Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2021 3:09:54 AM EDT
One of my dogs has had diarrhea for 5 days. She is 11.  Her and my other two dogs spent 5 days boarded at Petsmart. I have given her pumpkin and started with chicken and rice but it is not completely helping. Has anyone ever used Vets Preferred Advanced Anti-Diarrhea? I am thinking of buying it but I am not sure it will help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
One of my dogs has had diarrhea for 5 days. She is 11.  Her and my other two dogs spent 5 days boarded at Petsmart. I have given her pumpkin and started with chicken and rice but it is not completely helping. Has anyone ever used Vets Preferred Advanced Anti-Diarrhea? I am thinking of buying it but I am not sure it will help.
View Quote

I just went through this with two of my dogs that had their teeth cleaned at Banfield this week.  In my case, I believe it was the effects of the anesthesia.

As I have done in the past, I started both dogs eating rice only with chicken flavoring.  When the diarrhea got to the stage that there was blood in it, I gave both dogs a dose of Pepto Bismol and continued another day of feeding with rice and blending in their dog food (I feed them three times a day ~ roughly every eight hours).  Yes, Pepto Bismol is safe https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/is-pepto-bismol-safe-for-dogs/ and it has the dosage in the link.

Obviously, if after a couple of days of rice and Pepto Bismol and the diarrhea doesn't lessen, you might then consider going to your vet.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go to the vet.  Have blood work and a fecal float done.   If the dog has had it for 5 days,  something is going on.

Could be enteritis , flagellates, all kinds of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You can give a dog Imodium. I have and it works good. Take it to the vet
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to the vet.  Have blood work and a fecal float done.   If the dog has had it for 5 days,  something is going on.

View Quote

This.  The runs are the symptom not the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My pup had giardia.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone. I will keep her diet light and get her into the vet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My doberman starting having diarrhea pretty regularly, and we were lucky to get a solid stool out of him once a day.

Got blood work done, which indicated something wrong with his liver enzymes. Went in to get scans, and they found cancer, that had already started and spread from his spleen.

It moved fast. We had him for 6 more months before he started having problems going to the bathroom, keeping food down, and in constant pain. He was only 6.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My doberman starting having diarrhea pretty regularly, and we were lucky to get a solid stool out of him once a day.

Got blood work done, which indicated something wrong with his liver enzymes. Went in to get scans, and they found cancer, that had already started and spread from his spleen.

It moved fast. We had him for 6 more months before he started having problems going to the bathroom, keeping food down, and in constant pain. He was only 6.
View Quote

So sorry to hear that.

After waiting 4.5 hours for the ER vet because there was a 3 week wait at my regular vet, they gave her a probiotic and antibiotic. It worked right after the first dose. Vet thinks it was just anxiety from being kenneled. She is my dramatic one but I am just glad it was not anything serious.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Dramatic one, lol. Good to hear all is okay.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top