Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/18/2019 6:24:30 PM EDT
I was talking to someone today and was told that they are not allowed to have sharpened bayonets anymore.  I have a Vietnam era M7 bayonet for my AR15 and it's razor sharp.  Any truth to this?

As an added bonus to this thread, I just bought a M6 Bayonet for my M1A. It's new old stock, still sealed in it's original packing dated 1968. I'll post picks and see if it arrives dull or sharpened.
Bayonet arrived today, made by Imperial and...it's SHARP!

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There were probably too many dipshits cutting themselves.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about that, but they're probably forbidden from sharpening them themselves.  You just KNOW some jackass will try to use a grinder of something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was talking to someone today and was told that they are not allowed to have sharpened bayonets anymore.  I have a Vietnam era M7 bayonet for my AR15 and it's razor sharp.  Any truth to this?
View Quote
Been this way forever.  A guy in my team cut the shit out of himself once because the guy issued his bayonet before him sharpened it and it caught him off guard.  We were gearing up for a parade in '02.  That's the only time we ever drew our bayonets from the arms room-to mount them to our M4s for ceremonies like Division Review and Change of Command
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Our reserve unit never issued out bayonets. Our unit was deployed to Iraq in 2004-2005, and 2006-2007. I was there the first deployment ETSd before the second, not even sure Supply even had bayonets in inventory.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
They have been that way for a long time. I served in Vietnam and the bayonets we were issued weren’t sharpened; that is why they issued us K-Bars too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ours weren't razor sharp but they weren't dull either. Felt like they were sharpened on a coarse grit belt sander.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Those could hurt someone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Last month I ran across a thread on this in one of the knife forums I visit. The consensus was that a bayonet isn't supposed to be sharp because it's a stabbing weapon and you don't want a sharp blade to cut into and then get stuck between two ribs. There were stories of guys who said they sharped theirs and had them replaced and told not to do it again.

Who knows if this is the reason.

ETA FWIW I have 3 bayonets, 1 is Polish, 1 is Bulgarian and 1 is Russian. They are all dull AF. The Polish and the Russian bayos are brand new never issued.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, I guess he was right. Doesn't make any sense, best weapons in the world but a sharp knife is too dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
A dull or damaged blade actually causes more damage as it leaves a ragged wound. A sharp blade leaves a cut so smooth it is easily stitched up with little scarring. I want my bayonet blade to have a damaged edge and just sharp enough to cut.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I always figured they were multi purpose, use as bayonet and as knife around camp or something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Could be like swords were back in the day.  Issued dull and only sharpened in preparation for war.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The two most dangerous things in the world are an unloaded gun and a dull knife...……….
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Only time I used a bayonet or even had one was basic training.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
All I know was that the squad I was in during basic training are probably part of the reason.
On bayonet training day, we were on the opposite corner of the field from the drill sgt giving instructions. We paired off, made two opposing lines, and fixed bayonets. Right at the end of the training, a drill sgt finally noticed that we all had the scabbards lying in a pile with exposed blades. After a  brief period of horror and shouting from the DS, we realized that the rest of the company was sparring with scabbards on. DS remembers that he had told us that if everyone in a group is wrong in the same way, that  none of us were wrong.

I will never forget how big his eyes got when he saw 10 or 12 privates swinging live bayonets at each other, but we all had eyepro and full canteens, so not sure what he was worried about...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Bayonets aren’t needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
bayonets are obsolete

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#20]
We always took our bayonets to the field, and they were very sharp. I have a half-moon scar on my left pointer finger that proves it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Bayos don't need to be sharp.  That said, thats the kind of thing that is at commander discretion.  I am unaware of any AR that says I can't sharpen my bayonet...if I where ever issued one, ours stayed buried in the connex.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought one of those European surplus M1 carbine bayonets before Christmas.  Sliced my finger absentmindedly wiping dust off the spine.   Sharp as a razor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine is sharp as fuck because all my knives are and it didn't take much to get it there. However, leaving it unsharpened sounds like a better idea.

