Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2020 11:53:38 PM EDT
Current dryer exhaust goes 10' UP the wall and about 20' to the roof vent.  This isn't working,.  I want to vent the dryer into my garage.  Will this work?  What do I need to look out for?  Or Am I a dumbass....
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll try to post a diagram.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Moisture will be an issue unless you are in high, dry desert.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas or electric?

If gas, well duh.

If electric, keep in mind dryer exhaust is incredibly moist. You can run into mold and condensation damage, especially if it gets cold outside.

ETA: 8 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That will dump moisture into your garage... I would not add humidity to an interior space.

There is a reason it is vented outside.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope your vehicles are made of plastic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Current dryer exhaust goes 10' UP the wall and about 20' to the roof vent.  This isn't working,.  I want to vent the dryer into my garage.  Will this work?  What do I need to look out for?  Or Am I a dumbass....
View Quote

You don't want to just get a hole saw and run a hole straight through a wall to the outside?

There is another option. I used to live in a place with a weird long dryer vent. I used a high end 6" inline duct fan to increase throughout on the vent. Holy moly it improved my drying by an unbelievable amount. It was hokey but I'm sure there must be a switch that can be installed that could automatically turn on the fan while the dryer runs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope your vehicles are made of plastic.
View Quote

This.

Seriously, don't even consider it.  Everything in your garage will start to rust.  First hand experience from the last rental I was in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will also get lots of extra lint to go along with the humidity. Nothing you store in the garage will be clean for long
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Had one in my last garage.
Never any problems
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Moisture will be an issue unless you are in high, dry desert.
View Quote

As will lint.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I’d buy a heat pump ventless dryer before I’d vent inside a structure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a reason it is vented outside.
View Quote

Multiple reasons.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#13]
The guy I do a lot of work for has his vented to his carpeted garage where he parks his Carlsson S series and his Bentley GTC and his Navigator. The only thing he has is a special lint bag on the exhaust so it doesn't get all over the black carpet. All of the cars are 5 years oldish except the navigator which is a lease. He has never had a problem with rust or excess moisture or anything even in Michigan weather.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I vent mine directly back into the house in the winter to recapture the heat and put moisture back into the air. I put one of the wifes old pantyhose over the end of the pipe and hardly get any lint in the house. Now the inside of that pantyhose on the other hand...
Plus, if you only dry a load or two a day it isn't that bad. If you need to do more just space them out through the day. Or in this case crack the garage door for a little while.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#15]
bought a house years ago that had the vent in garage.

The drywall was so wet it fell off the wall.

I had to redo the entire garage.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
NO!

If the current setup is not working you can add an in-line booster blower to the mix that can be triggered manually with a switch or is tied in to the dryer to come on automatically.

If you vent indoors you will be making a moist, linty mess in your garage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
DBF110 Dryer Booster Exhaust Fan
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My aunt's dryer vents into the garage..It has a lint trap on it. Her garage doesn't seem terribly humid, maybe it's not sealed up very well?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the advantage to venting it into the garage vs simply venting outside?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

DON'T DO IT!

If you do it, you qualify as a dumbass.  

Asking ahead of time, implies you might not be a dumbass.  The jury will evaluate what you end up doing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there no access to an exterior wall?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't.
You will regret it immediately.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's the advantage to venting it into the garage vs simply venting outside?
View Quote
I have to clean the pipe in the wall and attic out about twice a year because the lint trap on my old ass dryer sucks.  Also, in the winter the warm moist air condenses in the metal pipe going to the roof and drains back down into the box where the pipe in the wall enters the laundry room.

The laundry room is surrounded by the kitchen, living room and the garage.  No exterior wall access or I would have went that route years ago.

I use the dryer about 2 times a week.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

DON'T DO IT!

If you do it, you qualify as a dumbass.  

Asking ahead of time, implies you might not be a dumbass.  The jury will evaluate what you end up doing.
View Quote
I'm leaning towards saving my dumbass certification for another project.  I'll look into the fan recommendation and keep cleaning the vent pipe as needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a rental property that didn't have access for me to run a new vent.  I bought some contraption that vents right into the laundry room.  Its a box with a filter in it.  Tenant has been there 3 yrs and says it works fine.

This thing
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If you were to go from utility room to the garage, what is the nearest external wall? My dryer vent routes thru the garage on its route to an external wall, about 4’. It routes behind the hot water heater. Designed that way in 1975, I think due to the limited options on dryers and which way their doors opened ( left vs. right hinged).

Definitely would not vent into garage due to moisture. You also don’t want it to vent close to the A/C unit as lint will build up on the condenser coil and kill efficiency.

If you stick with continued venting thru the roof, does the roof vent have a piece of expanded metal on the outlet? Had a previous house where the outlet screen got clogged, causing the moisture to back up and ruined a dryer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My vent runs in my crawl space for literally exactly the length of a cleanout brush kit plus one extension kit (close to 20 ft IIRC). The garage is 2ft away.

I see a lot of half assed/cheapest way possible shit from the previous owner (mower blades that were literally just round bar stock, blank electrical cover plates used to cover holes in the wall, plastic containers inside the fridge to catch dripping water rather than simply cleaning out the drain line, etc.), but even he knew it was better to do a 20 ft run to the outside of his house instead of a 2' run inside. Either that or a contractor convinced him to pay more to do it.

Either way, if that dude had it done properly, you should too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#28]
We just moved into a new house.  Laundry/mud room sits just off the garage.  The previous owner/builder decided the best way to vent the dryer was to go 30ish feet through the basement, avoiding all utilities via no less than seven 90 degree elbows to the outside.  Guess I should be happy it eventually got to vented to an exterior wall.

So now I get to reroute through the garage to the outside.  Maybe 15 feet and two 90s.  I'll have to frame in small chase to protect it but it'll be far better than the current set up.  

