Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2023 1:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorWester]
I discovered it and thought, "well at least it wasn't dark chocolate, because that's the most toxic to them, right?" Wrong! I googled it and the cocoa powder in brownies can be almost twice as toxic as dark chocolate and cocoa beans are 3 times that. Dr Google says to get them to a vet immediately. Called the closest emergency vet (Saturday of course) and they passed me off to another because they were backed up. The other one recommended calling the Pet Poison Helpline 1st,  which I did. After getting all the info, including breed, weight of the dog, age, general health, even the name of the brownie mix, she did some calculations and told me that Layla may have stomach problems for a day or two but didn't eat enough to warrant an emergency vet visit. They charge $85 but that's a bargain considering the local emergency clinics hit you with $300-$400 to walk in the door. I've read that even your regular vet will call the Helpline or the ASPCA version 1st thing and that gets added to your bill likely along with a surcharge anyway. A good # to have handy in your contacts.

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/

ETA She's doing fine today, got up before me, and barked at me to get up and feed her. No stomach upset at all but considering that she's seemingly got a cast iron stomach, I'm not surprised.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
She’ll be aight. But watch out for
1)either liquid projectile poop

2) Constipation and one day seeing a fucking log come out

You did the right thing calling the poison line!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear.

My step-daughter and her POS husband had a dachshund that ate a bunch of chocolate. They didn't do a damn thing and the dog died within 12 hours.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
She looks very pleased with herself --- almost boastful !
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigfish9202:
She looks very pleased with herself --- almost boastful !
View Quote
"I did it and I'd do it again!"

She went outside and had a normal crap and wants to go for a walk now. Like I said, a cast iron stomach.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Hydrogen Peroxide [3%] to make your dog barf after eating stuff like this that can make them ill.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My 200 pound mastiff ate half a chocolate cake once.  Barely burped.  Not that it should be encouraged, but for the giant breeds it takes an awful lot of stuff like that to make a dent
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My 24 pound dachshund mix ate 3 pounds of ground beef once.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
In the future checkout the Dog Chocolate Calculator - it asks the weight & size of dog, type of chocolate, quantity of chocolate

https://www.vets-now.com/app/chocolate-calculator

another one:
https://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
We had a beagle mix that ate 2 pounds of fine German milk chocolate when we were out at Christmas Eve service one year.

Absolutely no issues. No shits, no problems, lived another 7 years to the ripe age of 14.

Still can’t explain it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one eat a baited fish hook that cost me thousands to have removed, surgically.

He's nearing end of life now, totally worth it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Our yellow lab ate a whole costco size box of granola bars...he tore the corner on each one and carefullu pulled them out of the wrapper. Wife was " we need to get his stomach pumped" me...." he is a lab" (he is my 5th)

Same guy brought the garden hose in the house...while it was running....hardwood not happy.

He is 14 now....

Rope is run to watch come back out...lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Dark chocolate and pure cocoa are the dangers. I would not have worried about brownies.

Only thing that ever made me slightly nervous was when I caught my dog eating the tinfoil I’d had ribs wrapped in on the grill. He ate at least one piece and part of another before I caught him. Turned out he had no issues. I was fairly certain he’d be okay because I had a husky once that ate an entire disposable aluminum pie tin with no ill effects.

Of course this morning I woke up to projectile diarrhea all over the living room carpet. (None on the hard floor, of course). Got it mostly cleaned up, went to church and came back to find fresh diarrhea upstairs. No idea what he got into, but he seem to be happy now. Eating and acting perfectly normal. So we got to buy a new carpet cleaner today, so that was nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife got me a pound of coconut clusters from Gertude Hawks . We went out that night came home to find the empty container. My 140 # German Shepherd almost died that night. But it wasn't from the chocolate. He was fine from that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]

These folks are the real deal. They have access to a tremendous amount of info..

Dog-sitting for my daughter, her dog got into a container of joint supplements that we gave to our older dog.  Just to calm down my wife, I called these folks.  It took them about 45 seconds to find the ingredient list and tell me that over 20 of them was a serious threat for the dog that weight.

They called the emergency vet while we were on the way and the vet had a treatment plan ready when we got there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Hydrogen Peroxide [3%] to make your dog barf after eating stuff like this that can make them ill.

View Quote

This.

My idiot dog ate a nitrile (“latex”) glove. I put some hydrogen peroxide in a bowl and he lapped it right up. When he didn’t puke after 10-15 minutes I put more in for him to drink. There is an actual weight-based calculation to it. After the 2nd “dose,” he barfed the glove right up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
I had one eat a baited fish hook that cost me thousands to have removed, surgically.

He's nearing end of life now, totally worth it.
View Quote

This guy

Attachment Attached File

Had 6 of these surgically removed

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NorWester:
I discovered it and thought, "well at least it wasn't dark chocolate, because that's the most toxic to them, right?" Wrong! I googled it and the cocoa powder in brownies can be almost twice as toxic as dark chocolate and cocoa beans are 3 times that. Dr Google says to get them to a vet immediately. Called the closest emergency vet (Saturday of course) and they passed me off to another because they were backed up. The other one recommended calling the Pet Poison Helpline 1st,  which I did. After getting all the info, including breed, weight of the dog, age, general health, even the name of the brownie mix, she did some calculations and told me that Layla may have stomach problems for a day or two but didn't eat enough to warrant an emergency vet visit. They charge $85 but that's a bargain considering the local emergency clinics hit you with $300-$400 to walk in the door. I've read that even your regular vet will call the Helpline or the ASPCA version 1st thing and that gets added to your bill likely along with a surcharge anyway. A good # to have handy in your contacts.

ETA She's doing fine today, got up before me, and barked at me to get up and feed her. No stomach upset at all but considering that she's seemingly got a cast iron stomach, I'm not surprised.

https://i.imgur.com/HmBLKkc.jpg

View Quote

Lol, she’s like, those brownies ain’t nothing compared to what I eat when you’re not around! I’m always amazed what animals can get away with eating. My dog eats the dumbest shit. She goes out and starts scarfing down loose potting soil out of my wife’s flower pots. It she does it really fast because she knows I’m coming to grab her. Like, how does that even taste good! I mean we have a fenced in yard and I feel like I have to leash her most times because of the stuff she eats. I have never owned a dog like this. Then it’s kinda a shock when you hear of dogs getting critically I’ll or dying from simple stuff.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My black lab ate a bag of halloween snickers, wrappers and all.  The poison line?  Strange
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike9199] [#19]
Had the same thing yesterday, our doggy ate the package of chocolate candies.
The worst part about it - he is diabetic and those things can be very dangerous for him.
We need to Buy Vetsulin Online for him every few months and take a very good care of his diet actually.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#20]
My old dog in my avatar ate a couple of large milk chocolate rabbits and 11 hard boiled eggs out of the kids Easter baskets one year.  No adverse effects except the horrendous smelling farts for a few days
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a German Shorthair.  She ate three bags of chocolate miniatures and kisses.  Tin foil wrapping and all. We would never have known it had we not found a couple of wrappers on the floor the next day.  Never phased her.  She ate her normal dinner and begged for more, as usual.

I think the chocolate is bad for dogs is over done.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Were you able to save the other 1/2 pan of brownies?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top