Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
My '08 6.7 Cummins has been the best truck I've ever owned. I now wish it was long bed and had the new club sized cab but we'll be fine for a lot more years
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Weren't you all puffy eyed in the Gladiator thread about how it was too expensive?

You can't have it both ways.

BUT just to add some validity to your opinion post up an inventory of the new vehicles you have owned in the last 20 years, disposition and mileage.

You can find mine up there for a pattern. We'll trust you to be honest.

Edit for spellerizing
View Quote
So ol' Bassgasm wants a new Gladiator but can't afford  said Gladiator so now all Chrysler vehicles are junk? Is that about the size of what's happening here? Didn't I say that was the case for a lot of the Chrysler hate on page one of this thread?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
None of the Big 3 made their own diesels for quite some time I suppose besides the 6.2/6.5 which weren't great and now Ford has hit a home run with the 6.7 Powerstroke.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Weren't you all puffy eyed in the Gladiator thread about how it was too expensive?

BUT just to add some validity to your opinion post up an inventory of the new vehicles you have owned in the last 20 years, disposition and mileage.

Edit for spellerizing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever personally owned a Tacoma with a rusty frame?

You don't have to own something personally to be aware of known weaknesses and issues.
What about all you bitching and crying about how shitty ALL Chrysler products are and all because you had problems with some POS second hand Jeep that you bought. GTFOOH
Let's revisit this post:

Quoted:
Lol the reputation is well earned. Why are ghettos and trailer parks loaded with Dodges? Resale value. Resale value is a good indicator of ???

I've always liked Chrysler styling, owned two myself. They have made strides but they're not shaking their shit tier status just yet.
The fact of the matter is Chrysler products are cheaper than nearly everything they compete against. This is true when they are new, and it's even more true on the used market as FMJshooter points out. Why?

Do you think people sell Chryslers at lower price out of the goodness of their own hearts, or do you think there's something, some differentiating factor, that reduces demand for Chrysler products and therefore reduces the price they will bear on the market?

I do believe FCA is improving. I think their latest vehicles like the 5th gen Ram and the JL/JT are legitimately impressive. But nearly all data in existence points towards Chrysler products having an earned negative reputation.

Edit for spellerizing
I hold two opinions of the Gladiator:

1) It's the single coolest vehicle FCA has made in my lifetime.

2) It's not a good value.

Both can be true of the same time.

I'm not sure what "pattern" you're looking for, but whatever. Here's my vehicle list as someone who started driving around '04:

1992 Chevrolet Astro conversion van. Purchased for $600 at ~165k or so, traded in at 212k.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Purchased at 97k, canned at 110k after cylinder head failure.
2008 Nissan Titan. Purchased at 3k, learned an E-4 couldn't afford 2k+ miles per month at 14 MPG, traded in at 18k.
2009 Honda Civic. Purchased at 7k, totaled at 100k after a guy ran a stop sign.
1994 Mazda Miata. Purchased at 94k, has 101k, still own it.
2014 Mazda3. Purchased brand new, drove it 20k, loved it but needed a truck.
2014 Ford F-150. Purchased at 50k, has 85k, still DD'ing it.

For bonus points, there are two vehicles that I purchased for a family member and spent time driving:
1999 Chevrolet Astro AWD. Purchased at 91k, traded at 160k.
2002 Honda CR-V Purchased at 181k, still own it.

All of these have weird overlap as I've never owned less than 2 vehicles at a time.

My next vehicle is probably going to be another F-150. Not because I think it's some superior vehicle or something, but rather because I think the aluminum body is a great idea in a salt state and I because value efficiency. If neither of these were true, the 5th gen Ram 1500 would be at the top of my list. The 5.7L Hemi is okay, the ZF 8HP is looking like it might be the best transmission in the segment, and Ram has reset the bar for interior refinement and ride quality. I also have a weird curiosity for the 3.0L Duramax Silverado.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what "pattern" you're looking for, but whatever. Here's my vehicle list as someone who started driving around '04:

1992 Chevrolet Astro conversion van. Purchased for $600 at ~165k or so, traded in at 212k.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Purchased at 97k, canned at 110k after cylinder head failure.
2008 Nissan Titan. Purchased at 3k, learned an E-4 couldn't afford 2k+ miles per month at 14 MPG, traded in at 18k.

