Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2021 1:13:08 PM EDT
I've been debating in getting the gas 16"  

I wanted to get wood fired version, but lots of people claim you can't taste the wood flavor at 950 degrees.  

What oven did you get, and can you taste the smoke in the wood fired oven?
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Karu 12 and use wood exclusively.  You absolutely can taste the dif.  950 on the floor is too hot unless you like burnt cheese.  No regrets at all with multi-fuel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered this guy because I wasn't sure I wanted to put a lot of money into something that didn't work out for me.

It uses pellets but saw in some utube videos that people made it so it used propane.

So far, it's been working great. Now I just need to get better at making pizza's.

The p oven I went with...

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-HORN-OUTDOORS-Portable-Stainless/dp/B08T9LHKK2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pizza+oven&qid=1628702442&sr=8-3

And this is the propane burner that I use by just slipping it in underneath through a bottom access hole...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071749XB4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes 16 inch gas it's the tits.   A touch of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it works great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Ooni Pro. I love it. We use it year round at least 3 times a month. Once you figure out the dough recipe, its smooth sailing from there.

As far as the multi-fuel capability, I've used pellets once and chunk wood once, and the rest of the time I use gas. It works with pellets and chunk, its just too much work for our normal pizza parties (we have pool parties and let everyone build their own pizza and we fire it.) Most of the time that means 12-20 pizzas. Gas just makes it simpler and more enjoyable for the pizza jockey (that's me.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Ooni Fyra (pellet). I wish I had waited for the gas or hybrid version. It's a pain to keep consistent temps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
16” gas’s is the way to go you can cook whenever you can’t taste the difference lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wanted to get wood fired version, but lots of people claim you can't taste the wood flavor at 950 degrees.  

View Quote

I'm gonna build this.
How to Build Your Own High-Performing Wood-Fired Pizza Oven from Bricks
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny that this tread popped up since I have been seeing ads for these all over Reddit for the past few weeks.

I do love me some pizza.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny that this tread popped up since I have been seeing ads for these all over Reddit for the past few weeks.

I do love me some pizza.
View Quote

An Arfcom thread over the winter made me finally pull the trigger on mine.  I do decent oven pizza with my steel but it takes an hour to preheat and 15-20 minutes between pizzas to recover the heat.  I can preheat the ooni for 20-30 minutes and it only takes the time to build the next pizza to recover.  I have 2 folding tables and a marble stone for stretching on.  I have taken it out to 4 different peoples houses and had pizza parties.  It only takes an hour to cool down then I can pack it back up.  Between the oven and accessories I have almost 700 bucks in it though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

950 degrees is about 450 degrees too hot...
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

950 degrees is about 450 degrees too hot...
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been getting advertisements for these things like crazy. I've never even searched for a pizza maker in my life, or considered one.

now I kinda want.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm gonna build this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHMQ_QQJtbY
View Quote

Been meaning to try that, but I have too much other crap going on.  Let us know if you do.

We have some shops that use wood in their pizza ovens.  You can taste the difference, but it is subtle.  Most of the extra flavor comes from the char, I think.  I was considering trying one of the mutli-fuel Oonis, but I don't know if it is worth the markup for a slight difference in flavor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a Blackstone Pizza Oven off of Facebook Marketplace for $150.00 with a full can. If you can find one it hasn't given me a problem yet and I've had it 2 years. Oven fired meatball sammiches a re damn good also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Friend has the wood fired version.  The pizza was outstanding.

There's a bit of experimenting required to get the crust right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Someday I want to build a "grilling" patio off the side of our back porch.  Just do stamped concrete, a half wall for the outer portion, a built-in bench, and then one side dedicated to grilling and stuff.  I want one of those pizza ovens to go on the grilling part of the patio.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Have the 16" Koda (gas) and highly recommend for simplicity over wood. You can also adjust the oven to the 'super low zone' if you want to do a longer ~4 minute bake for a different style of pizza. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAGmW4SI4PU&ab_channel=SantaBarbaraBaker
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
They look nice.  I've seen a ton of ads for them.  I have a wood/gas Pizza Party oven and I'd suggest getting something that can burn both, but rely solely on gas as it's much easier to control the temperature.

Also, the floor temp is more critical than that of the dome.  Get a good thermal thermometer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a wood fired one.  Il Fornino is the brand.  

Making pizza at 950 degrees is basically making a burnt offering to Mt. Vesuvius.  

