Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a color copy of my stamp laminated. 2"x3".

ETA: PAGE OWNAGE!!!! PAGE 5 is mi........
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Tax stamps didn't work out very well for King George.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Never
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep 25% photocopies to see who can actually read them... fuck anybody with less than 20/15 vision
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep 25% photocopies to see who can actually read them... fuck anybody with less than 20/15 vision
View Quote

12.5% is the size I have printed and laminated in my range bag.  i.e., the size where you can reduce 8 pages to a single page...and then it's also double-sided.  The ATF agent better have a magnifying glass, but I think they usually do carry them. It's how they find their cocks when they need to take a piss.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

12.5% is the size I have printed and laminated in my range bag.  i.e., the size where you can reduce 8 pages to a single page...and then it's also double-sided.  The ATF agent better have a magnifying glass, but I think they usually do carry them. It's how they find their cocks when they need to take a piss.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine might be that small too, I can read them still with my Lasik vision but readers are in my future
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck no.  The crusty old range officer (who lives there in a camper) gives no shits.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The range I used to belong to had a rule that any member could ask to see your stamp and you had to produce it or leave.
They had a rule that if you did not show up for clean up days, you were fined.

Fuck them !
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How would they know if it's real or not anyhow?  Did they get some magic verification phone number into the BATFE to validate them?
View Quote
The magic number is actually (304) 616-4490 which is the Martinsburg Operations Center, but if you can't identify as a federal agent they won't query the NFRTR for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Local indoor range has it written in the rules to show the stamp before shooting.  They say it is because the ATF has threatened them.  They are assholes, so I really don't believe this.

County range used to ask, but rarely checked.  Last year they didn't check me once. They did lose their shit when I was using my binary trigger, so they made a special rule against them, just because of me.  I fucked up and fired it without my can on one day.  I thought the range dude was going to shit himself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with you at all.

I'm just saying there's a real disconnect here about many things, most importantly to this post/thread, whether businesses can have rules that GD doesn't like or not.

I can't keep up with what businesses should and shouldn't do with their own business, it's all quite exhausting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Your rules suck. I'm spending my money somewhere else and telling all my friends that your rules suck. My money, my rules. If you don't like it don't take my money."

See? It works both ways.

I don't disagree with you at all.

I'm just saying there's a real disconnect here about many things, most importantly to this post/thread, whether businesses can have rules that GD doesn't like or not.

I can't keep up with what businesses should and shouldn't do with their own business, it's all quite exhausting.

That's the thing about customer service. Hard and fast rules don't work very well. Even "The customer is always right" has plenty of exceptions. I work in health care and have plenty of patients who throw fits when their physicians order carb-controlled diets 2/2 uncontrolled beetus, and I won't bring them 87 cans of Pepsi every shift.

Not to mention, firearms- related businesses have real problems in customer service that Culvers and Hate Chicken don't have, for reasons that escape me. Maybe they get jaded when CFA can go years without a single visit from an unbathed 400# veteran of the Guerros del Pollos who crowds the counter telling everyone how peanut oil will is okay here but still get you killed on da streetz.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went to a local DNR range several years ago and when I started shooting with my suppressor the RO literally came running, yelling about me needing a tax stamp. Then when I went to take it out of my bag he told me he didn’t want to see it but the game wardens might if they showed up. Weird.
View Quote

Last time I was at a traditional range me and the RO talked suppressors and he was sold as me shooting suppressed (nobody else there) was quite pleasant.  

They didn't care for MG fire
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The range I used to belong to had a rule that any member could ask to see your stamp and you had to produce it or leave.

Fuck them !
View Quote
Was is called the CCP Gun Range. Wow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I belong to a private gun club and I've never been asked!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ask to see their corporate income tax return.  Gotta be sure they're on the up and up.
View Quote
my man!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#19]
We don't have those here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Went to an indoor range while we lived in Clearwater, FL. Counter monkeys wanted to see my tax stamp for my MP5. Told him no, that was a personal tax document and he had zero reason to see it. He told me he would have to confiscate the MP5 until proof of ownership could be determined.
Told him he was going to have one hell of a fight on his hands if he thought for a second he was going to take my MP5.
Our little exchange got the attention of a cop and store manager. Manager wanted to k ow what was going on. Told him his flunky was writing a check his ass couldn't cash. The cop laughed. The manager said he would take care of the counter monkey.
The wife looked at me and asked if she really heard that kid right. Told her yes. She laughed, a lot.

The store was Shoot Straight over by the Tampa fairgrounds.