For bonus points, there are two vehicles that I purchased for a family member and spent time driving:

All of these have weird overlap as I've never owned less than 2 vehicles at a time.

My next vehicle is probably going to be another F-150. Not because I think it's some superior vehicle or something, but rather because I think the aluminum body is a great idea in a salt state and I because value efficiency. If neither of these were true, the 5th gen Ram 1500 would be at the top of my list. The 5.7L Hemi is okay, the ZF 8HP is looking like it might be the best transmission in the segment, and Ram has reset the bar for interior refinement and ride quality. I also have a weird curiosity for the 3.0L Duramax Silverado.
View Quote
Im guessing your cherokee was a 4.0? That is a freak thing for one of those to die early like that. Mine in the 87 comanche is at 230k and runs like a top still. Like most I6 they are pretty diehard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to own something personally to be aware of known weaknesses and issues.
What about all you bitching and crying about how shitty ALL Chrysler products are and all because you had problems with some POS second hand Jeep that you bought. GTFOOH
Let's revisit this post:

Quoted:
Lol the reputation is well earned. Why are ghettos and trailer parks loaded with Dodges? Resale value. Resale value is a good indicator of ???

I've always liked Chrysler styling, owned two myself. They have made strides but they're not shaking their shit tier status just yet.
The fact of the matter is Chrysler products are cheaper than nearly everything they compete against. This is true when they are new, and it's even more true on the used market as FMJshooter points out. Why?

Do you think people sell Chryslers at lower price out of the goodness of their own hearts, or do you think there's something, some differentiating factor, that reduces demand for Chrysler products and therefore reduces the price they will bear on the market?

I do believe FCA is improving. I think their latest vehicles like the 5th gen Ram and the JL/JT are legitimately impressive. But nearly all data in existence points towards Chrysler products having an earned negative reputation.

Edit for spellerizing

I'm not looking for a pattern, I'm looking for some verifiable experience you have with all of these vehicles you routinely expound on as if you are some type of authority.

I see you don't have any, so carry on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So ol' Bassgasm wants a new Gladiator but can't afford  said Gladiator so now all Chrysler vehicles are junk? Is that about the size of what's happening here? Didn't I say that was the case for a lot of the Chrysler hate on page one of this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for spellerizing

I'm saying Chrysler has a reputation for questionable at best quality because Chrysler has a reputation for questionable at best quality. Every quantifiable thing in the industry supports that perception.

Here's a fun one... For roughly the same price I paid for my used F-150, I could have bought a brand new Ram 1500. Being fully aware of that fact, I still chose the Ford because I didn't trust the Ram. Knowing what I know now, a Hemi 8 speed Ram probably would have worked out, but I don't regret my decision.

What someone can "afford" is a debatable concept in today's world. There's also a matter of priorities. I bought way too much house for a single dude because I liked it and I felt it was a good investment. That's where much of my money goes. I also eat out probably 90% of my meals because cooking/cleaning at home or eating sack lunches at work isn't often very appealing. I also have expensive hobbies (what site is this?). If I wanted to change any of those things, I could make vehicles a higher priority and spend more on them.

Also, a huge percentage of new vehicle owners are driving around with 72+ month notes. I'm not willing to do that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A 95 still on the road, be glad you live in Arizona
View Quote
I have a 1931 still on the road.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Dodge is generally what the people around them do because the owners drive like assholes. Anymore I just view it as a safety warning sticker.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not looking for a pattern, I'm looking for some verifiable experience you have with all of these vehicles you routinely expound on as if you are some type of authority.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's revisit this post:

Quoted:

Edit for spellerizing

It's just like the Tacoma frame rust thing. Neither me nor LoBo have owned one, but we both know it's an actual issue that happened. We don't need "verifiable experience" to know it's real.

