Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2018 10:20:36 AM EDT
I’ve been nursing an itch to buy another blackpowder rifle.  I have two right now, a modern inline and a flintlock - both have 24” bbls.

This time I want to get a longer barrel.  I’ve narrowed down my choice to a CVA Accura V2 but I’m having a hard time deciding whether to get the 27”, 28” or long 30”

I kind of want to 30” because it seems like on Youtube videos that the muzzle report is really pleasant sounding.  But I’m worried that it might be unwieldy in a tree stand.

Or do you prefer the shorter 24” or 26” bbls on your modern inlines?

I’m looking for increased stability and that nice soft boom that the longer barrel provides.  Do you think it is worth going that long?   Or do you wish modern inlines had even longer barrels?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
a bit off topic, but when I was at my LGS, they had that new Black Powder rifle from SilCo, that comes with a can on it and somehow doesn't require a Form4/Stamp.
Not sure how or why, but that is what I read.

My pops is super into B.P. That's why the thread caught my attention. He goes to a lot of Rendezvous and shoots in a lot of B.P competitions, or at least he used too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a bit off topic, but when I was at my LGS, they had that new Black Powder rifle from SilCo, that comes with a can on it and somehow doesn't require a Form4/Stamp.
Not sure how or why, but that is what I read.

My pops is super into B.P. That's why the thread caught my attention. He goes to a lot of Rendezvous and shoots in a lot of B.P competitions, or at least he used too.
View Quote
The Silencerco Maxim 50 is neat but not being able to store the ram rod on the rifle kind of turned me away from it for hunting purposes.  Plus you have to carry an additional piece to slip down into the can when you load it so the powder or round doesn’t get hung up in the baffles.

But yeah, you can have shipped right to your front door in 42 states.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Musketoons FTMFW!

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My Hawken has a 28" barrel and I haven't found it to be too cumbersome (not that I've used it much). Not having an action to add length probably helps. Not sure how much worse it would get with an extra two inches of barrel as everything seems too long in the willow thickets. If you want it, just go buy it and find out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Might as well go 30 if you have two shorter already. Since it doesn't really have much of an action it probably has a comparable length to a bolt action with a 24-26 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I always found shorter barrels to be an advantage in tree stand hunting. In MO, 'most' of the shots are going to be well within range of a short barrel. The long barrels, 28-30" are a hoot on the firing line.

Glad to hear BP is regaining some popularity. It's a great sport. Rendezvous's are good times. Haven't been for awhile but used to hit every one around the area. Lots of useful knowledge, tools and skills, great food and some fine shooting equipment and excellent shooters. BP cannons!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You specify modern inlines, but I'll add my two cents even though I use a percussion lock.

My gun of choice has a 24 inch barrel. I hunt from a tree stand, and the gun is short enough to maneuver
in the tight space.
With it, I have taken deer every year for more than thirty years. Distances from fifteen to fifty yards
open sights.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found that loading a 30" barrel from a tree stand is a pain in the ass, which is why I bought a 24" Traditions in-line.

For the range and out of a box stand, a 30" barrel is nice, though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Might as well go 30 if you have two shorter already. Since it doesn't really have much of an action it probably has a comparable length to a bolt action with a 24-26 inch barrel.
View Quote
The 30 won out because of your post.  I read elsewhere that a 28 swings about like a Model 700 with a 24" barrel.  So a 30 should swing like one with a 26" barrel.

I can always go back to the 24s if the 30 is too long.

It should look something like this:

CVZ Accura V2 Long Range

It's got a lot of great reviews.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Dragoon.

Just kidding I’ve never shot a muzzle loader, I just like the word dragoon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s trifold operator as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Silencerco Maxim 50 is neat but not being able to store the ram rod on the rifle kind of turned me away from it for hunting purposes.  Plus you have to carry an additional piece to slip down into the can when you load it so the powder or round doesn’t get hung up in the baffles.

But yeah, you can have shipped right to your front door in 42 states.  
View Quote
All that plus not really having a choice of bullets.

And to answer your question, longer to a point. I think both of my Encores have 26" barrels.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer shorter barrels on my hunting muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
41", yo.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
It just made sense to go with the 30 inch barrel.

Now you do know about Blackhorn 209, right? If not, it will make your life easier, and you will never test the nitrided barrel's rust resistance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top