Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2023 12:30:51 PM EDT
Good morning firearms aficionados!

I am a long time professional photographer. A Canon guy from way, way back. I was recently bitten by the drone bug and cannot wait to get more proficient in everything drone.

I purchased a DJI Mini 3 Pro, with the RC controller. This controller has a fantastic built in screen which allows you to see where you are going and watch live video feed. The camera/video resolution is absolutely incredible for something this small and light. Playing around with this makes me want bigger and better. Sound familiar? It's very closely related to G.A.S. - Gun Acquisition Syndrome - a serious illness with no known cure.

Just curious about what drones you are using, how you use them and any tips you might have for a beginner.

GBB

Quick picture over my house:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a mavic 3 classic a couple months back. It’s been fun messing around with it. Way more setting than I know how to manipulate yet. I made some okay short videos hunting last season. The auto tracking is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
honestly there isn't that far up to go from the mini 3 pro. its a HELL of a drone for the size and cost. enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured that the Mini 3 Pro was kind of the pinnacle in consumer mid-priced drones. Knowing me, I will probably end up buying something crazy expensive before long. LOL.

GBB
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mini 2 and Air 2 S.

I really love the A2S but the Mini 2 fits in my pocket. Of course, the controller doesn't, but it still makes it a great rig for run and gun. The downside is using the phone outdoors can suck bigly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up an Autel nano plus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I have a Mini 2 and Air 2 S.

I really love the A2S but the Mini 2 fits in my pocket. Of course, the controller doesn't, but it still makes it a great rig for run and gun. The downside is using the phone outdoors can suck bigly.
View Quote

I went from Mini 2 to Mini 3 pro to Air-2S and the Air-2S by far is the best of the 3. The Mini 2 feels like a toy compared to the 2S. It has almost twice the range and MUCH better video/foto quality.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 7:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: keiswa] [#7]
In 2016 I bought a Phantom 4 Pro.  I played around with it in my neighborhood for a while (not over anyone's house).  I took it to Colorado and got what I consider really good video in the mountains.  Since then, because it is such a PITA to find a place near where I live that is free of notification requirements (hospital landing pads, regional and local airports, landing strips, an AFB), I haven't flown it in 7 years.  It now occupies a large backpack in one of my bedrooms.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Mavic Pro here. You can get some amazing shots if you shoot raw and do some post work.

Storm Cell 20190526 by FredMan, on Flickr

Sunbeams 20190526 by FredMan, on Flickr

Storm Beams Pano by FredMan, on Flickr

Storm Pano 2021-06-30 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cchurchi] [#9]

Wow, those are amazing shots!  I wonder if my Mini-3 pro could do that with its smaller lens and image sensor.  I would like a larger drone but my primary use is making backpacking videos, so i need a small drone since my pack is already too heavy.

Another nice feature of the larger drones is that they are more stable in wind and perform better at high altitudes.  In the video below, i nearly crash my Mini-3 flying it in the thin air at 10,000+ feet.
Backpacking to KANE LAKE in Idaho's Pioneer Mountain Range | Kane Lake Idaho | Majestic Waterfalls
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The Mavic Pro has 1/2.3" 12 MP sensor.

ISO 100-1600 (this ain't for low light!)

The biggest issue is noise.  Hence the need for the ability to capture in raw format.

If I was buying one now I'd look hard at the Mavic 3 Classic, bearing in mind I'm in it more for the stills than the video.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By keiswa:
In 2016 I bought a Phantom 4 Pro.  I played around with it in my neighborhood for a while (not over anyone's house).  I took it to Colorado and got what I consider really good video in the mountains.  Since then, because it is such a PITA to find a place near where I live that is free of notification requirements (hospital landing pads, regional and local airports, landing strips, an AFB), I haven't flown it in 7 years.  It now occupies a large backpack in one of my bedrooms.
View Quote

If you're a Part 107 pilot, you can get LAANC Authorization to fly in a lot of those places that are fenced off for recreational flyers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By keiswa:
View Quote

One of the reasons I want to hold onto my Mavic Pro is that the geofencing is optional, not mandatory.

It’ll notify me, but not interfere with my flight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
DJI Mavic Air 2. Pictures from a cool and foggy February morning.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
I'm dabbling in the idea but apparently we don't have a drone forum

dude at the range was using his to see his targets

brilliant idea
View Quote

Closest forum we have is the Hobby forum.

Drones cross the line between Photography, Hobby, and Aviation forums.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#16]
So how close are the drones to handheld cameras as far as pic quality? 75% there? More? Less? I'm talking a $1500-2000 camera body, for example.

I'm spoiled on my Nikon D850. I don't have $5K (or more) to get a drone with super good pics. That's a shame, as my area is ripe with picture targets that I can't reach via foot or vehicle.

I read a post of someone's drone getting to 10K feet? Holy shit!

I wish more of the camera mags would do reviews on drones in a bit more detail. I would guess the lens is the weak point on a drone's system? I would love to read more about them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By USPguy:
So how close are the drones to handheld cameras as far as pic quality? 75% there? More? Less? I'm talking a $1500-2000 camera body, for example.

I'm spoiled on my Nikon D850. I don't have $5K (or more) to get a drone with super good pics. That's a shame, as my area is ripe with picture targets that I can't reach via foot or vehicle.

I read a post of someone's drone getting to 10K feet? Holy shit!

I wish more of the camera mags would do reviews on drones in a bit more detail. I would guess the lens is the weak point on a drone's system? I would love to read more about them.
View Quote

You’d be surprised.  Obviously the D850 is going to beat it on specs, but with a little post work they do very well.

My Mavic Pro has a 12.1MP 1/2.3” sensor, and raw capability.

Storm Beams Pano by FredMan, on Flickr

Storm Pano 2021-06-30 by FredMan, on Flickr

Sunbeams 20190526 by FredMan, on Flickr

Storm Cell 20190526 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

You’d be surprised.  Obviously the D850 is going to beat it on specs, but with a little post work they do very well.

My Mavic Pro has a 12.1MP 1/2.3” sensor, and raw capability.
View Quote

Would I be correct in guessing the mirrorless wave hasn't hit the drones yet? Saves a lot of weight, from what I'm reading. Less weight = more flying time?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

Would I be correct in guessing the mirrorless wave hasn't hit the drones yet? Saves a lot of weight, from what I'm reading. Less weight = more flying time?
View Quote

Most drones (and I imagine all consumer grade) are mirrorless.  Electronic shutters.  Weight and space limitations in the camera housing.

Just like the "shutter" in your phone camera.  Typically a "rolling" shutter as the sensor is read sequentially.  It really only matters when taking pictures of fast moving objects; you get the distortion effect of different parts of the sensor being read at different times, resulting in apparent bending of moving objects.

This shot is with a GoPro, but displays the effect very well.

FRA0C004 Ground Idle by FredMan, on Flickr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top