them.  The Monkey is just the retro version of it.  It the world of motorcycling it would be great fun as a second bike, or in your case strictly as a commuter.   There’s some great video’s on YT of people with their Grom’s at the TOTD and other twistie spots and they are kicking it!  I think both of these fall into the ruckus craze, where there are a ton of inexpensive parts, tons of mods and tons of fun.  Not my cp of tea, but if it’s got two wheels I’m all for it
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Front and rear! I have Ohlins on all my bikes and I’ve been a fan for as long as I can remember. Plus the stock Monkey suspension isn’t that great, the Ohlins make a whole world of a different.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been wanting one but mainly for when I go to the track, much easier to get around on a small moto then walking or driving.
View Quote

Yeah, these bikes are pit bikes
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup. Front and rear! I have Ohlins on all my bikes and I’ve been a fan for as long as I can remember. Plus the stock Monkey suspension isn’t that great, the Ohlins make a whole world of a different.
View Quote

I gotta admit, that's pretty fuckin rad!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a gold mini trail 50 in my early teens and now I would like to have a Monkey.  The problem with any small bike on the street is that it lacks enough ass to get you out of trouble quickly if needed.  I still want one though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's cool they are making these smaller bikes again. They help get people into riding. Good college town get arounders. They are good bikes to put on the back of your motor home or trailer, for camping bikes. But at $4000 they aren't cheap for entry level/college kid folks. That said, there's eventually a used market that is more affordable.

I think the new E bikes may be the up coming thing though. If they can keep an entry level price, say in the 2K range. Not sure what they go for now, as I haven't looked. There's always a market for cheap transportation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Karen in a SUV will turn you into a hood ornament.
View Quote

This is why riding a motorcycle borders on insane around here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Karen in a SUV will turn you into a hood ornament.

A bike that small is even more dangerous because you're low and hard to see and lack the power to get out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You aren't getting a new KLR650 at the same price point.

View Quote

paid 3k for mine, 3k miles on it
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
There’s someone around here with a red Monkey. It would be at the extreme low end of what I’d ride here because of the speed limits and shifty drivers. I have no real use for one, but I still want one. If I lived somewhere with a little more sedate traffic and driving, I’d have one.

I’ve yelled, “Monkey!” more than once seeing the dude out on his. They give me a goofy smile every time I see one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a Grom and while it was great fun, it's kind of a shitty bike. It has an oil spinner and oil screen instead of a real pickup pump, to clean the oil screen you have to crack the cases openSome of the components are on the cheaper side of "economy" and under the plastics some parts had a cheep vibe.

I have been following the Monkey bikes for a while and I have heard several reports that they are not holding up well even compared to the cheapish Grom. Lots of rust issues with some of the cheaper parts which is unfortunate because I wanted one.

Guys also look at the new Trail cub 125, same motor but you even get a kick starter and spoked rims.
View Quote

Why does it look sooo badass

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
always wanted to travel thousands of miles on a smallish bike...

this guy rode across canada on a moped

https://mopedtrip.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife bought a Honda PCX150 scooter about 6 years ago.

It's very difficult to save money buying buying a commuter bike.

Yeah, 70mpg is a lot more that 25mpg, but you have to ride it a lot for it to add up to a significant about of money.
Then you have to consider insurance cost and only getting a few thousand miles out of tires.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys need to watch Ed March’s videos of him riding his C90 around the world. It’s like one continuous Top Gear special

Warning: field full of Indians shitting in this video,not graphic and from a distance but you can certainly tell it’s a designated shitting field.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Monkeys / Groms are for the "My wife doesnt want me to ride a dangerous motorcycle so i got a kids toy crowd"

problem is it is all of the risk without the guts to get out of the way. and you sit low so visibility will be crap.

Dump the same 3k into a nicely used japanese 250 dual sport. ride it for a year and see what you like.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are a blast. The mods list that you can do is crazy. If I didn’t have 7 bikes I’d buy one in a second. The guys in Europe make them more offroadish and do group camping tours all the time.
This is currently the most fun thing I own.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99195/4CAEB119-B1DF-42BA-86CA-87069DF94720_png-1779505.JPG
View Quote

Not my bike.  Me file size is too big for me to post a pic of mine.