After we moved back here to Knoxville. I had my Serbu Super Shorty at one of the outdoor ranges. RSO asked me for the tax form. Told him nope. Call a  cop or the ATF if it's that important to you. He walked away.
View Quote

Seems like a common occurrence in FL.

Sometime in either 2009 or 2010 I was shooting at a range in New Port Richey. Forget the name of the place it was an indoor range and shop off of SR54.

I merely flashed it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a fudd rso measure my bone stock bcm recce to make sure it wasn't under 16.
Just asked him if the pin and weld looked ok to him or not.  Never for my stamp.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I work as a volunteer RSO at a public range.  The short answer is no.  I am there for safety first and good customer service second.  Not law enforcement.

The longer answer is it's not policy to do so and it does not make any sense to do so.

An NFA item itself is not illegal.  (I live in a free state.)  Next, NFA documentation is a tax record that I have no right to see.  Add to that even if someone had training on how to interpret a Form 4, how would they positively ID the responsible person or persons?  And from a practical standpoint, what criminal would go to a public place to shoot an illegal NFA item?  

If I were required to ask for documentation, I would quit working there.  

Shoe on the other foot,........if someone asked me for documentation, that is their house, their rules.  If I did not like it, I would just find somewhere else to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck them !

The " Board of Directors " was taken over by Massholes, Connectucunts and New Yukers...I am sure it has gotten worse since I left.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I have my own range. Tax stamp is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The range that I used to go to in MN, yes, they always asked to see a stamp.  I moved to Georgia for a while, and they never asked.  That surprised me, so I asked why not?  They said, "It's your ass, not ours".
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems like a common occurrence in FL.

Sometime in either 2009 or 2010 I was shooting at a range in New Port Richey. Forget the name of the place it was an indoor range and shop off of SR54.

I merely flashed it.
View Quote

Almost all indoor ranges in the Tampa/Orlando area ask to see it if you're bringing NFA items..... especially the "boutique" shooting centers that have been springing up.

Dade City Rod/Gun allows Suppressors/SBR's, and I've been asked if I had copies of my paperwork....but they didn't actually ask to see them.

Every MG shoot I've ever been to asked that you have copies of your forms available for inspection.

That whole "confidential tax document" business only places restrictions on what the Fed. agency actually retaining the information can release to 3rd parties.....think the redacted forms you get copies of when you do a NFRTR FOIA request....

I don't really know what the big deal is.....I just keep laminated copies in my range bags....
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, not once.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, and I told them no, I don’t have them in me.  

Wasn’t asked to leave.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I have at a range in spring tx.  RO didnt have a fucking clue what he was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I have reduced laminated copies in my range bags and images of all of them in a file on my phone...but if you ain't an ATF agent or an IRS agent...you likely ain't gonna see them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mine might be that small too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine might be that small too...

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The NRA HQ range is where I shoot the most often and I've seen in their written rules that you must have paperwork and show it if asked if you choose to shoot an NFA item there.  Thus, when I brought my first NFA item there several months ago, I asked if they needed to see the paperwork when I was checking in...and was pleasantly surprised that the guy responded, "Nope, I don't work for the ATF."
View Quote

RSO there asked to see the paperwork for my GSG-5 22LR with the faux silencer (that doesn't look like a silencer).
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#34]
At my club nobody bats an eye. Suppressors and SBR's are relatively common there. They might say something if you screwed a fram on the end of your barrel, but even then I'm not sure.

I did get asked at a public indoor range once, recently actually. RO thought he was a badass, all tatted up with eagles and moon labe and everything else. I knew the guy was a tool as soon as he approached me. I had a can on a 1911 and another can on an ar pistol, both well known commercial manufacturers, not form 1's. He was immediately breathing down my neck asking "do you have a permit for those?". I had always waited for this sort of BS and was kinda excited it was actually happening. Haha. I told him there was no such thing as a permit and he got argumentative. I explained it was a tax stamp, yes I have them and yes these are legal, and proceeded to go about my business. He said he wanted to see them, I asked him if he has his w2 from his employer. He wanted to know what that had to do with anything and I told him I'll be glad to show him my tax documents when he shows me his. I went about shooting, he went and talked to somebody who apparently told him to stand down. But then he started the "2 seconds between shots!" BS and I swear if I shot at 1.9 he was up my ass. Meanwhile a guy next to me had an ar go full giggle inadvertently because of as he put it "a garage trigger job". Scared the shit out of the dude. RO didn't make him pack it up. I rolled up and left after 15 minutes of the hour I paid. F that place. It's as fuddy/amateur hour as any range around these parts.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

RSO there asked to see the paperwork for my GSG-5 22LR with the faux silencer (that doesn't look like a silencer).
View Quote

A lot of different folks working there. Most of them look like they could gather all of their friends in a phone booth, but I've been shooting there for 25+ years and have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Never been asked to see my stamp for my suppressor. But did have a range owner talk down to me for having an AR pistol with a brace. His RO watched me like a hawk the whole time, I presume to see if the brace touched my shoulder. This was back when that was an issue. I've never been back to that range. Shame, it was nice.
View Quote

Yeah, the range nazi's were hard over for braces for a while.

