Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 8:25:33 PM EDT
I have been brewing for over 20 years and have never once filtered any of my beers.
But this Christmas my brother-in-law will be here and he loves IPA's (I don't), but I went ahead and I have an Imperial Pale Ale in primary for him right now.
I keg, but this time I thought I'd 'pretty up' the beer and filter it so I bought the Beerbrite filter from NB.
I suppose I should have asked before I bought it, but has anyone here ever tried it or should I just forget the whole filtering thing and let him drink it hazy like normal...
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/beerbrite-beer-clarity-filtration
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn’t filtering beer in the same league as cleaning the smoker before barbecuing????
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't filtering beer in the same league as cleaning the smoker before barbecuing????
View Quote
I clean my smoker before barbecuing - well, the grates at least...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Never. Just cold crash, then maybe gelatin. In extremes (or for wine/mead), Super-Kleer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Deleted. Post could have been misconstrued by the OP and found to be insulting. But my point was why would you?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Deleted. Post could have been misconstrued by the OP and found to be insulting. But my point was why would you?
View Quote
Like I said in the OP, in my 20+ years of homebrewing I never have filtered - the haze doesn't bother me one bit at all.
But my bil is 'one of those' and I just thought I'd clear it up for him - after all it is Christmas and if it makes him happy then it's no skin off my back...
Not to worry - I have thick enough skin that something said in an arfcom forum isn't gonna bother me...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My liver and kidneys filter my beer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I mostly brew dark beers, kinda pointless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have not filtered mine unless you count Irish moss.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have not filtered mine unless you count Irish moss.
View Quote

Same here (up until now).
Irish Moss or Whirlfloc then cold crash is all I have ever done in the past.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Filtering is not that big of a deal, so you have a clear beer whats the big deal? Really whats the big deal?
It's  not hard, so why all the hate?

OP cold crash the beer then put it into a keg then from one keg to another with a filter between each keg.Purge with CO2 on every step.

I'm buzzed so if you have any ????? just ask.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didn't see any hate about it posted here. You must have had too many beers.

I don't do it because my beers drop clear on their own.

But if I were to filter, I'd buy a plate filter. The media is cheaper, easier to clean and probably less apt to oxidize your beer than the cartridge type.
View Quote
I went the cheaper route because I don't filter beer for myself I'm just doing it this one time for my brother-in-law, it's the only reason I was asking if anyone had used this BeerBrite thing before.

I'm not a fan of IPA style beers and have never made one before, but I just finished the primary on this one.
OG was 1.074, FG was 1.016 (abv 7.6%) so I guess it's in the proper range for an Imperial Pale Ale.
I just put it in the cooler to cold crash, then I'll try that filter thingy....
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My liver and kidneys filter my beer.
View Quote

Cheers ??!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, the filter showed up so I gave it a try.
When primary finished I cold crashed the primary at 35°F for two days then siphoned to a keg.
Then I hooked this filter between the keg and a second empty keg and using a 5 micron filter I ran the the 5 gallon batch through it.
Then I removed the 5 micron filter, flushed the filter, and re-installed a 1 micron filter and ran the 5 gallons back through it again.

I guess more than anything this was just an experiment for me.
After the cold crash the 5 micron filter really did remove a lot of solids as evidenced on the outside of the filter, and not much was left on the outside of the 1 micron filter after the second run.
I have no idea whether or not this removed the haze (which is what turns off my bil) but I really don't care at this point - but I was actually surprised at how much of the solids were still in suspension after the cold crash.

Beer is in carbonation now and I'll pull a pint in a week or so to see what it looks like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
my brother-in-law will be here and he loves IPA's
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't hate him, but I do hate his choice in beers!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top