I spend a shitload of time reading about things happening in the automotive industry. There are ~5 news/blog sites I check on a daily basis, I look at the major annual studies when they come out, and there's other TV/YouTube stuff I'm known to enjoy. I lurk on owner forums seeing what owners are experiencing and what they love or hate about their vehicles. I've read thousands of pages on f150forum, gm-trucks, and ramforum/5thgenrams.

I don't claim to know everything about everything, but I try to keep myself pretty well informed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh.....I have owned 3 brand new dodge trucks.  My current one I bought in 2007. It is a Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 cummins.  I still own because I still love it.

LIBERTY, buy what you want.  My truck rocks.
View Quote
Bro, the best thing about that truck is the motor.
@Lug1
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what sucks?  Cars from the late 70s and 80s.  That's what sucks.

So, no matter how bad anybody thinks X make/model is, just remember.... it could be worse. Much, much, MUCH worse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had 3 Dodges.  One V-10 and 3 diesels.  

Absolute junk.

Front ends were worn out about every 10-12K miles, body fell apart, and the engines broke down frequently.
View Quote
Huh.  Alrighty then.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have an 03 dodge 2500 and can confirm
View Quote
Ball joints
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned 95, '05 and '98 Rams over the years.  Nary a transmission or engine failure.  I've also had pretty good luck with the misc. Jeep, Pontiac, Toyota a 2 Chebbies I've owned.  I guess I'm extremely lucky.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's just like the Tacoma frame rust thing. Neither me nor LoBo have owned one, but we both know it's an actual issue that happened. We don't need "verifiable experience" to know it's real.

I spend a shitload of time reading about things happening in the automotive industry. There are ~5 news/blog sites I check on a daily basis, I look at the major annual studies when they come out, and there's other TV/YouTube stuff I'm known to enjoy. I lurk on owner forums seeing what owners are experiencing and what they love or hate about their vehicles. I've read thousands of pages on f150forum, gm-trucks, and ramforum/5thgenrams.

I don't claim to know everything about everything, but I try to keep myself pretty well informed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's revisit this post:

Quoted:

Edit for spellerizing

Are you telling me you don't see the flaw in regurgitating what you have read on the internet as if it were gospel , while simultaneously ignoring what people who actually use a product are telling you on the same internet? Maybe you don't even realize you do this, but you do and it is annoying as fuck.

Go spend some time over on Gladiator forums, you'll find posts from me eviscerating FCA for letting some shit out of the door like they did/have/continue to do. Why? Because it's fucked up and I have actual first hand experience with it, that qualifies me to. I defend them where it's due, and call their ass out when it is also due. Jeep @JeepCares actually maintains a presence on that forum and offers assistance with the dealer network and satisfying their customers, that is meaningful.

I can tell you gorge on data, that's cool, but when you come plowing into every fucking thread, regurgitating what you read on the internet, not only does it get tiresome, but it also appears to betray an agenda (whether you actually have one or not).

Anybody who tells you Chrysler never made some shit is a bald faced liar, anybody who tells you that FCA is doing so today is either I'll informed or also a bald faced liar. Same applies to Ford and GM.

No, you don't have to own a product to be aware of very well known and specific problems that exist in them. You also don't have to own one to know that those specific problems do not represent an entirety of a product line.

Whatever, I just wanted to know if you had any actual experience with these vehicles and you answered my question.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Lug1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.....I have owned 3 brand new dodge trucks.  My current one I bought in 2007. It is a Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 cummins.  I still own because I still love it.

LIBERTY, buy what you want.  My truck rocks.
@Lug1
The best thing about the truck is it's mine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dodge haters are like atheists.
View Quote
You can replace Dodge with Ford, Chevy or what ever maker and your statement is still spot on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2014 Charger w/ over 62,000 miles on it.  It's about time I get rid of it.  Already had the water pump replaced on it and the back passenger window switch is broken.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you telling me you don't see the flaw in regurgitating what you have read on the internet as if it were gospel , while simultaneously ignoring what people who actually use a product are telling you on the same internet? Maybe you don't even realize you do this, but you do and it is annoying as fuck.