DFW Gun Range went up to a young couple next to me and lectured them that the ATF instructed them to not let people on the range shoulder a brace.  WTF?  Wanted to ask if the ATF paying you to be their @ssclown?

Not like the old days.  Management are now a bunch of wusses.  Haven't been back.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if all these tax stamp compliance heroes would ask the same question of a guy who didn't clearly look like a member of the productive class.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a single time.

I did have an RO ask if my rifle had a compliant number of US parts, which earned a brief WTF look, but he was joking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
How the fuck do you even possess a factory suppressor without a tax stamp? Form 1 stuff I can see might look iffy but if you have name brand stuff there’s no way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Never been asked.  I stopped carrying forms/stamps about 15 years ago.

When Camp Perry was testing out the electronic scoring system a couple years ago you could shoot basically anything you wanted on it if you were there for the national matches.  I grabbed a suppressed SBR out of my trunk and played with it for an hour on the electronic scoring.  I thought I might get to talk to someone about that, but noone gave a shit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have reduced laminated copies in my range bags and images of all of them in a file on my phone...but if you ain't an ATF agent or an IRS agent...you likely ain't gonna see them.
View Quote

I have the same paperwork in my range bag, at 8 pages per sheet, double sided.  Bust out your magnifying glass bitch!  

But in my state most NFA items are illegal, with an exception for items "possessed in conformity with federal law"...so state and local authorities can demand proof of the stamp and arrest you if you do not provide it.  

Ranges have no legal authority to demand you produce it, but like any private property owner, they are free to establish their own rules and ask you to leave if you violate the rules...and those rules can and often do include being required to show NFA paperwork for NFA items used on their premises.  Yes, it's stupid...and inconsistent in that they aren't attempting to enforce other federal, state and local gun laws, like identifying prohibited persons, but it's not an unusual policy for many ranges to have on the books, whether or not they enforce it.  The ranges around me all seem to have it in their rules.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How the fuck do you even possess a factory suppressor without a tax stamp? Form 1 stuff I can see might look iffy but if you have name brand stuff there's no way.
View Quote

it could be stolen I guess

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I once had an RO try to walk up and grab my Sandman....about 3 minutes after I had just dumped 60rds through it.    He won't do that again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Over the past 15 years I have changed a little bit

Are used to carry full size copies years ago then I got cute and started doing the business card size laminated copies

then I started doing just photos on my phone.

now I don't even care, there's one machine gun shoot that requires you to show. But it is known and after you show them a giant stack of paperwork they pretty much know that you're squared away.

But if I go to some other random range I'm probably not gonna bring paperwork. There has never been a legitimate need for my paperwork. And there has never been anyone of any authority that needed it. So I just don't carry it and I'm not worried
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How the fuck do you even possess a factory suppressor without a tax stamp? Form 1 stuff I can see might look iffy but if you have name brand stuff there’s no way.
View Quote

If you bought it online with the gun show loophole.

Duh.

I can't believe I have to tell you these things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a couple smart-asses at a range ask if I had any stamps, but that was just their way of advertising they were more than happy to help separate me from my money in return for fun stuff

"It's really not that complicated, don't worry, we'll help you out with the whole process, it's easy!"  Kinda sorry I never took them up on that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I managed a LGS with a range.
No fucks given for MGs or suppressors. Be safe have fun.

I’m not the MG or Suppressor police and the shop has zero enhanced liability for your possession of it.

I did not assume the gun you brought was illegal and ask for proof of ownership.
You parked your car on our property. Cars require paperwork..I did not assume you stole it and again it’s not my job to check that your registration is up to date.
Same applies to All things NFA.

As a LGS employee I’m not the firearms police in any shape, way or manner.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#49]
So what do they do if it’s a tax free transfer or registration and there isn’t a tax stamp.  What if I don’t need to file a form 2 until close of business?  What am I supposed to show them?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah... it's none of their fucking business. As long as you're not being a idiot on the range.
View Quote

I’ve tested countless MGs and suppressors at my local range while I was building and troubleshooting.  Not only have I never been asked for paperwork, none of the ROs have ever even talked to me besides telling me which lane to go to.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top