I was taught to hold mine at 600 degrees.  The guy who shared that with me has one of the best pizza joints in Rome.  At that temperature I have a pizza done in about sixty seconds.  Some times I have to raise it up to the top of the oven with my peel to keep from burning the crust.  Do not use sugar in the dough you make for a wood-fired oven unless you like burnt crust.  I also use flour instead of corn meal to get the pizza to slide off my wooden peel.  Once the pie is in the oven I use a stainless peel to turn it because a wooden one will catch fire.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#20]
950 is a bit steep.

Buy your self the mid sized Green Mountain Pellet Grill with a pizza oven attachment.

Ours is usually set to 400 but the oven is around 650.

That is hot enough to make a pizza in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm gonna build this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHMQ_QQJtbY
View Quote

Better than an oven or even BBQ but christ he killed the underside of that crust.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I do pizzas in my conventional oven at 550°. A 16" pizza will take about 8-9 minutes. This is a natural gas oven with a custom sized stone that uses up all but an inch on all sides. Works well. Pizzas taste great. Very convenient. Been doing it this way for 25 years.

Question is... what would this oven, or one like it, buy me? I would want to stay natural gas. (Have it stubbed out to a manifold out on the deck.) I'm not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze. Seems like a lot of money.

Hope this fits into OP's question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Better than an oven or even BBQ but christ he killed the underside of that crust.
View Quote

Most people, even owners of pizza shops, usually don't understand the gentle dance done by the cook, between the doneness of the top and bottom of a properly cooked pizza.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Koda 12”.  Get the Koda 16.  Don’t be cheap like me.  But I love mine nonetheless.

I buy my dough from local bakeries, etc.  makes it more convenient and I use it more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have the Karu 12 and use wood exclusively.  You absolutely can taste the dif.  950 on the floor is too hot unless you like burnt cheese.  No regrets at all with multi-fuel.
View Quote

I have the same one.  I use real charcoal (a guy makes it out of hardwood not far from me) to get it up to temp then wood (cherry or oak) when I do the pizzas, keep floor around 750-800 and they come out perfect.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Ooni Fyra, 5 out of 5 stars.  Great to take camping (very portable) or just for at home.  Pizzas cook in about 1.5 minutes and have had great results using 00 Caputo flour.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have the Ooni Fyra, 5 out of 5 stars.  Great to take camping (very portable) or just for at home.  Pizzas cook in about 1.5 minutes and have had great results using 00 Caputo flour.
View Quote

I use the same thing, excellent pizza flour for thin crust.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

00 Caputo is a must.

San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce and you're off to a good start.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do pizzas in my conventional oven at 550. A 16" pizza will take about 8-9 minutes. This is a natural gas oven with a custom sized stone that uses up all but an inch on all sides. Works well. Pizzas taste great. Very convenient. Been doing it this way for 25 years.

Question is... what would this oven, or one like it, buy me? I would want to stay natural gas. (Have it stubbed out to a manifold out on the deck.) I'm not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze. Seems like a lot of money.

Hope this fits into OP's question.
View Quote
This type of oven is for traditional Naples style pizza, and it will cook one in about 90 seconds and the high heat makes the crust do what it is supposed to. The crust is completely different than what you're getting out of your pizza stone in the oven. I've cooked our dough in the oven and it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Pizza is HARD. It’s such a simple food that everything has to be perfect. Every ingredient the best, every technique deliberate.

I’ve had all kinds of good pizza. Ny style, deep dish, napoli, grandma…when it’s good it’s SO good.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#32]
My family bought me a ooni koda 16 for Father’s Day. Ordered it in may. Then it was for my birthday. It arrived today.
We joked that rt is now a Labor Day gift.

I also don’t have propane. Now ordering the natural gas conversion kit and saw this thread
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My family bought me a ooni koda 16 for Father's Day. Ordered it in may. Then it was for my birthday. It arrived today.
We joked that rt is now a Labor Day gift.

I also don't have propane. Now ordering the natural gas conversion kit and saw this thread
View Quote

Set your fist pizza on fire it's good luck or something...
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#34]
any love for the roccbox ?  https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox.      supposedly much better insulated than the oonis.  just hard to find reviews on them as they are not as popular.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#35]
you don't taste the wood in any pizza oven.. its only for heating purposes.

My ooni cooks a pizza in about 2 minutes when warmed up... there will be zero wood flavor.

the flavor comes from the charred crust and using quality home made sauces and dough.

i love my ooni (eta its a pellet ooni)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top