Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2022 10:05:37 AM EDT
Between buying/updating/moving into a new house and grad school, I’ve fallen off the workout wagon this year. My problem is that I’ve always worked out in the afternoon after work, and afternoons seem to be totally booked up with other shit that I HAVE to do, before I even get home. Sure every now and then I have some time to work out, but I can’t build a routine at all.

I want to start working out in the morning, before work. This means I need to be lifting by like 0530 so I can be in the office by 7 or so. My problem is that I wake up hungry and want coffee in a bad way. I’m typically eating breakfast and drinking coffee 15 minutes after my alarm goes off. I’ve always ended up lightheaded and nauseated if I work out on an empty stomach.

Those of you that work out early morning, how do you work breakfast into it? Coffee?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Whey with dextrose and caffeine pill
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Just drink a protein shake if you gotta have something on your stomach. Don’t over think it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Practice making breakfast until you become efficient at it.  

I lay out the stuff I need the night before.  I eat 4-6 whole eggs scrambled and a bowel of oatmeal every morning.  I also use a pre workout and never drink coffee that probably saves some time.  I also drink eaa’s during my workout.  Post workout on work days is often just a protein shake before I walk out the door and a peanut butter sandwich when I get to work.  On days I don’t have to work I will have a second breakfast of 4-6 eggs and usually some bacon with a glass of milk although my post workout meal does vary more while my breakfast is consistent every day.

At work I eat less and supplement with protein shakes.  I usually have a big supper in the evening.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I do conditioning, mobility, and corrective exercises every weekday morning at 430am on an empty stomach and am just fine.

If I happen to lift in the AM I'll eat a protein bar before hand. I buy the cheap ones that are basically a granola bar with a nickles worth of whey thrown in. Works well for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I try to get some simple, quick digesting carbs and a lite bit of protein to give me some energy and tide me over until my post workout breakfast. For me it is a rice crispy treat with some peanut butter smeared on it and plenty of water.
I have also eaten Smarties in between exercises for a little boost. I tried a BCAA drink before my workout, but I didn’t notice much difference.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
You should never eat and always working because anything else will instantly make you a fat body communist cuck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have a shake with 1/2 frozen banana and whey protein. Depending on if I feel like it I'll add some cocoa powder.

Make your coffee and drink it like regular during rests, if not let it cool down a bit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Protein shake loaded with carbs from Gerber baby rice cereal.  Very fast digesting.  Some mornings I add nut butter to it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I would have to do something light, like a cookie or half a bagel. Then eat a normal breakfast afterwards.

I suck at morning workouts though, so I avoid them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Between buying/updating/moving into a new house and grad school, I’ve fallen off the workout wagon this year. My problem is that I’ve always worked out in the afternoon after work, and afternoons seem to be totally booked up with other shit that I HAVE to do, before I even get home. Sure every now and then I have some time to work out, but I can’t build a routine at all.

I want to start working out in the morning, before work. This means I need to be lifting by like 0530 so I can be in the office by 7 or so. My problem is that I wake up hungry and want coffee in a bad way. I’m typically eating breakfast and drinking coffee 15 minutes after my alarm goes off. I’ve always ended up lightheaded and nauseated if I work out on an empty stomach.

Those of you that work out early morning, how do you work breakfast into it? Coffee?
View Quote

I apologize if I missed it, but nobody is bringing up a couple questions.  Your confessions make me want to ask; 1) what are you eating at night before bed?  That has bearing on AM sugar levels, AM cravings, and overall feel.  Snacks and booze are bad.  Ever been tested or the betus or sugar issues?  2) Can you bring yourself to quit coffee?  Caffeine addiction is a thing. Only solutions for that are to give in, quit, or the aforementioned pill.  

Identify if your AM cravings are habit or biological first.  Doing that was the key my personal success.  Mine turned out to be 90% ritual habit.  I work through the caffeine headache until after.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Workout on empty
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s counterproductive to work out on a full stomach.

Just bite the bullet and workout “hungry”.

Conversely, the meal(s) you eat (immediately) after working out set the stage for your recovery and then growth.