KTM 350 XCF-W

Very agile.  Made it street legal a couple years ago.
Next step is extra set of wheels/tires/smaller sprocket...

The one I put together before that...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I would get a lightly used Suzuki DR400 Super Moto.  Way more power, you are taller so people can see you, and you can do a whole lot more with it.  Fun factor is still huge.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll admit that I'm always fascinated by these smaller bikes and scooters. Ridden a motorcycle for over 20 years, but not hard core and just for fun rides now and then. I had a Ninja 250 but sold it 2 years later because it did not have enough power on the highways. Turns out alot of my day to day use took me to 60 mph+ highways. The ninja could handle that way better than these 125's discussed here, but it still was just too underpowered for me.

If you get a small bike, you just have to be very realistic of their use. Around town and for short hops they can be a blast, but they are just not up to extended highway use. So if you use them appropriately, they can be great.

All that said, I also like the older, simpler style of bikes, and there is a Chinese clone of the honda trail 70. This simple and classic bike/scooter has been copied as the Ice Bear Champion 125cc. You can have one delivered for around $1300, and according to many reviews, it is a decent machine. Basic, low-tech design trail scooter. It looks like a lot of fun, and plenty of guys on YouTube have run them pretty hard with good results. Sure, a $4000 honda is way better, but these do well for the price. Just remember, it's a small bike for around town. You won't like it if you have a lot of highspeed use. My ninja 250 could hit 90mph and was a capable (underpowered) highway cruiser, but to me, it was too cumbersome for around town scoots, and out of it's class on the highway.

I'm also getting older, so I don't care as much anymore about how I look on the bike. I used to care and did not want to be seen on a smaller bike, but then I finally realized: who cares what some random person (might) think about you when you blast past them on a cheap scooter. They are fine for local, short trips at moderate speeds, but they do not cut it if you have virtually any highway use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I think i might end up getting a monkey this spring to tinker with just because of this thread. I do miss my trail 50 and 70 i rode as a kid, and i love bikes that have a lot of aftermarket customization options and that they are fairly low maintenence.

Ill toss one more pic in though just because i love my little ebike. Stock on the Sur Ron X you can get a top end of 50 mph, and a 30 mile range. With an upgraded battery and controller people are hitting 90+ mph with a 60 mile range. Way to fast for me on a small bike, but the option is there for those that want/need that kind of speed.

Stock with the 48t sprocket they have amazing low end torque and will destroy a grom or monkey off the line, and end up in about the same range on the top end. add a larger sprocket, and you can really increase your low end torque, with minimal loss on your top end speed. add a 64t and you will have so much low end torque you can power wheelie out to about 35 mph. They have a LOT of low end torque. Perfect for an around town commuter.

I think within the next year i would like to add a Zero, and a grom/monkey and i feel like with those options my bike fleet would be complete for my needs. It would leave me with two electric bikes, and a fun gas bike. Im not into long distance rides and i dont need freeway speeds most the time, but when i do, the zero would fit that need.

Anyways, here is my daily driver for now. Again, if you hate attention, dont get one. Every single person you meet or pass will chase you down to ask questions. They grab everyone's attention. I have had some nice classic cars in my day, and didnt get even a fraction of the attention i get on the sur ron. Kids, old people, dudes, chicks, everyone likes the sur ron and instantly wants one when they see it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Vitpilens are really cool bikes but for the money there is no way I’d get one over a Street Triple RS. Lot more motorcycle..
View Quote

Correct especially for the 701, I'm looking at the 401. The price point and what you get for it is a great deal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its like Franks, that that shit on everything.  I have Ohlins on my Italjet Dragster 180. Funny enough the part number is for a Grom rear.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I miss my childhood and riding around in huge orchards on an old honda trail 70.

Mom got drunk one night and decided she wanted to impress my neighbors by whiskey throttleing it all the way into a tractor tire.