Start a thread on how to dull a bayonet
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
For most of military history bayonets were issued with dull blades.

Exceptions were when certain soldiers decided for whatever reason to sharpen them.

As for the bayonet being obsolete line, well. One of my favorite jokes.

"You must know you have a bad gun when it has a knife on the end." [I'm particularly imagining commie weapons which attached folding bayonets]

"Here's a rifle that can kill a man at 200 yards, but just in case that doesn't work, ere is a little kniofe on the end to stab em with."
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bayonets are obsolete

View Quote
From one who never needed one?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From one who never needed one?
View Quote
Army isn’t training it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bayonets were not supposed to be sharp.

Stabby stabby.  Not slashy slashy.
View Quote
That's what I always though. It doesn't need to be "sharp", just real pointy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Army isn't training it anymore.
View Quote
Army hasn't trained bayonets in about 10 years.

I did bayo in basic 2008, I want to say 2009 they stopped
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#30]
All those commandos out there that want a bayonet would only open MREs and carve dicks into trees with it, that is if they even knew how to sharpen a knife to begin with. The only benifit I see a bayonet being in today's deployment rotations is defending against angery feral pigs in a training environment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#31]
My unit was finally issued our long awaited pig stickers...

A week later they got Revoked, because a black guy and a white guy got in a knife fight in the back of a deuce-n-a-half....over an orange water cooler.

That was pretty typical of the Army experience.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We always took our bayonets to the field, and they were very sharp. I have a half-moon scar on my left pointer finger that proves it.
View Quote
Things must of changed since you were in and between when I was. We never took those things to the field with us.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#33]
lol what.

Only retards sharpen the bayo.

And sharp knifes get stuck in the ribs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
The Civil War is a war where alot of people have this perception, that guys used bayonets all the time on charges. Shelby Foote, noted Civil War historian, says that bayonet charges even in the Civil war were very rare. And that was with muzzle loaders that were the standard issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All those commandos out there that want a bayonet would only open MREs and carve dicks into trees with it, that is if they even knew how to sharpen a knife to begin with. The only benifit I see a bayonet being in today's deployment rotations is defending against angery feral pigs in a training environment.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never taken the bayonets out of our arms room, but I have inventoried them.

Both the M7s and M9s we have are sharp.  You couldn't shave with them, but they are definitely sharp enough to cut through skin.  Every single one looked new and unissued, most even had the manufacturer's oil or grease still on the blade.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#37]
We had them and know how to use them as well. As for the army who knows. One of our levels of force on guard duty was to affix said bayonet.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Being a tanker, I never even saw a bayonet .
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#39]
They are very good at herding the huddle masses onto the cattle cars to send them to re education camps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Being a tanker, I never even saw a bayonet .
View Quote
They didn't attach a claymore sword to the end of your cannon?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Every time I was issued a shoulder weapon I was issued a bayonet; including shotguns while on guard duty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
you don't have a shower bayonet?

It's your funeral...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are very good at herding the huddle masses onto the cattle cars to send them to re education camps.
View Quote
I know you're saying that in jest, but fixed bayonets tends to work very well at crowd control.  People tend to calm down when they see a mass of soldiers with stabby things advancing towards them in unison at the half-step.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334661/games_jpg-882580.JPG
View Quote
Let me guess, you're drawing dick pics in the dirt with them? Twirling them around and throwing them at trees in boredom?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I own an m7 and 1905 that are and came that way, an M9 that’s so so and a M5a1 that is dull as all hell. I think it’s just not a priority.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let me guess, you're drawing dick pics in the dirt with them? Twirling them around and throwing them at trees in boredom?
View Quote
Just a guess, you weren't a grunt, were you?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's your funeral...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral...
Shower buddy was more important!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure I was, that's why I know all about the dick pics lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Infantry guys carry a bunch of their own personally bought knives. I remember an LT asking me if I had a knife, because he needed to borrow it to cut something real quick. I told him I didn't actually have a knife on me. His reply "You don't have a knife? What kind of Infantryman are you?"

LOL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top