Short version:

1.  Workout hungry.
2.  Replenish glycogen.
3.  “Fast” protein (whey).
4.  “Slow” protein (casein, meat, milk, eggs, etc.).

Anything else is suboptimal.
View Quote

This is truth.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is truth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Conversely, the meal(s) you eat (immediately) after working out set the stage for your recovery and then growth.

Short version:

1.  Workout hungry.
2.  Replenish glycogen.

This is truth.

I had a coach that was a competitive bodybuilder (not quite pro) and now one who is an ifbb pro.  They both recommend eating a meal before lifting loaded with carbs and protein.  The current ifbb pro guy recommends eating 1 hour before lifting.  I eat about half an hour before due to time constraints.  I definitely can lift more and for longer if I have eaten.  No reason to Hamstring myself and set myself up for catabolism with my goal of building muscle.

They of course recommend eating a meal after as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had a coach that was a competitive bodybuilder (not quite pro) and now one who is an ifbb pro.  They both recommend eating a meal before lifting loaded with carbs and protein.  The current ifbb pro guy recommends eating 1 hour before lifting.  I eat about half an hour before due to time constraints.  I definitely can lift more and for longer if I have eaten.  No reason to Hamstring myself and set myself up for catabolism with my goal of building muscle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short version:

1.  Workout hungry.
2.  Replenish glycogen.

This is truth.

It's not just for lifting.

I often go to work without eating just so I can stay light in the morning...but performance is often affected.

By 9-10am....I'm fucking hungry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]
This was my Saturday morning meal at 3 am before my leg workout.  I started squats about 45 min later and worked up to a heavy single at over 2.5 times body weight.  Then on to leg extensions, hamstring curls, and calf raises.  I had another meal almost immediately after my workout.  Took a shower the took a nap.  Then got up and ate again lol.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Lefty,
What is that a giant pancake
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lefty,
What is that a giant pancake
View Quote

Yep lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I wake up at 530 and drink a pre-workout on my drive in your work where we have a gym.  It's about a 35-40 minute drive.  I eat breakfast after workout.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#22]
This week has kicked my ass so sorry for the long delay in responses.

I think I forgot some context in the OP - my schedule is part of the issue, and it's really not something I can change much. Family dictates that I don't get in bed before 10pm but I gotta be at work by 7am...ish, and I want to have something approaching a normal amount of sleep (lol). Getting up at 3 to make breakfast just ain't gonna happen in my world. My issue is that when I hit that wall where I run out of glucose, it means I have the pleasure of spending half an hour with some pretty bad nausea and I don't have time for that before work. Really ever, but especially when I'm already late because I overslept.

I like the rice crispy w/ PB idea. That seems like it'd be light enough that I could horse one down straight out of bed and go start warming up without wanting to hurl.

This should do it, right?

Quoted:
You should never eat and always working because anything else will instantly make you a fat body communist cuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shit.

Quoted:

Short version:

1.  Workout hungry.
2.  Replenish glycogen.

Yeah I don't want to eat a dozen eggs as fast as I can and then run downstairs and immediately try for PRs, but with the needle on E it's going to be a very unpleasant experience. I just want a little boost to get me through the workout. The rest though, I'm 100% with you.

Quoted:

I apologize if I missed it, but nobody is bringing up a couple questions.  Your confessions make me want to ask; 1) what are you eating at night before bed?  That has bearing on AM sugar levels, AM cravings, and overall feel.  Snacks and booze are bad.  Ever been tested or the betus or sugar issues?  2) Can you bring yourself to quit coffee?  Caffeine addiction is a thing. Only solutions for that are to give in, quit, or the aforementioned pill.  

Identify if your AM cravings are habit or biological first.  Doing that was the key my personal success.  Mine turned out to be 90% ritual habit.  I work through the caffeine headache until after.

1) Usually nothing after dinner, which is typically around 7 and I'm in bed 10:30-11. Doubt it's the beetus, but then again I haven't been tested ever. I don't eat a TON of sugar, especially processed sugars, just more carbs than I probably should. I think my morning cravings are a combo of habit and biological. I don't need (or really want) a huge breakfast straight out of bed, but definitely need a little gas in the tank before I go hit the gym.