I remember all i could think about was my chrome fender. Didnt check on mom. Just couldnt believe what she had done to my fender.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its like Franks, that that shit on everything.  I have Ohlins on my Italjet Dragster 180. Funny enough the part number is for a Grom rear.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263918/20201011_115018_resized_jpg-1780777.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its like Franks, that that shit on everything.  I have Ohlins on my Italjet Dragster 180. Funny enough the part number is for a Grom rear.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263918/20201011_115018_resized_jpg-1780777.JPG

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Forget the haters, the minibike craze has gotten more people onto 2 wheels than I've ever seen elsewhere. We do a lot of public group rides on sportbikes in the summer; the number of new faces have dwindled over the years. Cruise around and there are just mobs of Grom, Moneky, and Ruckus. These are about as close as you can get to having mechanized legs; they're light, nimble, and gas efficient, a complete hoot to ride.

I rebuilt mine for more power. I can beat Priuses and still get 70mpg. I didn't know squat about engines until I rebuilt the Grom, so easy to learn on.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]
i like the looks of the monkey over the grom.

y'all have convinced me to sit on slash look at both the monkey and the grom.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Forget the haters, the minibike craze has gotten more people onto 2 wheels than I've ever seen elsewhere. We do a lot of public group rides on sportbikes in the summer; the number of new faces have dwindled over the years. Cruise around and there are just mobs of Grom, Moneky, and Ruckus. These are about as close as you can get to having mechanized legs; they're light, nimble, and gas efficient, a complete hoot to ride.

I rebuilt mine for more power. I can beat Priuses and still get 70mpg. I didn't know squat about engines until I rebuilt the Grom, so easy to learn on.

https://i.imgur.com/RVqUtdl.jpg
View Quote

Yeah buddy. I'm tempted to build a adv Grom. I watched a YouTube video of a guy who built up a z125 adv. Badass.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just buy a grom if you want to look like a weirdo who makes poor life choices?

No, you didn't.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a cheapskate and went with the YSS on the rear of my Grom.  I didn't think it'd make a difference, but it's noticeable.  

Other than that, eliminated the rear fender and installed lower profile front and rear signals.  Also designed a module to allow the signals to act as side markers so they're mid-rate on with full rate signal.  Changed the mirrors too.

5'11 and 185 pounds.  I drive it to work now and again in the winter and summer on rural route roads, two stretches in the 15 miles that are 55mph about 3 miles each.  I can top out about 58.

Riding it to work in the winter is fun, 13 degrees is the lowest I've ridden it to work.  I really need better tires for that kind of riding, even though I don't ride in the snow with it.  Frost on the roads makes me a little nervous.

Oh, and I average 107 miles per gallon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Reminds me of the old QA50.  Neat as a kid but not as an adult, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the old QA50.  Neat as a kid but not as an adult, sorry.
View Quote

If you care more about your image and impressing others, than having fun? Maybe.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm a cheapskate and went with the YSS on the rear of my Grom.  I didn't think it'd make a difference, but it's noticeable.  

Other than that, eliminated the rear fender and installed lower profile front and rear signals.  Also designed a module to allow the signals to act as side markers so they're mid-rate on with full rate signal.  Changed the mirrors too.

5'11 and 185 pounds.  I drive it to work now and again in the winter and summer on rural route roads, two stretches in the 15 miles that are 55mph about 3 miles each.  I can top out about 58.

Riding it to work in the winter is fun, 13 degrees is the lowest I've ridden it to work.  I really need better tires for that kind of riding, even though I don't ride in the snow with it.  Frost on the roads makes me a little nervous.

View Quote

What gloves are you wearing for winter rides at those temps?

I need a better set of gloves for winter. Weather and temps dont bother me either, but when i get home my fingers are always super numb.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I need a better set of gloves for winter. Weather and temps dont bother me either, but when i get home my fingers are always super numb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot to add, I have a set of heated grips installed also.

For gloves, I've only tried two different pairs.  Keep in mind, guys that are into winter sports may have better suggestions.  I tried my best to get a pair with protection, but both pairs leave a lot to be desired.

I also looked into heated gloves, they start around $125 so I strayed from getting a pair.

Sorry about the Amazon link.

