Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 1:56:06 AM EDT
Help with selection... anything under $500
Need  to pick   doubleDIN receiver,  prefer a VOLUME KNOB rather than touch screen.
do not need multimedia, navigation, no bullshit.
Play CD, radio, pandora/bluetooth.
Must have integral amplifier, no huge power required..
. Looking at Pioneer, JVC, Alpine. dont really know what is good  anymore.
. Thanks for any tips.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at the  Kenwood DDX374BT for my 05 Silverado. Lotta good stuff plus reverse camera.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I just installed a Sony XAV-AX100 in my FJ Cruiser last weekend.  I got it from Crutchfield, was only $329.  I really like it so far.  It has a volume knob which I wanted as well but also a touch screen.  I was drawn to it because it has a very nice, elegant appearance, almost like an OEM headunit.  Not cheesy looking like so many headunits are nowadays.  I have an iPhone and the XAV-AX100 works with Carplay which is pretty cool.  It also works with the Android version.

It does not have a CD player though.  I got rid of all my CD's years ago and have all of my music on a thumbdrive that I plug into the USB port.  I can also play my music through my iPhone as well (Bluetooth or USB connection).

Sony XAV-AX100 at Crutchfield

Attachment Attached File

If you must have a CD player then there is the Sony XAV-AX200 but it is priced right at your $500 limit.

Sony XAV-AX200 at Crutchfield
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I yanked the stock RAV4 double din, CD player, out of the wife's car and replaced with a Sony XAV-AX-100 from Crutchfield...had them do all the wiring for +$24.

With Apple Carplay it is fantastic. We don't miss CD's. I'm guessing Android play would be similar. Good luck in your search.

Heck, I don't even use my CD player in my Tacoma any longer...I built a wood sun visor for my OEM unit and stuck it in the CD slot.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put a jvc in my sierra. I think it was $180 from crutchfield, with the adapter kit for the blinkers and chimes. Crutchfield was actually cheaper than ebay or Amazon on the install accessories for the head unit if you buy the head unit from them.

I have bluetooth, front and rear usb, and radio preset buttons which I like. I like jvc also because you can change the display colors.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got and email from Crutchfield...

Here is a JVC for $120...CD player.
Crutchfield has the BEST customer service, Virginia based, live, English speaking folk...
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Kenwood 396 from Crutchfield,in transit.  Had to retain cd playback capability. We'll have a demo/report after install.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Edit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
@Fullpower

this one? Kenwood Excelon DDX395, Looks nice

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, pretty close.
 buttons stacked on Left hand side, volume KNOB prominent..   For  wife's daily driver.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put one of those in the wifes car ( VW Tiguan ),  it's not bad at all.  Nice EQ,  setups for crossovers and time delay for each speaker.

Sun washes out the screen fairly easy but I haven't had a chance to sit with it in the sunlight and play with the settings for viewing angle and contrast ( blacks ).

Being able to setup the order on the home screen makes it so the 3 main inputs you use are always on top of the screen for the play modes.

Crutchfields pre-done wire harness was ALMOST perfect,  the antenna plug did not completely match the one on the wifes car but it was close enough that 30 seconds with a razor blade trimming some key tabs down had it working perfectly.

I haven't received my backup camera from Amazon yet so I can't tell you how well that works yet,  not looking forward to running those wires through the car.   The HU installation took me about 40 minutes total.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Kenwood in my daily driver.  It's an older one and like you I wanted the volume knob.  You can press on the knob to attenuate the volume, very handy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So my Sony XAV-AX is two months old and it will not pair with Iphones now...connects via cable for Apple Carplay but not Bluetooth. Android just fine.
Crutchfield called Sony and found out they might release a firmware update...but not certain when

Crutchfield said that's not good GB, pick a new unit. I did (@ +$100) and they are boxing it up with full harness setup and all accessories necessary. They said it would ship Monday and to send the old unit back within 14 days. They included the harnesses, harness work, trim, mounts at no cost...just  the $100 cost for a nicer unit. Their customer service is awesome.

New unit, Kenwood DMX7705S
Retains all OEM controls and console inputs
Attachment Attached File

@Dynamo if you have any issues with the XAV-AX100 there is a firmware update if necessary. Just an FYI and there is YouTube on how to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So my Sony XAV-AX is two months old and it will not pair with Iphones now...connects via cable for Apple Carplay but not Bluetooth. Android just fine.
Crutchfield called Sony and found out they might release a firmware update...but not certain when

Crutchfield said that's not good GB, pick a new unit. I did (@ +$100) and they are boxing it up with full harness setup and all accessories necessary. They said it would ship Monday and to send the old unit back within 14 days. They included the harnesses, harness work, trim, mounts at no cost...just  the $100 cost for a nicer unit. Their customer service is awesome.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/g113DMX7705-o_other3_jpg-771759.JPG

@Dynamo if you have any issues with the XAV-AX100 there is a firmware update if necessary. Just an FYI and there is YouTube on how to.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks for letting me know.  I have not had any iPhone connection issues *knock on wood* and it has the latest firmware.  The other day though I did have an issue where the USB connection kept cutting out.  I normally have a thumbdrive plugged in that has all of my music and it would randomly cut out and say device not connected or something like that.  I ended up pulling the unit out that evening and checking all of the connections.  Everything looked ok and I haven't had any issues since so I dunno what the problem was.  If it keeps happening I will call Crutchfield.

ETA: Was it working fine and then just quit connecting to your iPhone out of the blue?  Or did it happen after a firmware update or some other change?  @ORARGB
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
@Dynamo

kind of strange...connected the first part of November when new to Bluetooth on iPhone. last half of Nov and up until last week it was intermittent. I would do a factory reset on the unit, unpaired the phones, after many attempts I could get it to connect Bluetooth. But, it would never auto connect when I got in and started the car. Wife's car and she was getting pissed.

Updated our iPhone to 12.1.1 this week. No connection now at all. My Android connects right away. Remember, I bought the 1000 and you have the 100 so there is a difference.

With the new Kenwood I get back my console connectivity, a bigger screen, and Android play along with Apple Carplay. Waze also but I've read some bad reviews about this...will check it out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Dynamo

kind of strange...connected the first part of November when new to Bluetooth on iPhone. last half of Nov and up until last week it was intermittent. I would do a factory reset on the unit, unpaired the phones, after many attempts I could get it to connect Bluetooth. But, it would never auto connect when I got in and started the car. Wife's car and she was getting pissed.

Updated our iPhone to 12.1.1 this week. No connection now at all. My Android connects right away. Remember, I bought the 1000 and you have the 100 so there is a difference.

With the new Kenwood I get back my console connectivity, a bigger screen, and Android play along with Apple Carplay. Waze also but I've read some bad reviews about this...will check it out.
View Quote
@ORARGB

Ah, didn't realize you have the 1000.  My iPhone is on 12.1, hesitant to update it now.

I was able to retain my factory USB outlet as well.  There is an adapter (PAC USB-TYP2) that worked for my FJ.  I got it from Crutchfield when I ordered my Sony unit.  Their system did not show it working with my FJ but I got it anyway and it works.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice you got that to work. I will have all with the Kenwood... Crutchfield spent some time with me on the phone to ensure everything is GTG. Great service.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/g113DMX7705-o_other3_jpg-771759.JPG

View Quote
Just FYI - That Kenwood unit has been marked down to $399 at Crutchfield.

@ORARGB
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Ordered the Kenwood 574 yesterday, figured I'd get the HD radio. Looks like I'll also add the XM radio module for $30.  Probably won't activate it, but for $30 putting it in from the start is the smart thing to do.

ETA:  radio was $245 on Amazon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top