Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 6:06:27 PM EDT
Made these today for lunch...

Cajun season dove with roma tomato and Jack cheese...

I ate them all...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I must admit I went dove hunting once, and got my limit. I saw men shooting at flying doves at 500 yards and missing them. Who would have thunk.  After I cleaned the birds and popped out the breast I thought "You wasted half a day killing 2 bites of meat? I admit it was good experience learning to lead them and shooting them. But not worth the effort for food.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"You wasted half a day killing 2 bites of meat? I admit it was good experience learning to lead them and shooting them. But not worth the effort for food.
View Quote
red- if you got your limit, you had more than two bites

green- unless you're a subsistence hunter, it's not all about the food. i love just being out in nature, pursuing game, getting away from the hustle and bustle..etc. and at the end of it, if you're successful, there is some mighty fine eating. bacon wrapped dove breast is heavenly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Wrap the breast in bacon and hide a slice of jalapeño inside. Grill and then devour. I've found that if you let the breasts soak in salt water overnight they have a better flavor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
First dove hunting is passion to me at least...
but try this next time

Pepper bacon
Dove 1/2 breast
roma tomato slice
Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese

Wrap all it in the bacon stick a tooth pic thru it and 20 minutes in the oven ... most excellent
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wrap the breast in bacon and hide a slice of jalapeño inside. Grill and then devour. I've found that if you let the breasts soak in salt water overnight they have a better flavor.
View Quote
Try milk next time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't do anything crazy...they're so delicious they don't need much.  If I grill I wrap in bacon to keep from charring the meat and bacon is delicious.

Otherwise, I lightly salt/pepper them, and bake them till 165ºF internal.

FYI I don't breast them out, I cut the head/wings off with shears, then slide my thumb in below the breast bone and rip the entire breast plate off.  You eat the meat off the breast plate.  Easier, faster, and you get more meat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
How bout the bird shot in the meat what's the best way to get those small pellets out?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How bout the bird shot in the meat what's the best way to get those small pellets out?
View Quote
It's usually pretty minimal. It doesn't take much to knock them out of the sky, so maybe only a few pieces of shot hit anything vital. You'll see discoloration in the breast where any shot enters.

Prep wise, I do the bacon wrapped breast grilling method. I've also had pretty good luck deep frying them, or shredding them for tacos.

Sometimes the desert doves are a little tough, so the breasts as taco meat end up being a little more edible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Save only the dove's breast.  Soak in salted water 8-24 hours.  Wrap the beast with a slice of bacon.  I usually put a thin slice of Jalapeno Pepper between the breast and the bacon.  BBQ until the bacon is done.  Very very good eating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top