Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We had the M9 Phrobis.  We kept them sharp.  The arms room didn't.  We did it individually.
88-96, 01-03
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, Infantry guys carry a bunch of their own personally bought knives. I remember an LT asking me if I had a knife, because he needed to borrow it to cut something real quick. I told him I didn't actually have a knife on me. His reply "You don't have a knife? What kind of Infantryman are you?"

LOL
View Quote
No shit, brother.  What Infantryman doesn't carry a knife?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The two most dangerous things in the world are an unloaded gun and a dull knife...……….
View Quote
The most dangerous thing is a private with either or both.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don’t know about sharpening, but the previous dipshit commander sat with an etching tool and engraved his own serial number on each one. Then he had each added onto the property books by serial number.
View Quote
That's better than locking them in a box and taping it shut.  At least he can issue them and have folks sign for them.

I issue all my folks sharp M-7s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a Filipino transplant in our company during the parachute assault onto Omar Torrijos, Panama.  He was dropped off target.  He used his M9 to clip through fences and find his way back the our RP.  Hardcore little joe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A bayonet should be sharp. Back in basic (1987) in bayonet training we were told to stab into the gut and slash up. Open them up like a fish.
Can't do that with a dull M-7.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I can honestly say that the only time I used my bayonet on guard duty was to pick up trash.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
They probably don't even issue bayonets anymore and if they did they aren't meant to be sharp anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The M9 and the USMC bayonet come reasonably sharp from the factory
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's better than locking them in a box and taping it shut.  At least he can issue them and have folks sign for them.

I issue all my folks sharp M-7s.
View Quote
No they were locked and banded in a box too. Had to cut the damn bands off to inventory since they were on the books by serial #...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck, I inventoried my units bayos a couple weeks ago but couldn't tell you if they are sharp.

I own around 12 misc USGI bayos right now and they are in a box 6" from me I couldn't tell you if any of them are sharp.

eta:  I probably own, all together, around 30 bayos and I couldn't tell you if any of them are sharp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's with the buck and a quarter bayonet.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq243u7ZuC1qm6sfao1_500.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know how I know you never had Bayonet Training ?

Slash, Perry, and Butt Stroke are essential.
That's with the buck and a quarter bayonet.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq243u7ZuC1qm6sfao1_500.gif
LOLOLOLOL that was the first thing I thought of what I read slash and perry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
mine came from ctd or spg many years ago.  was dull as shit.  guess i fucked up - i took it to a knife shop and got it sharpened - so sharp it cut through the packaging and almost fell out on the way home from the knife shop.

oh well i can drag it down the driveway a few times and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No shit, brother.  What Infantryman doesn't carry a knife?
View Quote
I was a tanker so no bayonet.  But I had a Gerber Mark 2 taped to my left TA50 suspender (hilt down) and a Gerber Mark 1 boot knife on my right boot.  Both were insanely sharp with chisel points.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If they ditched bayonet training, the IPAC kids who are busy not fixing my pay wouldn't have anything to talk about
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A guy I work with had a son in one of the desert war zones. The son told me a couple guys in his unit carried modern tomahawks. There is a bottle opener, nail puller, backside is a hammer and of course the blade can be used as a melee weapon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Things must of changed since you were in and between when I was. We never took those things to the field with us.
View Quote
I'm sure a lot changed. We had A2s, PRC-77 radios, LCE, ALICE packs. I remember when our unit got a GPS. It was huge. The Company Commander had to sign for it. A soldier carried it around in it's own ruck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#19]
War Monger: "We can save money by just shipping these bayonets unsharpened"

War Monger's Assistant: "Yeah the units blacksmith can sharpen them after he's done making horse shoes"

Investor: "What if they stop using horses?"
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don’t know about sharpening, but the previous dipshit commander sat with an etching tool and engraved his own serial number on each one. Then he had each added onto the property books by serial number.
View Quote
What a lunatic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#21]
My son has been in the army now about 10 years ( infantryman ) and has never been issued a bayonet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think one issue with a sharpened bayonet, is the tip is far more likely to break off. Now your bayonet isn't pointy anymore....
View Quote
The average soldier thinks a bayonet is a prying tool.  At least 1/3 of the bayonets (M7) in my arms room had broken tips and the ratio increased every time they were issued.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No doubt.  However, I try to study the old pre Korea stuff. The old bayonets were not designed for slashing, at least from the reference material I have read.
View Quote
I don't think CW bayonets were for slashing but I have a WW1 manual that shows slash, parry, thrust, repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I would think bayonets would be best used for crowd control and guarding prisoners or war these days. My only experience was using M1 Garands and bayonets mounted back in ROTC during color details and parades.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This.

Its supposed to punch a ragged hole that bleeds out the victim, not fillet a fucking flounder.
View Quote
The M7 bayonets have subtle vertical ridges that I refer to as "gizzard grabbers".
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Did the Bayonet Assault Course at Fort Knox back in 2003, and then we did a hundred thousand military presses with the rifles before stabbing a bunch of tires mounted on poles for an hour.

"WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW, MOTHERFUCKERS?"

"BLOOD, BLOOD, BRIGHT RED BLOOD, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"

"GO!!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

*STAB, STAB, STABBITY-STAB-STAB*

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For most of military history bayonets were issued with dull blades.

Exceptions were when certain soldiers decided for whatever reason to sharpen them.

As for the bayonet being obsolete line, well. One of my favorite jokes.

