User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had multiple 2nd and 3rd Gen diesel dodges. Family has had several also.

I now have a 2012 Ram 3500 crew with the 6.7 and G56 (bought new) and my daily is a 2018 Ram 2500 standard cab 6.7 and 68 auto (bought new). ** Both were deleted with under 1500mi on the odo **

I think the 4th Gens are better all around. As soon as u hop in and close the door you can tell. The interiors are much nicer and spacious. The doors close solid. The plastic seems of much higher, thicker quality material. Everything is bigger drivetrain wise, to meet the demands of higher tow ratings. A 6.7 shares many common parts with a 5.9, I think last I saw it was like 75% parts interchangeability. People continuously mix and match parts on the performance side, think P Pumped 6.7 in a 2nd Gen and so on.

I love me some older dodges, but I wouldn't choose to daily one or work it hard over a newer 6.7 truck.

Ymmv
View Quote

Fanboyism is strong in GD, so we see a lot of the "HURRR FIAAAAAAAAT" crowd who will, without hesitating, excuse away an engine issue in a 2013 vehicle from the brand they like - while talking about a buddy who had a friend who knew a guy who had a transmission issue in the "wrong" brand vehicle in 2002.
BUT, for the people who aren't morons, and aren't delusional, I would like to suggest that the FCA brands best improvements happened during the Sergio Marchionne era.

We got neat things like the hellcat(s), some really neat cars and trucks people wanted, and quality improved across the board.
That's something the longtime Dodge guys and later Ram (after the brands split and both benefitted) say, the quality of the interiors improved dramatically.

Very sad he passed away
I can only wonder what the brand(s) would have done if he were still alive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
We've got a couple of new contenders. (I haven't given up on the hunt yet!)

A 2004 crew cab with ~230k that's soon to have a new transmission (it's at a dealership, transmission will have a warranty)
And a 2006 mega cab with 173k(also automatic trans).

I found out that insurance (aftermarket warranty) can be had even on higher milage trucks, so whatever I end up with I'll probably have some kind of coverage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Mega Cab is hard to beat if you will have anyone over 12 y/o in the back seat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mega Cab is hard to beat if you will have anyone over 12 y/o in the back seat.
View Quote

We've looked at a couple. They are giant compared to the normal crew cab.

Is the towing capacity effected by the big cab?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Turning clearance with a big fifth wheel is affected without an offset hitch.

Minimal weight penalty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go for the 3500.  Lower miles.  No emissions bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
RAM dude RAM.  Dodge don't make trucks anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My experience with 3rd gens:

Injectors will be a problem at some point on any of the 5.9s. Depending on how bad it is, you'll get a hard start or no start with white smoke at idle and the truck will make oil. (replaced mine at 118k)

Plan on front end work between 150k - 200k (ball joints, hubs, steering), I believe it was around 150k on mine

Auto trans will need rebuilt usually before 200k (mile was 130k if I remember correctly)

Dash will crack at any given time, I ordered a replacement dash from LMC

Wiring for locks and windows will have issues, usually its a pinched wire where it passes in to the door, pretty easy fix.

03-05 have tail light circuit board issues that cause a "lamp out" chime/alarm to constantly go off, put dielectric grease on all connections of the new boards to make them last longer

4th gens are much nicer in my opinion and a 2010 wouldn't have a DPF, but I switched to Ford and have had much better luck with the 6.7 powerstroke

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We've looked at a couple. They are giant compared to the normal crew cab.

View Quote

My buddy tows a 40ft 5th wheel triple slide toyhauler with his '07.5 6.7 CTD MegaCab SRW 3500.  Truck/trailer regularly goes up Hwy 58 Tehachapi Pass without any problems.  He's towed the trailer to Mammoth Lakes up Hwy 395 multiple times without any issues.  We've taken this truck to Baja 500 & 1000 numerous times with 5 adults comfortably.

The shortbed does require a sliding hitch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My buddy tows a 40ft 5th wheel triple slide toyhauler with his '07.5 6.7 CTD MegaCab SRW 3500.  Truck/trailer regularly goes up Hwy 58 Tehachapi Pass without any problems.  He's towed the trailer to Mammoth Lakes up Hwy 395 multiple times without any issues.  We've taken this truck to Baja 500 & 1000 numerous times with 5 adults comfortably.

The shortbed does require a sliding hitch.
View Quote

I'm a total noob when it comes to towing stuff, especially 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers.

What is a sliding hitch?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a total noob when it comes to towing stuff, especially 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers.

What is a sliding hitch?
View Quote

With a properly positioned 5th wheel hitch in a short bed you are limited on how sharp you can turn before the corner of the trailer hits the cab of the truck. A sliding hitch allows the pivot point to move back towards the tailgate during/low speed maneuvering so that you can turn sharper.

There are manual & automatic versions of sliding hitches.

The other thing to look out for - make sure you have enough clearance between the truck bed and trailer for worst case conditions if you tow off road at all.

If I were buying a new 5th wheel hitch today I’d get one that fore/aft & side/side tilt and has the mounts below the bed floor so that the bed floor is smooth when the hitch is removed.

And buy a spare tailgate
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!  I'll definitely keep that stuff in mind.

Also, wrt hitches in the bed, how much of a lift on a truck makes a 5th wheel/gooseneck a bad idea.

I'd prefer to get a truck with no lift, but used trucks are what they are.

I think I'm going to check out an 06 mega cab 2500 4x4 with 175k on it today.