Anyway, don't vent directly to your garage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#29]
My dad was an appliance repairman, so he always knew about these things. When he moved from California to Oregon he was absolutely amazed that they sell kits in Oregon to heat your home with the dryer vent
In california that'd be a huge NO NO!
So I guess vent dudes indoors is a thing, but it's a pretty sub par way of doing it.
Think about it, every time you dry a load there's probably a gallon of water in there. You're puting that into the air. Most of us on this forum are buying dehumidifiers. That'd be doing the opposite. Just kind of a dumb thing to do, even if legal in your area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have no other choice but vent to the garage, buy a new washer with a very high speed spin cycle (as in commercial style).  The clothes will dry in less than 45 minutes with very little moisture going to the garage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a rental property that didn't have access for me to run a new vent.  I bought some contraption that vents right into the laundry room.  Its a box with a filter in it.  Tenant has been there 3 yrs and says it works fine.

This thing
View Quote

If I had easy access to the back of my dryer, I would switch between venting outside in the summer and one of those in the winter.

Also when I connected my current dryer, I used a coupling with a little swing check valve in it.  Makes a huge difference in the summer, I could feel the outside humid nastiness every time I opened the dryer at my old place, and it made the laundry room warmer and more humid than the rest of the apt.  There's still a tiny bit of that at the new place, but WAY less.  I can be lazy and leave my clothes in there after they are done and not worry about them getting... moist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Can work OK in the winter - if you have a lint trap installed, and enough outside air exchange to avoid condensation.

Generally sucks during the summer months.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#33]
You may need to rework the dryer vent with long sweep elbows & a zero restriction roof cap.
My guess is you are significantly over the allowable developed length on the vent pipe.
Download the dryer owners manual and it will have a chart.
I had to revent an entire condo complex because of this.
You may also consider installing an inline lint filter ( we have to do this commercially on any vertical run )
Fantech lint trap
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Dang that one is nice. The one I used was also a fantech but I bought it at the weed growing store. It didn't have that sweet pressure sensor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Is there like, an intermediate fan you could install halfway up the current exhaust duct that would help move air out of the duct? I would avoid venting that air into my garage at all costs.

DISCLAIMER: not an HVAC guy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#36]
It will be a disaster but think how good it will smell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#37]
It'll keep your garage warmer during winter, and make it smell nicer.

However, as mentioned will add moisture, but if you already live in higher humidity areas, no worries I can think of.  

IE, you live in Mobile, Fairhope, Gulf Shores, etc.  Up by the Rocket or the Hyundai plant, maybe moisture issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Never run a dryer vent into your garage, ruins everything in it. Have a chimney sweep clean your dryer vent, best$100-200 you can spent. They plug up from use.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Just cleaned mine out this weekend. Its about a 12" or so run across and up the laundry room wall and vents out the backside of the house. My garage is the wall right next to the laundry room, but no way Id want to vent it there.

Only thing Im thinking of changing is the flex duct to solid 4 duct to be easier to clean, but not rerouting
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Will cause your tools and cars to rust.

Would need to run a dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything in your garage will be covered in lint.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Previous owner of my house disconnected the vent from the wall and had it going to a small filter box in the laundry room.  My guess is they were using as a supplemental form of heat in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
NO!

If the current setup is not working you can add an in-line booster blower to the mix that can be triggered manually with a switch or is tied in to the dryer to come on automatically.

View Quote

I wouldn’t do the booster motor. You’re asking for a fire.
You can vent inside. There are filters made for that very purpose. If you live in a dry climate, it makes a lot of sense.

ETA: make sure the booster adheres to UL705 if you decide to use one. They can be dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
PO of my present house had vented an electric dryer into a window well.
And then put a nylon cover over the window well.

The flex vent hose (around 15 feet) he used was FULL of water when I moved in.
I used about 10 feet of duct to go through the foundation.

Works very well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can vent inside. There are filters made for that very purpose. If you live in a dry climate, it makes a lot of sense.

ETA: make sure the booster adheres to UL705 if you decide to use one. They can be dangerous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO!

Boosters work well IF they are properly installed and the run is metal tubing [not the flex stuff]. It HAS to be designed so if the fan fails, power to the dryer is disrupted. It is FAR safer then a long run [you might be surprised at how short the manufacturer wants the run to be] with no booster. And every 90% adds 3 feet to the run length. I had one 90 feet long, 4 fires at the dryer outlet and I told the customer we will never touch their dryer again. I was only there for 2 of those fire repairs, the second I told them tough, we were not touching it and danger tagged it as unusable. People are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Maybe I missed something, but the problem with the way it is currently set up is moisture, perhaps if it's reasonable you can insulate the exhaust pipe enough to prevent condensation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Boosters work well IF they are properly installed and the run is metal tubing [not the flex stuff]. It HAS to be designed so if the fan fails, power to the dryer is disrupted. It is FAR safer then a long run [you might be surprised at how short the manufacturer wants the run to be] with no booster. And every 90% adds 3 feet to the run length. I had one 90 feet long, 4 fires at the dryer outlet and I told the customer we will never touch their dryer again. I was only there for 2 of those fire repairs, the second I told them tough, we were not touching it and danger tagged it as unusable. People are stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO!

The code allows only a few feet of flexible duct in a visible location.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
blank electrical cover plates used to cover holes in the wall
View Quote

I like that

I might install wall switches not wired to anything before I move to leave a little adventure for the next owners
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Mine goes out through the roof too and I just had it cleaned. I was contemplating changing the design and routing it out through the eaves. (I got the idea from a friend who changed his) I’ve read pros and cons. In some instances, people have experienced moisture in their attic from the air being sucked back into the house (per the natural design of the eaves).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top