Go spend some time over on Gladiator forums, you'll find posts from me eviscerating FCA for letting some shit out of the door like they did/have/continue to do. Why? Because it's fucked up and I have actual first hand experience with it, that qualifies me to. I defend them where it's due, and call their ass out when it is also due. Jeep @JeepCares actually maintains a presence on that forum and offers assistance with the dealer network and satisfying their customers, that is meaningful.

I can tell you gorge on data, that's cool, but when you come plowing into every fucking thread, regurgitating what you read on the internet, not only does it get tiresome, but it also appears to betray an agenda (whether you actually have one or not).

Anybody who tells you Chrysler never made some shit is a bald faced liar, anybody who tells you that FCA is doing so today is either I'll informed or also a bald faced liar. Same applies to Ford and GM.

No, you don't have to own a product to be aware of very well known and specific problems that exist in them. You also don't have to own one to know that those specific problems do not represent an entirety of a product line.

Whatever, I just wanted to know if you had any actual experience with these vehicles and you answered my question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's revisit this post:

Quoted:

Edit for spellerizing

I rarely speak in absolutes, and I almost always use qualifiers in my speech (see what I did there?). I'm not saying all FCA products are bad. It's a game of statistics and probability.

I've never been robbed/attacked/murdered in a bad neighborhood, but without "any actual experience," I'm aware that there is an elevated risk of those things happening if I spend more time in a bad neighborhood. Alternatively, I know that if I were to restrict myself to living in a really nice gated neighborhood actively monitored by security and law enforcement, I still wouldn't be immune to being robbed/attacked/murdered. Those things still happen.

Crimes and fatalities are reported and tracked relatively well, and much of that data is publicly available. It's really easy for someone to put that information in a spreadsheet, import that into GIS, and make a map that shows where you really do not want to spend time. Mechanical failures in vehicles aren't reported much at all publicly. Manufacturers know what they are doing the most warranty jobs on, but outside of that, the next best bet is survey data. Those surveys can have weird outliers and anomalies, but there are certain trends that are corroborated across surveys.

Just to recap:

Both of these show the Koreans are better than most would guess, they both have Toyota, Lexus, and Audi with above average reliability, they both show Honda/Acura is slipping, and they both show the FCA and JLR brands near the bottom. Are there weird discrepancies? Sure. Why does the VDS have Chevrolet and Buick so far above GMC and Cadillac? Because that's a good question. But in general, there's a lot of supporting correlation.

The next best bet is what's observable in the world around you. I've never owned a GM truck/SUV, but I've seen a shitload of them driving around with burned out DRLs. Does that count as "actual experience" in your book? Or no? Because with or without actually having my name on the title, I think I've seen that happen enough to know it's a pattern.

Next in line is probably what's being discussed by owners. Things are even less scientific, but you can still draw some hypothesis about the severity of the problem depending upon the number of threads on that subject and the number of unique posters reporting the issue. Take the Gen3 Ford Coyote 5.0 oil consumption issue as an example. The F-150 and Mustang forums both have big threads on the subject. I don't know what the actual failure rate is, but I've seen enough to know I wouldn't want to roll the dice on one and that others should be at least warned to do some homework on the issue. Once a fix has been identified and verified, my message will transition from one of caution from all Gen3 Coyotes to those made between 2018-2019 or whatever year they fix it.

Honestly, individual experience might be the least useful because the sample sizes are too small. Both you and I had to replace 4L60s in our GM vehicles, but there's a member here that's a big GM fan that would argue and defend the 4L60. He can cite "actual experience" he's had with those transmissions in GM trucks/SUVs. Is he wrong? Are we wrong?

Which seems more irrational? Looking at all the data available and observing patterns? Or shouting "fake news" at the data because our own individual experiences don't line up perfectly?

For a different perspective, lets look at IIHS's driver fatality data...

"The overall driver death rate for all 2014 and equivalent models during 2012-15 was 30 deaths per million registered vehicle years."

