Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2021 10:50:15 AM EDT
Would the 6 book series of Dune be worth buying and reading? Or would just checking the first book out be a good starting point?

I’ve only watched bits and pieces of the old movie and watched it once through over a few days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
They are tough to read due to the many made up words.  I enjoyed the first couple, struggled through the next couple, and gave up.  The story went way out in the weeds, and lost me.

ETA: The old movie was awful.  They made stupid changes to the story.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The original Dune was difficult to get into, and years ago when I first attempted to read it, I struggled a bit and then put it aside.

Later on I picked it up again, read it through, and I’m thankful that I put in the effort as it turned out to be one of my favorite SF reads.

The follow-on books? Not so much.

I bought all of them, read all of them (mostly), and each one was a disappointment.

Of course, YMMV…

(OK, I’ll admit that my inner grammar Nazi cringed a bit when I wrote, “one of my favorite SF reads”, but I ended up posting it anyway - it may be technically acceptable but nevertheless I find that phrasing to be cringeworthy.)

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The original unabridged DUNE novel is all you need.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank y’all, I’ll see if my school’s library has the unabridged version. If they don’t, I’ll borrow from the library.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read SiFi since I was about 10 years old. I read pretty much anything, and enjoy almost all of it - some more than other, of course.

Over the years I have tried to read Dune three or four times, and given up each and every time, just a chapter or two into the first (and supposedly best) book.

There have been multiple attempts at making films of it. All have bombed.

Some people think it is a wonderful story. A lot more (me included) think otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I really enjoyed the first three in the series.  After that things got a bit muddled for me.  Loved the detailed world-building.  Recommend the first three.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The original unabridged DUNE novel is all you need.
View Quote

I've read them all. The only one I reread for pleasure is the first.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You only need the first book. The rest are garbage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have trouble falling asleep you only need to pick up a copy of Dune.  You don’t even need to crack the book open. Just pick it up and instant coma.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Sci Fi junkie - Andre Norton, Poul Anderson, David Drake, Ben Bova, John Scalszi etc etc been reading sci fi since I was a kid.

Short answer, no. I stopped after the first one but I was a teenager when I read it. Ponderous is how I remember it.

Much like Ringworld I just don't get the hype. It's not bad, it's just not something I'd slog through again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I read the first one and I loved it.  I have read all of them and none of them are garbage. They are all masterpieces.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have read them all, including the ones put out by his son.  The first book is the strongest story, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Each of Frank's books in succession got a little more tedious, but I still enjoyed them enough to finish reading them.  Maybe tedious is not the right word.  Convoluted, perhaps, as they got harder to follow.  Mostly, they didn't have the drive, the powerful story line, the original book had.

The ones after Frank Herbert died were a major step down in writing.  When Frank was writing, there was the occasional moment of genius that injected something really unexpected and interesting.  The ones his son did, not so much.  His son claimed the sequels were based on notes his father wrote, and I can see that.  But the execution was just not the same quality.  So I would say they were worth reading once to finish out the story, but were not really enjoyable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a Sci Fi junkie - Andre Norton, Poul Anderson, David Drake, Ben Bova, John Scalszi etc etc been reading sci fi since I was a kid.

Short answer, no. I stopped after the first one but I was a teenager when I read it. Ponderous is how I remember it.

Much like Ringworld I just don't get the hype. It's not bad, it's just not something I'd slog through again.
View Quote

The hype is because when the book came out in 1965, it was required reading in many high school classes.  It's one of the few sci-fi books that a lot of people had read at the time when the first movie came out.  That's what I remember hearing at the time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I loved reading Dune back in the day. It has complex characters and nuance. I say it's definitely worth a read.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've read many of the books, and the first one is the best.  I don't know why people hate on the 1984 Dune movie so much.  It's fairly close to the book, with a few things removed and a few things added that they lacked the technology/budget to do back then.  I don't care that the sound-based weapons aren't in the book.  I thought they were cool in the movie when I was a kid, and I still do.  I say read the book, watch Dune 1984, and the new movie, and keep an open mind.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've read many of the books, and the first one is the best.  I don't know why people hate on the 1984 Dune movie so much.  It's fairly close to the book, with a few things removed and a few things added that they lacked the technology/budget to do back then.  I don't care that the sound-based weapons aren't in the book.  I thought they were cool in the movie when I was a kid, and I still do.  I say read the book, watch Dune 1984, and the new movie, and keep an open mind.
View Quote

The sound-based weapons alone ruined the movie.  It was stupid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
As someone who has read them several times; rcav8r is correct.

Honestly, even the first novel, Dune, is SHIT when it comes to being good science fiction.  It's an overthought, narrative mess.

What Dune is FANTASTIC at is setting a mood.  The sheer mood of the books is what brings me back to them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to get groceries at Walmart today and found a copy of Dune with the current movie’s characters on the cover.

I’m guessing that I bought the abridged version?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The first book is one of the all time greats. I'd skip the sequels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went to get groceries at Walmart today and found a copy of Dune with the current movie’s characters on the cover.