2) Hard no. I like it too much. But I am consistently drinking a lot more decaf since I started this thread so my net caffeine intake is much lower, and relatively low in general. Vary rarely do I drink soft drinks, and hardly ever (like twice a year) do I drink an energy drink.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think I forgot some context in the OP - my schedule is part of the issue, and it's really not something I can change much. Family dictates that I don't get in bed before 10pm but I gotta be at work by 7am...ish, and I want to have something approaching a normal amount of sleep (lol). Getting up at 3 to make breakfast just ain't gonna happen in my world. My issue is that when I hit that wall where I run out of glucose, it means I have the pleasure of spending half an hour with some pretty bad nausea and I don't have time for that before work. Really ever, but especially when I'm already late because I overslept.

I like the rice crispy w/ PB idea. That seems like it'd be light enough that I could horse one down straight out of bed and go start warming up without wanting to hurl.

https://res.cloudinary.com/nassau-candy/image/upload/c_fit,w_300,h_300,f_auto/29684.jpg

Shit.

Yeah I don't want to eat a dozen eggs as fast as I can and then run downstairs and immediately try for PRs, but with the needle on E it's going to be a very unpleasant experience. I just want a little boost to get me through the workout. The rest though, I'm 100% with you.

1) Usually nothing after dinner, which is typically around 7 and I'm in bed 10:30-11. Doubt it's the beetus, but then again I haven't been tested ever. I don't eat a TON of sugar, especially processed sugars, just more carbs than I probably should. I think my morning cravings are a combo of habit and biological. I don't need (or really want) a huge breakfast straight out of bed, but definitely need a little gas in the tank before I go hit the gym.

2) Hard no. I like it too much. But I am consistently drinking a lot more decaf since I started this thread so my net caffeine intake is much lower, and relatively low in general. Vary rarely do I drink soft drinks, and hardly ever (like twice a year) do I drink an energy drink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://res.cloudinary.com/nassau-candy/image/upload/c_fit,w_300,h_300,f_auto/29684.jpg

Quoted:

Shit.

Quoted:
It's counterproductive to work out on a full stomach.

Just bite the bullet and workout "hungry".

Short version:

1.  Workout hungry.
2.  Replenish glycogen.
3.  "Fast" protein (whey).
4.  "Slow" protein (casein, meat, milk, eggs, etc.).

Quoted:

I hope the rice crispy thing is a joke lol.

In your shoes IMO I would only consider 2 things- a quick shake first, or just get used to working out fasted. Yes, bodybuilders and powerlifters will have a large meal before. If you are either of those things, let me know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]
It 95% is. A tiny fraction of that with a little PB on it is not.

I am a relatively/formerly scrawny guy doing 5/3/1.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

So not a bodybuilder or (competitive) powerlifter....I'm not either. When I essentially gave up competitive lifting I had to adjust my diet.

I used to oly lift with a well known coach. Inevitably he would make a correction and the lifter would say "but Dimitri Klokov does it that way" and coach would say "when you can snatch 200kg like Klokov, then you can do what Klokov does"

My point is that while you certainly should eat to fuel your workouts, eating as much as the pros or big lifters is not going to be ideal for you. You're unlikely to really be lifting hard enough for that to make sense right now.

Just my opinion, my previous advice stands- I'd either get used to fasting or simply have a shake. Filling up on trash is not going to help you, and neither is having giant meals before and after (sounds like that's not an option anyway).
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So not a bodybuilder or (competitive) powerlifter....I'm not either. When I essentially gave up competitive lifting I had to adjust my diet.

I used to oly lift with a well known coach. Inevitably he would make a correction and the lifter would say "but Dimitri Klokov does it that way" and coach would say "when you can snatch 200kg like Klokov, then you can do what Klokov does"

My point is that while you certainly should eat to fuel your workouts, eating as much as the pros or big lifters is not going to be ideal for you. You're unlikely to really be lifting hard enough for that to make sense right now.

