Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2018 2:54:56 PM EDT
Our kids 2/4 grade are in Connections Academy, but there are things I don't like about it. I stumbled upon Acellus, but it's extremely expensive, so I applied for a scholarship for them, and they were accepted. Anyone have any experience with this program? It looks good.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedave1164] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thedave1164:
Am I missing something?

Looks like $99 a year per student, if that is all it is, that is pretty cheap for a structured curriculum

Ok, you are looking at Acellus Academy, not a fan of those type of programs due to the cost, $2400 a year is about avg for that from what I have seen.

A lot of private schools are $4K plus

Personally I would look at their homeschool curriculum and go that route, but you got scholarships so maybe it is cost effective for you.

If you are worried about HS Diploma and being accepted into colleges, it doesn’t matter much any more, keep basic records, standardized testing periodically and ACT/SAT scores will take care of that.
View Quote
Yes, Acellus Academy.

Thanks for the input. Leaning towards it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
We used it before they greatly increased prices (and then dropped them again). It was good for what it was, but ultimately my oldest isn't really a great fit for daily classwork like that. She tended to do a week of solid work and knock out half a semester's worth of lessons, then drift off to other interests - for that way of doing things, Kahn Academy is more than sufficient.

Another reason we quit was that there was a rumor at one point that Acellus had reported some students to the state who hadn't made significant progress in their classes. I never followed up to see if it was really something that happened, but it was the just one more thing for us that pushed us away from it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a time consuming supplemental program.

Consider it basically dry and somewhat boring videos on topics, reading and checking for comprehension, and simple games

To make it work, I'd dedicate about 45-120 mins a day. Not the most efficient method, but covers a lot of ground most curriculums wont
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife and kids tell me their videos have gotten much better over the past few months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top