Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 9/29/2018 7:36:11 PM EDT
Anyone here read and like their books?

I done read anything with a "message" or that makes me think.

I am thoroughly enjoying the Pendergast books and I have already read six of them.

It boggles my mind the way these guys have this colossal idea and reveal just a bit of it in every book, so you learn a little more about the characters and the overall gestalt.

Geniuses, they are.

I also really like Howard Philips Lovecraft, and re-read his stuff from time to time.

The Hobbit and LOTR multiple times and also in Esperanto are old favorites.

Having read all of "A Song of Ice and Fire" and "Harry Potter" I am not sure what my tastes are.

Do any here share them, odd though they may be?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Big fan. Wish them well with the movie..
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I usually think making a movie ruins a book.

The target audience for a movie is entirely different from that of a book, and movies are usually pretty shallow and more superficial than a book.

(I think)
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Relic did well, and was also where Pendergast was introduced (in the book).

I think I have everything they’ve written.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good books, check out the other stuff they have written on their own, also very good. Also check out Douglas' brother, Richard Preston; " The Cobra Event",  " Demon in the Freezer", "Hot Zone". First one is fiction other two are true stories all about CBW.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep.  Big Preston and Child fan here.  I've read everything of theirs and have collected signed copies of several of the Pendergast series books.

Child writes on his own as well, and I enjoyed the two of his books that I've read, "Deep Storm" and "The Forgotten Room."  The tone is similar enough to the jointly-written books that I wonder what Preston's contribution to the partnership is.

I'm not a huge Lovecraft fan; I always found his ideas more on the surrealistic side than either horror or sci-fi.  LOTR, "A Song of Ice and Fire,"--both great epics, although the LOTR books get tedious in places.

I started the Harry Potter books late and had to read the first five in quick succession to catch up when the sixth came out, but enjoyed the whole series enough to read it several times.  I don't find them particularly thought-provoking, but I find them entertaining.  Who doesn't enjoy a light snack before bed?
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top