Just my opinion, my previous advice stands- I'd either get used to fasting or simply have a shake. Filling up on trash is not going to help you, and neither is having giant meals before and after (sounds like that's not an option anyway).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone's needs are different for sure.  Doing what is convenient isn't the way to go either.  It's not convenient to get up early to make a big breakfast, but in my case it's needed.  We all need different calorie and macro intakes.  I've made many posts showing what I eat and people say there is no way that I can be lean eating all that yet here I am rocking the defined abs.  

Point being outside of getting new ideas for food choices following what someone else is doing is foolish.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah makes sense. A spoonful of peanut butter mostly worked this morning, started to feel a little gassed towards the end but I think part of that is just conditioning. PB before with a whey protein shake after seemed to get me through ok.

And lefty yeah no judgement for what you’re doing - it’s impressive, just not workable for me and what I’m trying to achieve.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I commend the early morning workout guys.

I fucking hate it.

It just doesn't feel right getting out of bed and then being under the bar like 30 minutes later. Even at work I need to ease my way into the intense shit for the day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Doing it sucks, but you feel good afterwards
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Doing it sucks, but you feel good afterwards
View Quote

That's for damn sure.  I just started weightlifting in the morning last month.

I definitely have to eat first so I don't run out of gas.  I'm a beginner, so a bagel or english muffin with pb&j and some berries has been good enough for now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve experienced great results adding fast digesting sugary carbs with large amounts of quality protein near my workout.  Better pumps and faster recovery. Here is another one of my favorite breakfast ideas.  If you don’t want the sugar just skip the grape/cranberry juice.  My wife ate one piece I ate the rest lol.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]
You bastards.

I lifted at 630 this morning....because what the fuck else am I gonna do when I get up at 430 in February. Had coffee and a cookie beforehand.

Workout went well....felt like I was gonna pass out afterwards though, that wasn't fun. Heart rate remained elevated longer than usual too.

Still kind of jittery from it, but I'm certainly not accustomed to it.

I'll try it out for about a week and see how I acclimate. I shuffled my volume around a little this morning to prevent grinding too hard, hit a top set then backed way off and did some pump work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#33]
If I need it, I grab a small handful of nuts (usually cashews) and always my pre workout which is just caffeine, creatine, l-citrulline, and juice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In your shoes IMO I would only consider 2 things- a quick shake first, or just get used to working out fasted. Yes, bodybuilders and powerlifters will have a large meal before. If you are either of those things, let me know.
View Quote

lol hey man, the Rice Krispy Treats work for me! I'm no pro or anything though, so take it with a grain of salt I guess. It is something quick to prepare and eat, and is light on my stomach. I'm up at 5:00 and starting my warmups by 5:10. Waking up earlier to cook, eat, and digest a big breakfast isn't an option for me, since I am in the same boat as the OP. Lifting fasted makes me feel sick and doesn't help me perform well at all. I don't really dig shakes before my workouts.
I just try to maximize my sleep and minimize the amount of time it takes to finish my workout so I can get the kids ready for school.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

lol hey man, the Rice Krispy Treats work for me! I'm no pro or anything though, so take it with a grain of salt I guess. It is something quick to prepare and eat, and is light on my stomach. I'm up at 5:00 and starting my warmups by 5:10. Waking up earlier to cook, eat, and digest a big breakfast isn't an option for me, since I am in the same boat as the OP. Lifting fasted makes me feel sick and doesn't help me perform well at all. I don't really dig shakes before my workouts.
I just try to maximize my sleep and minimize the amount of time it takes to finish my workout so I can get the kids ready for school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that even if they "work" (define "work"?) there are options that are healthier and better in absolutely every single way than the below. IMO these things should probably be for a rare treat, not a preworkout. Far be it for me to tell you what to do, I'm just suggesting that an apple, banana, shake, PB, or something like that is a better option than corn syrup and soybean oil.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Rice Crispy treats are so fucking good.

I was giving my wife shit this Christmas because her parents usually give us bags full of junk food and stuff.