This first pair isn't too bad, but I start feeling it on the tips of my fingers at about 20 -25 degrees 30 minutes of the way through the 40 minute trip with the heat on.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

The second pair is about the same in warmth.  I'm sure the low price and poor quality of the gloves I bought have a lot to do with it too, but it's honestly not that bad.

I really need to get some bar end wind guards.  The chill I'm getting is from the wind.  The thicker the glove probably the better, but there goes your dexterity.  I'd thought about winter sport mittens but not sure how I'd like that on a motorcycle.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I forgot to add, I have a set of heated grips installed also.

For gloves, I've only tried two different pairs.  Keep in mind, guys that are into winter sports may have better suggestions.  I tried my best to get a pair with protection, but both pairs leave a lot to be desired.

I also looked into heated gloves, they start around $125 so I strayed from getting a pair.

Sorry about the Amazon link.

This first pair isn't too bad, but I start feeling it on the tips of my fingers at about 20 -25 degrees 30 minutes of the way through the 40 minute trip with the heat on.
www.amazon.com/dp/B002BQJC0K
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81l0r5HjWIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The second pair is about the same in warmth.  I'm sure the low price and poor quality of the gloves I bought have a lot to do with it too, but it's honestly not that bad.

I really need to get some bar end wind guards.  The chill I'm getting is from the wind.  The thicker the glove probably the better, but there goes your dexterity.  I'd thought about winter sport mittens but not sure how I'd like that on a motorcycle.  
View Quote

Yea, the wind chill is what gets me too. Im used to cold weather having lived in N. Idaho the last 15 years, but my bilt gloves leave a lot to be desired in cold high winds.

Maybe i should look at gloves marketed towards the snow mobile guys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had a Grom and while it was great fun, it's kind of a shitty bike. It has an oil spinner and oil screen instead of a real pickup pump, to clean the oil screen you have to crack the cases openSome of the components are on the cheaper side of "economy" and under the plastics some parts had a cheep vibe.

I have been following the Monkey bikes for a while and I have heard several reports that they are not holding up well even compared to the cheapish Grom. Lots of rust issues with some of the cheaper parts which is unfortunate because I wanted one.

Guys also look at the new Trail cub 125, same motor but you even get a kick starter and spoked rims.
View Quote
The 2021 Grom models have a new engine and 5spd and have an oil filter. No need to crack the case every 3-5k MI anymore. Not that it is a big deal if you like tinkering on bikes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 2021 Grom models have a new engine and 5spd and have an oil filter. No need to crack the case every 3-5k MI anymore. Not that it is a big deal if you like tinkering on bikes.
View Quote

2015 here.  Bought it NOS in ‘16, I like the looks of ‘15 and earlier.

Yep, I love tinkering so I don’t mind popping the cover.  I have a spare seal, but I’ve popped it three times now and haven’t had to replace the original.

Valve adjustment can be a pain on the intake because of the confines since I only remove the valve cover, but I have my technique down pretty good now.

I run a hotter plug in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#43]
An alternative: only weighs 2 loaded ARs more than a Grom,goes absolutely anywhere,can outrun a Prius up to 125 kph and your grandma could look like a wheelie god on it
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Son just called from the Mecum Auction down in FL going on right now.  He said that fully restored 100% correct Honda CT-70’s are selling anywhere from $10K to $15K. . I sold my project CT-70 about 15 years ago for $200 because I could have bought one done for $3500.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
An alternative: only weighs 2 loaded ARs more than a Grom,goes absolutely anywhere,can outrun a Prius up to 125 kph and your grandma could look like a wheelie god on it
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F7061B11-3E75-4C38-B8AF-318CE0EBC74B_jpe-1781703.JPG

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
3.5 miles? Just get an electric scooter
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
3.5 miles? Just get an electric scooter
View Quote
i'm a big fucker.  i need some horsepower.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather have a golf cart.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a golf cart.
View Quote
i'd love to roll into work in the morning in a pimped out golf caht.

sounds like something kenny powers would do.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i'm a big fucker.  i need some horsepower.
View Quote

That is my problem as well
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top