There's an 04 quad cab that's interesting as well. It's got 213k on it but the injectors, lift pump (fass) and transmission were replaced ~20k ago, and the transmission has a billet torque converter. It's got all the parts I'm worried about replaced but it's not a mega cab(not a complete deal breaker) and the interior looks a little rougher than I'd prefer.

I hate shopping for vehicles. So many pros and cons to weigh. Lol

ETA:. Anything special to be sure to look at on the 06, or any fine print in an aftermarket "warranty" to watch out for?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-WZ708_0115fi_P_20180115145058.jpg

Fanboyism is strong in GD, so we see a lot of the "HURRR FIAAAAAAAAT" crowd who will, without hesitating, excuse away an engine issue in a 2013 vehicle from the brand they like - while talking about a buddy who had a friend who knew a guy who had a transmission issue in the "wrong" brand vehicle in 2002.
BUT, for the people who aren't morons, and aren't delusional, I would like to suggest that the FCA brands best improvements happened during the Sergio Marchionne era.

We got neat things like the hellcat(s), some really neat cars and trucks people wanted, and quality improved across the board.
That's something the longtime Dodge guys and later Ram (after the brands split and both benefitted) say, the quality of the interiors improved dramatically.

Very sad he passed away
I can only wonder what the brand(s) would have done if he were still alive.
View Quote

I am a big GM guy but I think Chrysler has some really great vehicles and like a lot of their brands.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The mega cab was a no-go.

It was super clean. The only non stock parts on it were the stereo with backup camera and a flip over gooseneck hitch.   Zero oil leaks, no blow-by driveshafts were all good, no rust, interior was clean.

The AC didn't blow cold, the drivers mirror didn't adjust up or down and the windshield had a crack in it.

The asking price was $23,999 and an aftermarket warranty was $2500.  I offered to finance part of it so they could make some money on the financing and then offered them $26k otd.  They offered me $31k. I left the truck with them.  I'm a little disappointed because it was a nice truck but it was out of the budget.

The hunt continues.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The mega cab was a no-go.

It was super clean. The only non stock parts on it were the stereo with backup camera and a flip over gooseneck hitch.   Zero oil leaks, no blow-by driveshafts were all good, no rust, interior was clean.

The AC didn't blow cold, the drivers mirror didn't adjust up or down and the windshield had a crack in it.

The asking price was $23,999 and an aftermarket warranty was $2500.  I offered to finance part of it so they could make some money on the financing and then offered them $26k otd.  They offered me $31k. I left the truck with them.  I'm a little disappointed because it was a nice truck but it was out of the budget.

The hunt continues.....
View Quote

What do you mean they offered you $31K?  The truck + warranty = $26.5K.  They wanted $4.5K for the sales tax, title change and doc fees?  Sales tax should be less than 10% in WA, correct?

Drivers mirror and the windshield are cheap fixes.  A/C could be inexpensive or expensive
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
10.5% sales tax where the lot is.

They just know someone will come along and get excited for it and pay the asking price.

Nada says clean retail price is $19,999.

I wanted to have some money left in the budget for servicing everything, fixing the issues($30 can of refrigerant or tearing the dash apart to replace the evaporator or blend door actuator) and putting on a new lift pump/filter (fass)
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With a properly positioned 5th wheel hitch in a short bed you are limited on how sharp you can turn before the corner of the trailer hits the cab of the truck. A sliding hitch allows the pivot point to move back towards the tailgate during/low speed maneuvering so that you can turn sharper.

There are manual & automatic versions of sliding hitches.

The other thing to look out for - make sure you have enough clearance between the truck bed and trailer for worst case conditions if you tow off road at all.

If I were buying a new 5th wheel hitch today I’d get one that fore/aft & side/side tilt and has the mounts below the bed floor so that the bed floor is smooth when the hitch is removed.

And buy a spare tailgate
View Quote

Can you even tow a fifth wheel with a short bed? I drove semis, the hitch should be mounted slightly in front of the rear axle. Trailer is 8' wide, so 4' on each side of king pin. Short beds are 6' long, so 3' in front of center of bed. You try to take any turn on a city street and the trailer would take out the cab. Are you mounting the hitch way out at the rear of the bed?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can you even tow a fifth wheel with a short bed? I drove semis, the hitch should be mounted slightly in front of the rear axle. Trailer is 8' wide, so 4' on each side of king pin. Short beds are 6' long, so 3' in front of center of bed. You try to take any turn on a city street and the trailer would take out the cab. Are you mounting the hitch way out at the rear of the bed?
View Quote

They do make slider hitches that can be slid to the rear while maneuvering the trailer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got two 07 trucks with manual transmissions on the radar right now.

One has a 5.9. One says it's a 6.7. Was that a thing in 07?

Is the 6.7 something to stay away from in a third gen truck?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got two 07 trucks with manual transmissions on the radar right now.

One has a 5.9. One says it's a 6.7. Was that a thing in 07?

Is the 6.7 something to stay away from in a third gen truck?
View Quote

Believe the 6.7 started in 07.5. It'll also be an emissions engine, I don't remember if the 07 5.9 had the emissions garbage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I know for sure on the 06 that I looked at there was only a cat.

I'd definitely like to avoid EGR and Def, unless the truck is a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I just looked at what I figured was either going to be a deal of a lifetime or the guy mis-priced the truck by $10k in the ad and then again in a message to me on offer up.

'03 Laramie crew cab with 177k miles for $9.5k.  the thing looked great in the pics but it was super rusty, especially for this area. The block was all flaky, exhaust was really bad. The rocker panel under the drivers door had a chunk about 3"x a foot or so missing. Lol
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top