I got a 20 pack of name brand Rice Crispy treats in mine....my wife got a 10 pack of the generic brand that tastes like shit....I thought it was hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Rice Crispy treats are so fucking good.

I was giving my wife shit this Christmas because her parents usually give us bags full of junk food and stuff.

I got a 20 pack of name brand Rice Crispy treats in mine....my wife got a 10 pack of the generic brand that tastes like shit....I thought it was hilarious.
View Quote

100% they are delicious. So it cheesecake...probably not the best pre-workout or daily snack though, as much as I wish it was
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#38]
There are professional body builders and power lifters that eat rice crispy treats before or after a workout.  Sometimes they blend them in a shake sometimes they just eat them.  They are stronger and have better physiques than any of us.

There is something to be said for well-timed carbs.  

People see all the carbs and "bad" food I eat for breakfast, but here I am ripped as fuck at 48 years old.  What they don't see is that I've tried nearly everything over my entire life of working out.  I found that high amounts of carbs/sugar near my workout are extremely beneficial as long as they are accompanied with large amounts of high-quality protein like eggs.  Better pumps and faster recovery and I never feel any kind of crash afterwards.  Probably because I'm putting the carbs/sugar to immediate use.  What people don't see is that the rest of the day after my large breakfast is that I'm also active all day while only eating quality protein with little to no carbs and small amount of fats.  I work 10–12-hour days with only two 10-minute breaks and a half hour lunch.  I don't take a bunch of supplements, but I do drink one protein shake a day during one of my 10-minute breaks.  My other ten-minute break I have chicken breast heated in the microwave plain with no sauce or anything.  My half hour lunch I do have a small amount of oatmeal made in the microwave along with some plain meat like hamburger, chicken, turkey, or ham.  I only drink water while I'm at work also.  

I also drink fruit juice from time to time...OMG sugar...LOL.  It also has other positives though and a quick way to get some vitamins without supplements and a little grape/cranberry juice or orange juice from time to time isn't going to kill you especially when consumed near your workout.

My fasted blood sugar levels are excellent.  My cholesterol levels are phenomenal with a great ratio of hdl to ldl.  Blood pressure is good and heart rate is around 60 which isn't great, but I don't do large amounts of cardio or try to get it lower either.

Not your average 48 year old.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
My new coach who is a pro himself has me eat a huge bowl of cereal after every workout.  The only guidelines are 1.5g of fat or less per serving as listed on the box.  I have 80g of carbs from it on regular days and 110g of carbs on leg days.  Captain crunch is my go to.  I eat it with unsweetened almond milk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are professional body builders and power lifters that eat rice crispy treats before or after a workout.  Sometimes they blend them in a shake sometimes they just eat them.  They are stronger and have better physiques than any of us.

There is something to be said for well-timed carbs.  

People see all the carbs and "bad" food I eat for breakfast, but here I am ripped as fuck at 48 years old.  What they don't see is that I've tried nearly everything over my entire life of working out.  I found that high amounts of carbs/sugar near my workout are extremely beneficial as long as they are accompanied with large amounts of high-quality protein like eggs.  Better pumps and faster recovery and I never feel any kind of crash afterwards.  Probably because I'm putting the carbs/sugar to immediate use.  What people don't see is that the rest of the day after my large breakfast is that I'm also active all day while only eating quality protein with little to no carbs and small amount of fats.  I work 10 12-hour days with only two 10-minute breaks and a half hour lunch.  I don't take a bunch of supplements, but I do drink one protein shake a day during one of my 10-minute breaks.  My other ten-minute break I have chicken breast heated in the microwave plain with no sauce or anything.  My half hour lunch I do have a small amount of oatmeal made in the microwave along with some plain meat like hamburger, chicken, turkey, or ham.  I only drink water while I'm at work also.  

I also drink fruit juice from time to time...OMG sugar...LOL.  It also has other positives though and a quick way to get some vitamins without supplements and a little grape/cranberry juice or orange juice from time to time isn't going to kill you especially when consumed near your workout.

My fasted blood sugar levels are excellent.  My cholesterol levels are phenomenal with a great ratio of hdl to ldl.  Blood pressure is good and heart rate is around 60 which isn't great, but I don't do large amounts of cardio or try to get it lower either.

