Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2018 9:19:48 PM EDT
VOO has done very well for me, but I like the set-it-and-forget-it advantage of a mutual fund.  I'd like to sell all of my VOO holdings and put it all in VFIAX on the same day. Subsequently, I will have a standard biweekly contribution that will go to VFIAX.

If I take a hit for the daily fluctuation, I wouldn't expect it to very high.

Any reasons I should not make this transition?  This is a Roth IRA.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have sufficient funds to get into the Admiral class funds, I don't really see a downside other than being out of the market for a few hours.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
What isn't "set it and forget it" about VOO? Isn't it essentially an S&P500 managed fund?

(I don't hold ETFs and don't know that much about them, but my impression is that they aren't any less "set it and forget it" than a mutual fund...??)
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This article is a little bit soft.

Typically etf’s are ideal for bridge accounts or non-retirement accounts (tax advantages) while mutual funds are housed in retirement accounts.

https://www.fool.com/investing/etf/2018/01/15/etf-vs-mutual-funds-the-pros-and-cons.aspx
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What isn't "set it and forget it" about VOO? Isn't it essentially an S&P500 managed fund?

(I don't hold ETFs and don't know that much about them, but my impression is that they aren't any less "set it and forget it" than a mutual fund...??)
View Quote
The main difference is the ability to buy and sell fractional shares in a mutual fund. With ETFs you can only buy whole shares, so you will always have a little cash hanging around. Similarly you can only sell whole shares.

Mutual funds cand be bought/sold fractionally, so you put $5500 in your IRA you can buy precisely $5500 of a mutual fund.

On the flip side ETFs can be easily transferred between brokerages, while mutual funds can't. Also, when we are talking about non-Vanguard ETFs/mutual funds the ETF will be more tax efficient than the equivalent mutual fund which is important when hold in a taxable account.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top