Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2022 9:53:29 PM EDT
It was 1982 or 83 when dad brought home our first remote controlled TV. I was 8 or 9. I don’t remember the exact model but I know it was an RCA ColorTrak. I know this because I tracked down the remote which was very simple but distinctive. It’s the one on the right.

Attachment Attached File

The TV was something like this but several inches bigger. Maybe an RCA GJR660T. It was composite plastic with a faux wood grain top and sides. As far as quality, ColorTraks were considered midrange, but it always surprises me how expensive electronics were at that time. Dad probably paid around $498.00 plus tax in 1983 dollars, or about $1,394.01 today.

Attachment Attached File

Now the VCR, I definitely remember. Dad brought it home in 1984. It was a top-loading General Electric 1VCR5002X with a “remote” that was connected by a cable. To fast forward or reverse you had to hold down the buttons. Great VCR that I remember watching Predator and Police Academy on until I wore out the tapes.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t remember what brand tv but it was 1966 because Batman had just come out and all the neighborhood kids were there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember remotes just like that and sitting next to TV to adjust knobs.  We had a B&W TV somewhere in there color was a big upgrade
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Dad bought mom our first color TV in 68 so she could watch Peggy Fleming in color at the Olympics.

Us kids were the remote.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My mom still have our first VCR, a top loader, with a wired remote. The remote is lost now, but the VCR still works.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My Grandfather had one of the first color tv's. If I remember correctly, it had a two button remote for changing the channels up or down and the screen was pretty much various shades of green
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Grandfather had one of the first color tv's. If I remember correctly, it had a two button remote for changing the channels up or down and the screen was pretty much various shades of green
View Quote
I remember the thick glass on some of those old tubes being tinted green.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I was the remote control on our tv...My mom would tap my head, and say hey go change the channel, and i would stand there and rotate the Selec TV box dial until she found what she wanted to watch...

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't recall the brand but the housing looked like it came off the Space 1999 set. It had a zoom button!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
As a child?  My parents didn't get a remote control tv til I moved out & they moved to the big city.  When I was little, they had a big console color tv, and they gave that away to nuns.  In high school we had a little black & white tv, that was the monitor for the Timex Sinclair.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we had remotes but my grandparents had a few manual dial tv's and I remember a vhs with a wired remote.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#12]
First one I recall us having was in about 1979 or 80. It was a box with a bunch of buttons on it with a wire running to the TV.

Something like this.

Before that it was basically this
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
VCRs used to be so expensive that people rented them.  Beta and VHS were available.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
We had a Toshiba with a sweet remote that hid inside a little spring loaded trapdoor on the bottom right of the TV.   Never lost the remote!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Not quite on point but my dad built our TV when I was a kid.  It was a Heathkit color TV and he went for the motorized channel changer option; not a remote but instead of turning the dial to change the channel we pushed a button and the knob turned on its own.

ETA: My dad was in the visual communications business so he always had access to cutting edge stuff and he'd bring it home to play with it.  I remember the first tape recording device he brought home.  He set it on top of the TV; it was as big as a suitcase.  I think he recorded Black Sheep Squadron.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't remember ours at home, but I do remember a few.

Good friends dad bought a new TV with an acoustic remote. It made a loud CLICK when you pressed the buttons. I got a Max Machine remote control toy that had a similar control.

Girlfriends dad bought a VCR with the long wired remote.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was a kid in the 70's, I was my Dad's remote control.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Magnavox 26" with a matching VCR. Of course I remember.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Heathkit IIRC...

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not quite on point but my dad built our TV when I was a kid.  It was a Heathkit color TV and he went for the motorized channel changer option; not a remote but instead of turning the dial to change the channel we pushed a button and the knob turned on its own.

ETA: My dad was in the visual communications business so he always had access to cutting edge stuff and he'd bring it home to play with it.  I remember the first tape recording device he brought home.  He set it on top of the TV; it was as big as a suitcase.  I think he recorded Black Sheep Squadron.
View Quote

yes.  this exactly.   Blacksheep, all the war movies, StarTrek

few years later I experienced the wonders of the Video Cipher II and booby channels
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I was the remote.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember that our first remote control was me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Our first remote controlled color TV was bought 20 years before VCRs became affordable for the average middle class family.
It had AM/FM stereo and a phonograph in a cabinet grade wood console.

The clicker.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Our first remote controlled color TV was bought 20 years before VCRs became affordable for the average middle class family.

The clicker.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The clicker.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74684/remote_jpg-2534547.JPG
View Quote

Our first color TV was a Heathkit console behemoth that my dad built shortly after moving into our first home.

We had just traveled back from overseas after he finished up some gvt contractor work. It was about 1971, after a year of settling into the new home.

The remote had like 4 buttons on it and turned the TV channel dial with an electronic servo.

The ultrasonic frequency always confused our first dog, and he'd tilt his head with a confused look on his pup face.

Back then, it was the "state of art," in tech.

Yep. There was red carpeting, black vinyl couches, white wallpaper, and a lava lamp on the TV console, while we watched the latest news on the war in Vietnam, followed by  "Laugh-in".

That being said, the 60's and 70's were great times, and a part of Americana that were very special (IMHO).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Our first color TV was a Heathkit console behemoth that my dad built shortly after moving into our first home.

We had just traveled back from overseas after he finished up some gvt contractor work. It was about 1971, after a year of settling into the new home.

The remote had like 4 buttons on it and turned the TV channel dial with an electronic servo.

The ultrasonic frequency always confused our first dog, and he'd tilt his head with a confused look on his pup face.

Yep. There was red carpeting, black vinyl couches, white wallpaper, and a lava lamp on the TV console, while we watched the latest news on the war in Vietnam, followed by  "Laugh-in".

That being said, the 60's and 70's were great times, and a part of Americana that were very special (IMHO).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The clicker.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74684/remote_jpg-2534547.JPG

Yes. Great times indeed!
My dad was a huge DIY but not anything electronic.
My folks did a remodel and small addition to our home in 1966 and the new TV was part of that.
I heard a hundred times his complaint about the price of the carpeting my mom just had to have. Imported Italian wall to wall wool. lol
I'm ignorant of the clicker operation but our dogs never seemed to react to it.

ETA: Google says the Zenith Space Command clicker produced ultrasonic tones when aluminum rods were pinged; cats and dogs could react to the tone that humans did not hear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
@grywlf52
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember the first color TV my parents got.  Would have been very late 70's, maybe early 80's.  It was used, came from a hotel, had a radio in it too.  No remote.

Our first VCR was bought by my sister when she started working in HS, which would have been mid-80s.  That was our first remote control.

My parents were not early adopters of technology.  And they were extremely frugal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
My mom still has, and still uses the top loading VCR we had when I was a kid. She lost the wired remote though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@grywlf52
View Quote

But at least it wasn't me that went to one.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top