Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2021 11:46:03 AM EDT
I have a driveshaft that falls outside the standard “go to the scrapyard, and get another one” solution.

The slipjoint has a lot of play and shakes wickedly on deceleration.

*this is primarily a off road vehicle that sees limited road use*

What I’d like to try, is building up the surface with traditional bronze brazing rod, then grinding it down to restore a better fit in the joint.  

The question is, I don’t know what kind of heat treatments may be at play, and how brazing some material on would effect the hardness of the driving surfaces. ???????

‘85 Nissan720 if it matters.
It uses a weird arrangement of 4 half round grooves in the male and female portions, and then fills those (now circular) grooves with a series of balls/spacers.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're putting bronze on it, why worry about the hardness of the material underneath?  Bronze is like butter.

ETA:  See if there is a driveshaft shop in your AO.  They can fix it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The concern is altering the hardness of the grooves that the drive balls fit in.

I’d expect the bronze to be soft, but it’s purpose will only be to take up space and keep things (closer) to being aligned.

I just don’t want to wind up adding some material, and discovering 500 miles later that the entire driving surface has been degraded to mild steel butter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The concern is altering the hardness of the grooves that the drive balls fit in.

I’d expect the bronze to be soft, but it’s purpose will only be to take up space and keep things (closer) to being aligned.

I just don’t want to wind up adding some material, and discovering 500 miles later that the entire driving surface has been degraded to mild steel butter.
View Quote

Assuming that it was tight when new, the parts that wore and made it loose are the parts that need built back up.  They were steel to begin with, so you would be replacing the worn steel with bronze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top