Here are the values they have for crew cab 4x4s:
Tundra- 24
F-150- 24
Silverado- 35
Ram 1500- 55

Insurance data shows Ram drivers die at a significantly higher rate than those in Tundras, F-150s, or Silverados. Why? Are Ram 1500 pickups less safe, or do Ram 1500 drivers engage in more dangerous behaviors at a higher rate than their peers in competing models? Or is it a little of both?

What if we had the same quality of data for mechanical failures? Would you think those were due to design/production failures, or do you think it would be a difference in owner behavior?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
HOLYSHITBALLS
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Serious question, Bassgasm do you think you will ever be satisfied with any vehicle you buy?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL, it has its place, just not on a 4wd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registered in my name since 2000 :
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD (sold 150k)
2005 GMC Yukon (still have it 165k)
2006 Dodge 3500 CTD (sold 230k)
2007 Toyota Rav4 (sold 120k)
2010 Toyota Rav4 (sold 80k)
2013 Hyundai Elantra (still have it 115k)
2013 Hyundai Turbo Veloster (sold 80k)
2015 Toyota Rav4 (still have it 55k)
2016 RAM 2500 6.4L gas (still have it 127k)
2017 Jeep JK (sold 55k)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (still have it 5k)

The only one with any significant problems is the GMC 4L60E shit the bed @135k, which virtually every one does. By significant I mean repairs exceeding $250.

All good vehicles, would buy any of them again. If you can't buy a new vehicle from any manufacturer and keep it in the road, your either an idiot who beats the shit out of a vehicle, or you believe they are maintenance free.

Recalls don't bother me a bit, nobody has more of them than Toyota, Toyota however will not recall their garbage window regulator motors.
There's entirely too much IFS in that list.  
If it doesn't have leaf springs it's junk.

Coil sprung solid front axles are the most maintenance intense front ends there is.  And sometimes they're not even good then.

Bain of the automotive industry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Coil sprung solid front axles are the most maintenance intense front ends there is.  And sometimes they're not even good then.

View Quote
LOL, what kind of maintenance do your coil springs require?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The best thing about the truck is it's mine.
View Quote
Damn.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registered in my name since 2000 :
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD (sold 150k)
2005 GMC Yukon (still have it 165k)
2006 Dodge 3500 CTD (sold 230k)
2007 Toyota Rav4 (sold 120k)
2010 Toyota Rav4 (sold 80k)
2013 Hyundai Elantra (still have it 115k)
2013 Hyundai Turbo Veloster (sold 80k)
2015 Toyota Rav4 (still have it 55k)
2016 RAM 2500 6.4L gas (still have it 127k)
2017 Jeep JK (sold 55k)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (still have it 5k)

The only one with any significant problems is the GMC 4L60E shit the bed @135k, which virtually every one does. By significant I mean repairs exceeding $250.

All good vehicles, would buy any of them again. If you can't buy a new vehicle from any manufacturer and keep it in the road, your either an idiot who beats the shit out of a vehicle, or you believe they are maintenance free.

Recalls don't bother me a bit, nobody has more of them than Toyota, Toyota however will not recall their garbage window regulator motors.
There's entirely too much IFS in that list.  

das right leaf springs and KINGPINS get that ball joint junk outta here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The New Ram 2500's have coil springs all they way around. That part of what makes them so good!

Carli Suspension 2014+ 2500 Coilover Bypass with Rear Cantilever, Barstow Proving Grounds

Carli Suspension Long Arm Unchained System - Black n' Blue Racing Lucerne Valley
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Track bars are the big thing.  Then ball joints, tie rod ends/draglink, pitman arm.

They are constantly wore out.  Junk.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Track bars are the big thing.  Then ball joints, tie rod ends/draglink, pitman arm.

View Quote
You another ARF.com expert huh?

Carli Suspension Unchained System - 3" Long Arm Ram & 4.5" Ford Super Duty
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your leaf spring FE has ball joints, Pitman, Idler arm, drag link and they too are wear items. If you are talking about the track bars and control arms wearing out, maybe so I've never had any wear out, but I have never started with a Jeep with 100k on it then beat the shit out of it.  The only difference is the spring type. The coil spring has no wear items, the leaf springs have two each, plus less articulation and much much much shittier ride. All of that completely discounts the four u bolts and 2 tie bolts that are all failure points.