Not your average 48 year old.
View Quote

Yeah dude, exactly my point- they're stronger and have better physiques than any of us. I'm not bad mouthing carbs, they have their place based on goals. You are mis-stating my argument because that's what you want to argue. Nowhere anywhere did I say OP should give up carbs.

My other point is that if you need carbs, you are not going to put together a convincing argument that sugar + soybean oil + corn syrup is in any way better than an apple or banana.
If you have an argument that a rice krispie treat is superior, I'd love to hear it.

ETA- low carb has it's place too, especially for those that are more sedentary. Further, like all macros- source matters if you care about overall health.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah dude, exactly my point- they're stronger and have better physiques than any of us. I'm not bad mouthing carbs, they have their place based on goals. You are mis-stating my argument because that's what you want to argue. Nowhere anywhere did I say OP should give up carbs.

My other point is that if you need carbs, you are not going to put together a convincing argument that sugar + soybean oil + corn syrup is in any way better than an apple or banana.
If you have an argument that a rice krispie treat is superior, I'd love to hear it.

ETA- low carb has it's place too, especially for those that are more sedentary. Further, like all macros- source matters if you care about overall health.
View Quote

Actually it seems that you are the one that wants to argue.  

I’m only stating what has worked for others and what I have done that worked best for me.  I specifically mentioned in an earlier post that we all have different needs and that copying what others have done might not be best for you.  At the same time you can’t disregard what has worked for people more successful than us either.  

This is me 6 months ago at 165 lbs maybe 10 percent body fat.  Currently I’m 170 and maybe 7 percent body fat, but haven’t taken a recent photo.  I will get some new photos soon.  I’m 48 years old no TRT or ped’s and very few supplements.  You can criticize me all you want my results at my age speak for themself.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm only stating what has worked for others and what I have done that worked best for me.  I specifically mentioned in an earlier post that we all have different needs and that copying what others have done might not be best for you.  At the same time you can't disregard what has worked for people more successful than us either.  

This is me 6 months ago at 165 lbs maybe 10 percent body fat.  Currently I'm 170 and maybe 7 percent body fat, but haven't taken a recent photo.  I will get some new photos soon.  I'm 48 years old no TRT or ped's and very few supplements.  You can criticize me all you want my results at my age speak for themself.

https://i.postimg.cc/13gnzxQk/EA62-AD76-FCE8-4-EFD-89-BF-7985-D34375-F5.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm only stating what has worked for others and what I have done that worked best for me.  I specifically mentioned in an earlier post that we all have different needs and that copying what others have done might not be best for you.  At the same time you can't disregard what has worked for people more successful than us either.  

This is me 6 months ago at 165 lbs maybe 10 percent body fat.  Currently I'm 170 and maybe 7 percent body fat, but haven't taken a recent photo.  I will get some new photos soon.  I'm 48 years old no TRT or ped's and very few supplements.  You can criticize me all you want my results at my age speak for themself.

Christ dude, I'm not criticizing you. Im pointing out that there's healthier and better options that rice krispie treats. Do whatever the hell you want, but I'll note you are not actually proving what I said wrong.

No need to post (another) shirtless pic dude.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#43]
I get up in the AM, drink 16 oz water... and workout.   I like a nice protein rich breakfast after... eggs with meat and unsweet tea to drink.   I've made it a habit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Christ dude, I'm not criticizing you. Im pointing out that there's healthier and better options that rice krispie treats. Do whatever the hell you want, but I'll note you are not actually proving what I said wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one eats a perfect diet and after trying different things working out practically my entire life (started wrestling when I was 5) I've found that sometimes you can enjoy life and actually be more successful.  In other words that pancake with syrup on it once in a while or a rice krispy treat once in a while might actually lead to more success.  Trying to eat perfectly every day year after year will actually lead people to fail more often than not because they can't sustain that.  I like to post the shittier things I eat once in a while as a joke as overall my diet isn't that bad.  I've experienced great results eating those shitty carbs as long as they are near my workout and accompanied by large amounts of high quality amino rich protein sources like eggs.  