"You must know you have a bad gun when it has a knife on the end." [I'm particularly imagining commie weapons which attached folding bayonets]

"Here's a rifle that can kill a man at 200 yards, but just in case that doesn't work, ere is a little kniofe on the end to stab em with."
View Quote
Bayonets got a fair bit of use as I recall, during the Korean War, when Garand-wielding troops either ran out of ammo, or got overrun by wave attacks while reloading.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe the Russians did not either? I have a couple of laminated Russkie skss here with bayonets that were never sharpened
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#30]
In the Gulf War I sharpened mine daily. All of that killing I did with it tended to dull it. Those burlap dummies never had shit on me.

Actually I did sharpen it all the time because cleaning my weapons and putting an edge on it was relaxing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bayonets aren’t needed.
View Quote
They're handy if you're taking a dump and there's nothing around to lean your rifle against.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bayonets were not supposed to be sharp.

Stabby stabby.  Not slashy slashy.
View Quote
Get both. You really want both.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Our reserve unit never issued out bayonets. Our unit was deployed to Iraq in 2004-2005, and 2006-2007. I was there the first deployment ETSd before the second, not even sure Supply even had bayonets in inventory.
View Quote
Bayonets are Table of Organization & assigned Equipment (TO&E). Pig stickers are organic to the Rifle, like the cleaning kit and 7 30 round magazines, and black nylon silent sling. The difference is that they are coded as "Durable" and "High Dollar Item". I'd put up a crispy Hundo they're on your Commander's Hand Receipt, the Supply Sarge is signed for them and they're in a footlocker in the Arms Room or some Supply Annex.

Other than support Commanders with weird hardon's for gear, they not really issued. It's a spendy "controlled" item that ran $100-$150 each in FEDLOG 10 years ago. If lost and found negligent, a Private forks over most of his drill check for loosing it, and with 100 or so chances of that happening, most Commands avoid that landmine.

ETA- While I carried an M16A1 in Basic/AIT, we did bayonet training with A1 Rubber Ducks and an M7 IIRC. My first duty station we had M16A2's and M9 Bayo's. I can't recall seeing any others, just the M9 Phobis style, and it's regarded as a clunky POS. I carried a KBar on my right hip off my LBE belt, and always had a pocket knife of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:. The M7 bayonets have subtle vertical ridges that I refer to as "gizzard grabbers".
View Quote
That's the M9.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Bayonets are supposed to be dull.  A knife edge could get stuck in the ribcage on the way out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bayonets are supposed to be dull.  A knife edge could get stuck in the ribcage on the way out.
View Quote
Man, would everyone stop saying that!!!???

Hey, found this at Global Security.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-25-150/ch7.htm
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's the M9.
View Quote
They both have them, cool.

I'm talking about the vertical ridges that run all the way down the blade.  They can be seen more clearly towards the heel at the radius in this pic:

And down the full blade on the pics in this post:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Help_please_from_the_Retro_heads/123-524304/
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Gain access to any squared away combat deployable units armory first. Proceed to inquire with the armorer about the bayonet supply. In short order you should have a shiny new "sharp" bayonet.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A dull or damaged blade actually causes more damage as it leaves a ragged wound. A sharp blade leaves a cut so smooth it is easily stitched up with little scarring. I want my bayonet blade to have a damaged edge and just sharp enough to cut.
View Quote
You want to be able to slash too, and use the bayonet as a knife if need be,  Sharpen that shit.

If you get stuck, shoot it loose.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bayonets got a fair bit of use as I recall, during the Korean War, when Garand-wielding troops either ran out of ammo, or got overrun by wave attacks while reloading.
View Quote
They got a fair bit of use in Vietnam, as well.

In Iraq, too.

This is interesting!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"KILL KILL KILL WITH COLD BLUE STEEL"

"THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF BAYONET FIGHTERS, WHAT ARE THEY?"

"THE QUICK AND THE DEAD DRILL SERGEANT"

View Quote
"WHICH ONE ARE YOU, SOLDIER?"

"THE QUICKLY DEAD, SARGENT!"
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Civil War is a war where alot of people have this perception, that guys used bayonets all the time on charges. Shelby Foote, noted Civil War historian, says that bayonet charges even in the Civil war were very rare. And that was with muzzle loaders that were the standard issue.
View Quote
As terrible as bayonets may seem, few in the Civil War ever died from bayonet wounds received in combat. Gen. John Gordon wrote: "The bristling points and the glitter of bayonets were fearful to look upon as they were leveled in front of a charging line, but they were rarely reddened with blood."

During the ten months of Grant's overland campaign, from the Wilderness to Sayler's Creek, only some fifty bayonet wounds were treated surgically at Union army hospitals. In his Regimental Losses, Fox claims that of 250,000 Union wounded treated in hospitals, only 922 (.4 of 1%) were victims of cavalry sabers or bayonets.
Most Civil War soldiers recognized the practical ineffectiveness of the bayonet. In hand-to-hand combat they preferred to use knives or wield their muskets as clubs. For most of the war, both Yanks and Rebs chose to use their bayonets as entrenching tools, tent pegs, candle holders, roasting spits, or can openers.
http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/articles/means/cold_steele.htm
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#44]
OIF 08-09 and no one was issued a bayo.  Never saw them in the arms room either.

They did issue us a sweet auto blade Gerber though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#46]
We mostly use them for ceremonial duties, but they're great for keeping Japanese tourists off the grass at the royal palaces.

The AK5 doesn't come with a bayonet mount, so we use an adapter that allows for mounting the G3 bayonet.

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Only bayonets I have ever had were not what I would call sharp
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 2007 2009 2008 at basic training we did a day of bayonet training with our actual rifles and real bayonets.  It felt like more of a smoke session than anything.
I do remember how dull the blades were.

and, “WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW?”
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fire a couple rounds. That shit will come out.

Keep your blades sharp.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top