Leaf springs are in no way superior to coil springs in the durability, ride or articulation departments.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Serious question, Bassgasm do you think you will ever be satisfied with any vehicle you buy?
View Quote
Trick question? There's always room for improvement, and everything is a compromise. Sometimes, you find a sweet spot, and sometimes you don't.

If I had Jay Leno money and parking space, I'd buy a bunch of vehicles (including certain Mopars/Chrysler products) to play with on different occasions. But for day to day life as a regular guy, it's about trying to find the right blend of practicality, fiscal responsibility, fun, and comfort. I think I'm doing it right enough, but I sometimes think about what I could do different.

It's also weird to think about what has worked out well by the numbers versus what I've gotten more interesting experiences out of.

For example, the best vehicle I've ever owned, on paper, was the Civic. In the six years between me driving it off the lot and it being totaled, I didn't need to fix anything. Not even a light bulb. The car was always there for me, and it got me through my GI Bill years on the cheap. But the interior wasn't a nice place to be sitting in traffic or on long trips, and front wheel drive, a 4 cylinder, and an automatic transmission isn't exactly a recipe for fun. Not only was it neither comfortable nor fun, but it didn't have any added capabilities that let me do things with it I couldn't do with any other basic car. Most of my memories with that car are just driving. There are a few good memories mixed in, but it's mostly just boring.

At the other end of the spectrum is probably the Astros. Those vans were, objectively, not very good. Both needed transmissions, both needed rear end work, and both needed a series of minor repairs. Between the repairs and the fuel, they weren't actually all that cheap to operate. But the amount of good memories I have associated with them is crazy. There was lots of camping, tailgating, nights out, moving... things like that. They weren't fun to drive in the traditional sense, but there are fun memories of doing things people wouldn't expect a van to do. There was something endearing about those vans, and I wouldn't have done it differently if I had the opportunity. I loved those turds, and I still miss them.

The F-150 is a good compromise so far. Yes, it's thirsty, and no, it's not fun to drive. But it's good for all the camping, tailgating, and other fun outings kind of stuff, it's been essential for some projects/tasks, it's a decent place to spend time when stuck in traffic, and it's been reliable so far. My biggest problem with it so far is road cancer, but that's largely my fault for buying a lease return from Michigan. I learned my lesson. But I like it enough that I'll probably get a newer, somewhat different version of the same thing, and I'm open to competing brands. I now have an appreciation for why CCSB half tons are so popular. I didn't get it before, but now I do.

Maybe this is a more useful perspective to look at Chrysler products from...

From a math and logic perspective, Chrysler products are usually never the right answer, and their attempts at basic transportation are among the worst vehicles they've ever built. Sebring, 200, Caliber, and Dart? Gross.

But if you're going to throw math and logic out the window, say "fuck it," and buy something fun/different like a Wrangler, Power Wagon, or Challenger, that could be worth it if you actually use it in a way to get value out of it. Chrysler is better at the irrational stuff in a weird sort of way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Trick question? There's always room for improvement, and everything is a compromise. Sometimes, you find a sweet spot, and sometimes you don't.

If I had Jay Leno money and parking space, I'd buy a bunch of vehicles (including certain Mopars/Chrysler products) to play with on different occasions. But for day to day life as a regular guy, it's about trying to find the right blend of practicality, fiscal responsibility, fun, and comfort. I think I'm doing it right enough, but I sometimes think about what I could do different.

It's also weird to think about what has worked out well by the numbers versus what I've gotten more interesting experiences out of.

