User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually I believe the .50 BMG is an upsized 30-06 round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just a downsized .50 bmg round

Actually I believe the .50 BMG is an upsized 30-06 round.

It is
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@popnfresh
Lol I don't have any 748 and even if I could get any these days, I'm not that dumb.
Thanks for the info.
Have you played with the 190-220 gr stuff at all? Opinions/ real data vs the 230s?
ATM my experience stops at 175gr
View Quote

(W748 is a great powder, I use it in all my .308 loads from 150-230gr(except for the 1 single feed), Grendel loads from 90gr-147gr and 5.56 from 55-90gr. It also throws great, you can load precision ammo on a progressive it's so consistent.)

@silverknife1
But anyway, in that range I have used Berger 185 Juggernaut, 200.20X(just fit my mag 2.845"), 210VLD Target and 215 Hybrid(not mag length).
Of those, the 185 Jugger is great for up to 1k yds or possibly into subsonic distances. 200.20X would be a great choice, but I could only get an around 1moa at the velocity I needed to match my 230otm performance and velocities weren't as tight so it would be worse for my needs. The 215 Hybrid will beat my 230 but has too long of a nose for mag length.

I moved so all my loading stuff is packed up and I have a bunch of other shit to do first, but I really want to try the 208LR Hybrid Target and the 220 LRHT(just fit in a 2.850" mag), they are both great contenders based on the numbers. I also want to try the 245 EOL, but that will have to wait until my third barrel, which will be a 9 twist(currently 10 twist).

Once in the 200+gr range of these LR bullets, they all could perform about the same depending on which gives you the best combo. I would lean toward the lighter if max range isn't a desire. It almost comes down to which has the better SD/ES they are so close or maybe you need more distance tolerance so the faster flatter might be better if the velocities are tight.

I want maximum velocity retention for banging steel as far as possible. Where I live now, with the 230otm, I don't go subsonic until 1500 yards out of a 20" .308. The long bullets are shit going subsonic though, no hope of hitting a barn at that point lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My 30-06 I had custom built for me a few years back.  Rem 700 action with a 24" Pacnor barrel.  In a magpul stock for now and topped with a 4.5-18 Bushnell LRHS.  I have run this out to 1200 target shooting with 178 bthps and have no doubt my 200 eld-x loads will take any game I need it to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Isn't owning one a requirement for PA citizenship? (Note to self:  Add pump-action 30.06 to shopping list.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Mennonite Machingun"

I swear, the majority of pump 30-06 ever produced were sold in PA.

Speed  

Isn't owning one a requirement for PA citizenship? (Note to self:  Add pump-action 30.06 to shopping list.)
You have two choices....at least circa 1970's/80's  1) 30-06 bolt or pump   2) 30-30 lever
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Broke out my 760 Carbine 30-06 and took this guy on Jan 7.
 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This was pre ww2, and the us was looking at a different rifle and caliber, so commonality meant jack shit at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, who wants ammo commonality between your bolt action battle rifles,  that you have millions of, the M1906 BAR, and your M1919 Browning machine guns, with your new semi-automatic battle rifle?

This was pre ww2, and the us was looking at a different rifle and caliber, so commonality meant jack shit at the time.

This was pre ww2, when the Army didn’t have big money to go replace millions of rounds of surplus .30 ball ammo just for a new rifle.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top