Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 10/28/2018 8:27:31 PM EDT
Anybody use one?  Door or wall pass thru?  Moving to a new house and doing a kitchen renovation....our dog is constantly in and out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Door if it is in/near kitchen. Walls can be a little tricky. You can have one installed in a glass slider, not cheap but you will love it if you need too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
At the old house I installed a PlexiDor in a door. At the current house same thing but did a through-wall installation. They were both tricky in their own way. The door was metal so I had to use a Sawzall with a metal blade and then due a little grinding for fine tuning. In the wall installation I had to trim out the "tunnel" with some pine board. Both installations came out really nice.

I'd say do whichever works best geographically/logistically/operationally, as it's not that much extra work to do a through-wall if you'd rather have the dog door positioned in a particular spot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yes, well, if any such was attempted here there would be three Akitas on his ass. For as long as said ass might last, which would be none too long.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't like dog doors just because with my luck I'd wake up to him doing battle with a skunk or raccoon in the kitchen in the middle of the night and that's not a mess that I'm willing to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a homemade one for years that opened into an enclosed cement pad with chain link fence. I just got one From Chewy.com to replace it. The old one let in a lot of cold air in the winter. The new one seals up well when the dogs go in or out. It's worth it to spend a little more for the better ones.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw a really cool one in a video awhile back.  Dog had an e-collar on and when he approached the door it slid up into the wall automatically and closed after he went thru.  Pretty badass.

Not sure if real but it's a great concept.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The electronic doors are real. Plexidor makes one, as do at least a couple of other companies.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I got one that fits in a sliding glass door.  It is a full panel that you just close the in the door jamb.

It is good, but probable needs to be in a door YOU do not use.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody use one?  Door or wall pass thru?  Moving to a new house and doing a kitchen renovation....our dog is constantly in and out.
View Quote
Nope. Too many bad things that could happen.

Both of my girls can easily hold it for 12 hrs so its a non-issue for me anyway.

'If' one is going to have an accident - They will go do it on the liner in their crate before resuming their position guarding my couch.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top