For example, the best vehicle I've ever owned, on paper, was the Civic. In the six years between me driving it off the lot and it being totaled, I didn't need to fix anything. Not even a light bulb. The car was always there for me, and it got me through my GI Bill years on the cheap. But the interior wasn't a nice place to be sitting in traffic or on long trips, and front wheel drive, a 4 cylinder, and an automatic transmission isn't exactly a recipe for fun. Not only was it neither comfortable nor fun, but it didn't have any added capabilities that let me do things with it I couldn't do with any other basic car. Most of my memories with that car are just driving. There are a few good memories mixed in, but it's mostly just boring.

At the other end of the spectrum is probably the Astros. Those vans were, objectively, not very good. Both needed transmissions, both needed rear end work, and both needed a series of minor repairs. Between the repairs and the fuel, they weren't actually all that cheap to operate. But the amount of good memories I have associated with them is crazy. There was lots of camping, tailgating, nights out, moving... things like that. They weren't fun to drive in the traditional sense, but there are fun memories of doing things people wouldn't expect a van to do. There was something endearing about those vans, and I wouldn't have done it differently if I had the opportunity. I loved those turds, and I still miss them.

The F-150 is a good compromise so far. Yes, it's thirsty, and no, it's not fun to drive. But it's good for all the camping, tailgating, and other fun outings kind of stuff, it's been essential for some projects/tasks, it's a decent place to spend time when stuck in traffic, and it's been reliable so far. My biggest problem with it so far is road cancer, but that's largely my fault for buying a lease return from Michigan. I learned my lesson. But I like it enough that I'll probably get a newer, somewhat different version of the same thing, and I'm open to competing brands. I now have an appreciation for why CCSB half tons are so popular. I didn't get it before, but now I do.

From a math and logic perspective, Chrysler products are usually never the right answer, and their attempts at basic transportation are among the worst vehicles they've ever built. Sebring, 200, Caliber, and Dart? Gross.

But if you're going to throw math and logic out the window, say "fuck it," and buy something fun/different like a Wrangler, Power Wagon, or Challenger, that could be worth it if you actually use it in a way to get value out of it. Chrysler is better at the irrational stuff in a weird sort of way.
View Quote
The most fun vehicle I've owned to date was the 1st gen Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. It was a Steel blue 2008 model year. That thing was just flat out fun to drive! Stupid fast! It would literally kick its own ass out of the hole and slam your head back against the seat and keep it there when you mashed the loud pedal from a dead stop! It was all wheel drive so it would work reasonable well in the snow (meaning you could get by, as it was still very high performance oriented). And it had four doors so you can go down to the shopping center in it and haul stuff and whatever. I liked it better than my ram SRT-10 honestly. My only picks about it was it was a little crude in two ways.

Firstly It didn't had much if any sound deadening insulation in it. For whatever reason Chrysler cheeped out there. So it was a little loud road noise wise. And so you would hear the tires whining on the road. And it was full time all wheel drive and the drivetrain was a little noisy also. Particularly the Dana 44 rear end would whine on decelerations as you drove. There wasn't anything wrong with it. It was just sorta a hotrod of a vehicle and those where part of it's characteristics. I always meant to take the carpet out of it and put dynamat in it. That would have fixed a lot of the cabin noise issues.

Secondly. It had staggered tires on it front to rear. So you could only rotate the tires side to side and not front to rear. And it was set up to be a hotrod from factory so it had aggressive alignment settings. So tires lasted about 15- 20K miles and the was it! (I pretty sure Chrysler fixed that on the second gen and they keep the same size tires at all four corners).

Third. It got 13 MPG. And Thats it. Ram Srt was the same. I immediately knew when the switch to ethanol fuel in my area happened because my milage immediately dropped from 15 mpg ave. to 12-13 ave. in the SRT Ram.

But other then that the Jeep was fun fun fun! It was such a sleeper and you could fuck with people so bad with that thing! If you could live with what I just described to you I might suggest if you could find a clean low milage 1st gen. for around 20 thousand dollars. Or maybe an early Gen 2 with low milage in mid 20's price range. Not sure what the used market really is on them right now. As I do think the second gen are much improved with the issues I described. Or maybe you could consider an SRT Durango. There is just so much bang for the buck with the SRT SUV's! And again they are just uber fun! I would look for low milage cream puffs of either of those..

