Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2018 10:10:34 AM EDT
My drivers license expires next month. My question to you all is should I get the REAL ID compliant license with the star on it? Should I get my veterans status on my license? What are the benefits in your experience if you have any of these added to your license and what are the negatives, if any?  Seems like the REAL ID may be worth doing for traveling etc. What say the hive?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have my veterans insignia on mine. If you plan on flying you’ll probably need the real id. The whole real id is fucking stupid if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
No choice here in New Mexico.  Took my current passport card, SSN card and a couple credit card bills with my address on them.  I woulda thought the passport would have sufficed but nope.  The passport and SSN card were proof of identity and the cc bills were proof of residency.

So my license has the real ID star on it now so no need for all of this next renewal in 8 years or so.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just go the sovereign-citizen route. It seems to work out well on those Youtube videos I see.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Real ID was mandatory for me.  PITA having to physically go to the DMV and show my birth certificate.  Waited 2.5 hours for something that took 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a veteran but lest we forget, during the 0 administration, veterans were considered a threat and it was not unknown for the feds to caution local cops about vets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Wat? Never heard of this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Got mine done yesterday in less than 30 mins which was amazing. I don't know what's happened to our local DMV office but they sure seem to have improved personnel and efficiency. Got my REAL ID coming in the mail but I have to register with the VA here to get the status over to DMV via computer. I don;t take benefits from the VA but did get checked out about ten years ago and thought I'd be registered still. They did give me a quick eye test.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]
What is this REAL ID crap?

I’m actually going to renew my license in an hour, so glad I came across this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My drivers license expires next month. My question to you all is should I get the REAL ID compliant license with the star on it? Should I get my veterans status on my license? What are the benefits in your experience if you have any of these added to your license and what are the negatives, if any?  Seems like the REAL ID may be worth doing for traveling etc. What say the hive?
View Quote
You won't have a choice about Real ID.

Renewal at this point requires all the paperwork to get Real ID.  (The ID itself is actually pretty cool with the technology involved.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is this REAL ID crap?

I'm actually going to renew my license in an hour, so glad I came across this.
View Quote
Check your DMV website before going anywhere.

Real ID is a new updated technology card that's universal across states (as far as features, and requirements to get.)

Proves citizenship (us or them), and is required to get on an airplane. No real ID = no fly.

Google the rest.

You can thank the states that couldn't get their shit together in making ID cards that illegals couldn't fake.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a queston for you. I renewd mine in person a month ago and it still hasn't come in the mail. Do you think they forgot about me ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
My TX DL renewed last year and automatically came with the Real ID star.

No birth cert, passport, SS card, or any other form of ID required.

It just happened . . . was not even an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top