All of my health markers are amazing especially for my age as well.  You also see in this thread another guy getting advice from a professional that suggested things like captain crunch after a workout.  There is science to support this type of sugary carb near a workout.  I post my pictures for people that continually try to tell me what I'm doing doesn't work.  Then add in my lifts of being able to bench about 315, dead near 500, and squat near 400 at my age and size I'd say I've done something right.  I don't give a fuck about the snatch because it's more about technique and not a great measure of strength.  The strongest man in the world who has never done a snatch will get out snatched by the 150 lbs guy that has perfect technique and practices the snatch regularly.  It's not a great measure of strength.  

So my point was never to prove you wrong of course green beans are better than pancakes with syrup.  My point is to show that having those things once in a while when timed right will not make you unhealthy or unsuccessful.  Sometimes having something you like to eat if timed right is better than not eating at all at critical times or getting completely off the routine because you are miserable eating things you don't like every day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#45]
The people that tell me my diet is unhealthy and my workout advice is wrong never post their physique pictures either.

ETA:  People also tell me all the whole eggs I eat are bad for you because omg cholesterol and estrogen.  The cholesterol is actually a positive as I have phenomenal hdl to ldl ratio and no test problems even at 48 years old.  Also omg sugar you're going to have beetus.  Guess what 48 years old with low fasted blood sugar levels.  Having well timed carbs/sugar isn't a bad thing when you do intense weight training 5-6 days a week for years on end.  I see people preaching about diet and they are also younger than me on TRT with other health markers that aren't great so obviously something you're doing isn't all that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No one eats a perfect diet and after trying different things working out practically my entire life (started wrestling when I was 5) I've found that sometimes you can enjoy life and actually be more successful.  In other words that pancake with syrup on it once in a while or a rice krispy treat once in a while might actually lead to more success.  Trying to eat perfectly every day year after year will actually lead people to fail more often than not because they can't sustain that.  I like to post the shittier things I eat once in a while as a joke as overall my diet isn't that bad.  I've experienced great results eating those shitty carbs as long as they are near my workout and accompanied by large amounts of high quality amino rich protein sources like eggs.  

All of my health markers are amazing especially for my age as well.  You also see in this thread another guy getting advice from a professional that suggested things like captain crunch after a workout.  There is science to support this type of sugary carb near a workout.  I post my pictures for people that continually try to tell me what I'm doing doesn't work.  Then add in my lifts of being able to bench about 315, dead near 500, and squat near 400 at my age and size I'd say I've done something right.  I don't give a fuck about the snatch because it's more about technique and not a great measure of strength.  The strongest man in the world who has never done a snatch will get out snatched by the 150 lbs guy that has perfect technique and practices the snatch regularly.  It's not a great measure of strength.  

So my point was never to prove you wrong of course green beans are better than pancakes with syrup.  My point is to show that having those things once in a while when timed right will not make you unhealthy or unsuccessful.  Sometimes having something you like to eat if timed right is better than not eating at all at critical times or getting completely off the routine because you are miserable eating things you don't like every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read what I said, I mentioned that those things are totally fine for an occasional snack. You saw that right?

My point, which you are finally agreeing with, is that there are better and more healthy options. Everyone can choose to do whatever they want, lord knows my diet isn't perfect especially lately- but if someone is asking for advice, it seems silly advise they eat soybean oil and corn syrup for pre-workouts instead of a banana.

Your markers may be great, I'm happy for you. Most people's aren't going to be if they eat trash like that all the time- hence my original advice to relegate those things to the "occasional" category.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The people that tell me my diet is unhealthy and my workout advice is wrong never post their physique pictures either.

ETA:  People also tell me all the whole eggs I eat are bad for you because omg cholesterol and estrogen.  The cholesterol is actually a positive as I have phenomenal hdl to ldl ratio and no test problems even at 48 years old.  Also omg sugar you're going to have beetus.  Guess what 48 years old with low fasted blood sugar levels.  Having well timed carbs/sugar isn't a bad thing when you do intense weight training 5-6 days a week for years on end.  I see people preaching about diet and they are also younger than me on TRT with other health markers that aren't great so obviously something you're doing isn't all that.
View Quote

I've posted mine before, along with a 440# high bar squat at 188# bodyweight.