My current SRT is a 2009 srt8 Challenger with a kennel bell supercharger. Makes 600 hp at the wheels. Thats about 30 short of a new hellcat. That car has been flawless. Its as tight as a drum! No squeaks no rattles. It rides as smooth as glass. And its bullet proof. I've beat the shit outta that one pulling Brodies and power shifting it and just all around abuse it. And not so much as a whimper. I Love that Car! And it has LONG LEGS out on the interstate.  It will outrun about damn near anything on a long straight section of interstate highway and 170 mph is no problem! The first gen Jeep was about a 155 MPH vehicle.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
seems like there were some bad cylinder head castings used on the 00-01 4.0's that sucks because usually the motor is pretty bulletproof.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Move
Over
People
Are
Racing
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LOL. I always wanted an AMG Hammer when I was in high school. Now I've finally got one, with navigation, lane departure, cruise pacing, and blind spot warnings. It can spin tires in three gears, seat five, and has room for 2 or 3 bodies in the trunk. Haters gonna hate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88366/20180701_183855__3_-1129276.jpg
View Quote
that is awesome but I don't think I like the color on front of the splitter
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thank you. That was the shipping protector. I've since removed it. That pic was from the day I got her.
View Quote
ok sweet . do the chargers come with a manual?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thank you. That was the shipping protector. I've since removed it. That pic was from the day I got her.
View Quote
ok sweet . do the chargers come with a manual? My cousin got one of the GC's with the hellcat motor in it, I wanna ride in it
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Love mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is awesome but I don't think I like the color on front of the splitter
Keeping those shipping protectors on has turned into somewhat of a fad, and Dodge's design crew hates it. So they're changing the color from yellow to some un-cool shade of violet.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30157/srt-design-boss-wants-dodge-challenger-charger-owners-to-take-off-their-splitter-guards
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consumer-reports-tests-show-the-2019-dodge-ram-failed-in-this-major-category/
When someone recommends a heap of junk, I usually avoid their advice in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan of Dodge, but also am not a retard who lives in the past like many here seem too. The Ram has improved the last few years and the reliability charts bear that out.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consumer-reports-tests-show-the-2019-dodge-ram-failed-in-this-major-category/
What Consumer Reports wants new owners to know about the Dodge Ram is its poor reliability rating and lackluster reliability history. The current 2019 Ram is rated with a predicted reliability rating of only two out five.

The NHTSA (National Traffic Highway Safety Administration) has issued more than 10 recalls on the current model. In fact, throughout the Ram’s history, its overall reliability ratings are poor. Trouble spots reported by owners include issues with in-car electronics, power equipment, fuel system, suspension, and exhaust (in some model years).
When someone recommends a heap of junk, I usually avoid their advice in the future.
Consumer Reports gave the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 an overall score of 64 out of 100, which is neither great nor horrible. Compared to other full-size pickups in its class, its overall score ranks second among the competition. Though an overall score of 64 isn’t the best, it beat out other trucks like the 2019 Toyota Tundra, Chevrolet Silverado, and Ford F-250.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nope, but the newer ones have sweet ZF trannys, and mine has paddles on the column. And I'm old - no more manual trannys for me.
View Quote
I agree with this statement. The newer SRTs are starting to make so much power that a manual trans is no longer practical. My kenne bell challenger is a 6 speed manual and it can be a little bit of a hand full! It certainly not for a novice driver any longer. An auto would be more manageable in stop and go traffic in the car's current state of tune...
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Every demographic will have a brand or brands to drive, economics demands it. Dodge is for the poor and stupid
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife's has been a nightmare. Nonstop issues. You have to take a tire off to change the damn battery.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LOL. I always wanted an AMG Hammer when I was in high school. Now I've finally got one, with navigation, lane departure, cruise pacing, and blind spot warnings. It can spin tires in three gears, seat five, and has room for 2 or 3 bodies in the trunk. Haters gonna hate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88366/20180701_183855__3_-1129276.jpg
View Quote
Charger/Challenger 392s are the only FCA vehicles worth buying.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top