Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 7:00:53 PM EDT
Neiko, our must whom we've had for 4 years just suddenly became terrified of thunderstorms this year.

Can anyone explain why this happens?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a singular dog thing.  
The mother of my pup will become part of your leg if a .22 is fired four miles away, and at the first sound of thunder she's under the closest bed.

She'll run 2000 # bucking bulls through chutes and into pens without stop though.

Luckily for me my pup doesn't care about thunder or gunshots
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 huskies and the one is scared of thunder since she turned 9. Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Our dog has the same issue she developed a few years back.  We got one of these and it's helped her with the noise, fireworks, thunder issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife just informed me while we were brainstorming this evening that this started after we switched their food from Merrick to Taste of the Wild.

Could this be the culprit?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Would be interested to find out if dietary changes can cause this.  Scooby had a bout of pancreatitis back in Feb, with a resulting change in food, and almost immediately became afraid of loud booming vibrating noises - thunder, artillery, etc...  When he was outside he used to sleep on the patio under cover during rain and light thunderstorms prior to that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
One of our dogs that we've had since being a puppy is terrified of thunder. Our rescue dog couldn't care less.

Not sure why a dog would randomly develop that behavior 4 years in tho.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Both of my dogs have become afraid of storms in the last year. Instead of buying Thundershirts, I just wrapped them in 6-inch elastic bandages similar to what is shown in this link: Elastic wrap your dog

It's amazing how it calms them down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Your diet is not the culprit, lol.  They are animals, until they start talking the acceptable answer is "they are dogs".    Thundershirts can be great and imo help in about 50% of storm phobias; medications are your second best bet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My eight year old Shiba Inu developed a fear of storms around two years ago.  Before that, he wasn't bothered in the least.

Now if a big storm comes through and I'm not there, I'll find every pillow in the house displaced and occasionally a poop on the floor as well.

If I'm home, he'll just stay really close which is not his normal MO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It is certainly odd, which ones do fear it.  My lab, the best gun dog/retriever I have ever seen could sit at the range and sleep while we all shot, yet could not stand a single thunder clap.  He would run and hide.

My Great Dane, and my English Mastiff both love thunder and lightning.  We watched the show here last month.  They just sit and watch, and don't even flinch.

Very odd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My dog has always been scared of thunder.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI it's not only dogs.  One of our 2 cats suddenly became spooked by thunder.  He runs into the first floor bathroom (inner room with no windows) and hides under the toilet.  We had a dog that developed the same problem so we knew about Thundershirts so we got the cat one.  He sits still and purrs while you put it on him, almost as if he knows it will make him feel better.  Once on he's back to his usual loving self.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a 9 year old boston terrier that developed a fear of the printer and stapler this year but is fine during thunderstorms .

Every time you turn the printer on or staple something she casually heads upstairs and there is no stopping her.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top