Yes, excessive sugar WILL cause diabetes. Just because it hasn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't ever. You've also hit on another important factor, YOU can get away with more because you're doing 5-6 days of intense weight training. You understand most people don't do that right?
I ran a live fire 240 range without ear pro once, my ears didn't get damaged from that. Doesn't mean it was good for me or that I would recommend others do the same.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, excessive sugar WILL cause diabetes. Just because it hasn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't ever. You've also hit on another important factor, YOU can get away with more because you're doing 5-6 days of intense weight training. You understand most people don't do that right?
I ran a live fire 240 range without ear pro once, my ears didn't get damaged from that. Doesn't mean it was good for me or that I would recommend others do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to where you posted your physique?  Let's see current physique and age?  We all looked good in our pre 40's.  I'm nearly 50 and still ripped putting up those numbers at under 170 lbs body weight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Link to where you posted your physique?  Let's see current physique and age?  We all looked good in our pre 40's.  I'm nearly 50 and still ripped putting up those numbers at under 170 lbs body weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've posted it in this forum, you can find it yourself. I've already told you my diet isn't as good as it once was, and I'm also not putting in 5-6 days a week of intense weightlifting like I once was- and you still are. I also don't take shirtless selfies once a week like you, and I'm not going to start.

What's your deal here? Do you deny that excessive sugar is unhealthy and can lead to diabetes? Do you deny that things like rice krispie treats should be an occasional thing, not an every day thing? (you just said as much)

Are you just trying to prove you have lower bf than me? Cool man, you win there, you do have lower bf. That's not the argument.

ETA- in fact, the funny part is that I probably eat closer to what you are saying is ideal these days because I'm not as disciplined as I should be...guess what? My physique has paid for it a bit following your "advice".

Look dude, once again, my advice really isn't all that controversial:

1. The average person would be better served with a shake and/or an apple/banana pre workout than rice krispie treats because:
  a. RK treats are full of garbage that isn't good for you
  b. there are more healthy options

Nowhere did I say you should NEVER have them. Nowhere did I say that absolutely everyone is going to die if they do eat them every day. Nowhere did I challenge you to a male model walk off. Nowhere did I say that carbs were bad. I simply said the above, and for some reason you are giving me a raft of shit over it, while also not really addressing the actual points I made.

Perhaps you need to reread what I've said and consider that you may have possibly overreacted. Or maybe the soybean oil in all your RK treats has elevated your estrogen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#50]
It's not that I disagree with your diet advice as being ideal.  It's not that I think you are wrong.  

We are in a discussion for people that are trying to build muscle while having trouble eating in the morning near their morning workouts.  My argument is for these people to eat some sugary carbs along with some high quality protein source near that early morning workout is better than nothing for muscle gain.  

I take diet as an overall long term picture not a snap shot of an individual meal.  If they have a rice krispy treat and a protein shake in the morning that isn't as good as eggs and plain oatmeal, but for muscle gain it's better than nothing.  If they eat healthy choices the rest of their day and most of the time those sugary cereals or pancakes with syrup in the morning near an intense workout session can actually be beneficial for muscle growth.  If we grow bigger muscles and lift heavy it has positive effects on our metabolism and natural test levels so that rice krispy treat actually served a purpose and was put to use.

Big picture not a snapshot is my advice for workout and diet.  Yes green beans and bananas are good for you, but a glass of grape/cranberry juice near an intense workout isn't going to kill you and will actually be beneficial in delivering those high quality protein/amino's you ate with it to your muscles.  

In other words you aren't wrong about what is better for you, but don't dismiss the positives of having a quick digesting sugary/carb along with high quality protein near an intense workout session when trying to build muscle.  If you are going to eat those sugary/carbs you must put them to use is my main argument here.  When put to use and eating healthy most of the time they can be beneficial.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top