View Quote

Is it at least 2" thick? Then maybe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s about right. 620 pages, plus a few appendixes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have read them all, including the ones put out by his son.  The first book is the strongest story, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Each of Frank's books in succession got a little more tedious, but I still enjoyed them enough to finish reading them.  Maybe tedious is not the right word.  Convoluted, perhaps, as they got harder to follow.  Mostly, they didn't have the drive, the powerful story line, the original book had.

The ones after Frank Herbert died were a major step down in writing.  When Frank was writing, there was the occasional moment of genius that injected something really unexpected and interesting.  The ones his son did, not so much.  His son claimed the sequels were based on notes his father wrote, and I can see that.  But the execution was just not the same quality.  So I would say they were worth reading once to finish out the story, but were not really enjoyable.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honestly, even the first novel, Dune, is SHIT when it comes to being good science fiction.  It's an overthought, narrative mess.

What Dune is FANTASTIC at is setting a mood.  The sheer mood of the books is what brings me back to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the risk of a little thread drift, when I saw that they produced Asimov's Foundation for Apple TV, since I don't get Apple TV it motivated me to grab the series out of my library. I had remembered reading and enjoying it as a kid. One chapter into it I was like "I read this shit and liked it???" It boggles the mind that it is considered a masterpiece. It's total junk compared to modern sci-fi. Well, good modern sci-fi, anyway

I forced myself to finish the Foundation trilogy, but it took weeks instead of days. Now out of sheer, morbid curiosity I'm thinking about re-reading some of the old paperbacks I have, including some of Asimov's robot series, and Dune, just to see if everything out of that era was equally bad. Maybe some John Carter of Mars.

None of the old stuff is anywhere close to today's greats, like Weber, or Drake, or Bujold, or (guilty pleasure) Ringo. The only old stuff that I know holds up continues to be Heinlein (most of it, not all), especially his Lazarus Long stuff and, going way back, E.E. Doc Smith. People who took the time to create universes in rich detail, and mythology, and characters you cared about, not just a bunch of pulpy short stories strung together.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I have read all 6 of them a couple or three times.

When I heard about the latest movie being made I read the first book again as a refresher and didn't quit till I had finished them all.

I really enjoyed all of them but the very last one was maybe a bit goofy.

Still haven't seen the movie. Need to do that soon.

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I just finished the book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Dune is world building with a narrative framework.  Dune Messiah is setting a story in that world.  If you are going to read them get the original trilogy, those two plus Children of Dune and finish them before you move on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
And I say that as someone who first read them (and Foundation series, the Robot books, Starship Trooper, et al) in junior high, have worn out or lent out multiple copies, and have the Dennis Lynch Dune, the SciFi Dune and Children of Dune, and Dennis Villenueve Dune in my blu-rays.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed the first three in the series.  After that things got a bit muddled for me.  Loved the detailed world-building.  Recommend the first three.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I would recommend reading Dune for sure.  

then follow the poster someone posted above.

If you want to finish the Paul Atreides story line, read the next two books.
If you liked the 3rd book and want to know more about his son read the Golden Path books

The quality of the books drops imo, but they are definitely decent sci-fi.  I have never read any of the books his son was involved in, so no recommendation there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Funny you post that, I’m about to read the 3rd book, Children of Dune.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#32]
First two books are good.  Next two are way out there.  Haven't got back to finish the series.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At the risk of a little thread drift, when I saw that they produced Asimov's Foundation for Apple TV, since I don't get Apple TV it motivated me to grab the series out of my library. I had remembered reading and enjoying it as a kid. One chapter into it I was like "I read this shit and liked it???" It boggles the mind that it is considered a masterpiece. It's total junk compared to modern sci-fi. Well, good modern sci-fi, anyway

I forced myself to finish the Foundation trilogy, but it took weeks instead of days. Now out of sheer, morbid curiosity I'm thinking about re-reading some of the old paperbacks I have, including some of Asimov's robot series, and Dune, just to see if everything out of that era was equally bad. Maybe some John Carter of Mars.

None of the old stuff is anywhere close to today's greats, like Weber, or Drake, or Bujold, or (guilty pleasure) Ringo. The only old stuff that I know holds up continues to be Heinlein (most of it, not all), especially his Lazarus Long stuff and, going way back, E.E. Doc Smith. People who took the time to create universes in rich detail, and mythology, and characters you cared about, not just a bunch of pulpy short stories strung together.
View Quote
@aa777888-2 :  You will brook no argument from me.  I agree with you.  I do like Asimov's short stories but for the most part, the "Holy Trifecta" bores the shit out of me.

Heinlein: pervert.  Probably a drug addled one.  Wrote shit that hippies dug for some reason.

Asimov:  good at text books and short stories.

Clark:  VERY good early on.  His short stories and early novels are really good.  Then...pervert....but he, at least, kept most of it out of his writing.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top