Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll probably just stick with pressure bandages, hemostatic gauze, and tourniquets. Then again if I were single, a permanent friend-zoner, and had a need to white knight I could see keeping some on hand.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a small trauma pack that has a tourniquet and special bandage treated to stop blood loss.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Carried them in the ambulance until the mid nineties when the prevailing wisdom changed.

Had a few in the glovebox for my wife waaaaay back in the day. She had a little zippered pouch in her purse for emergencies, so she never needed one.

In 1991 I specifically remember buying several boxes to send to a friend in Iraq during Desert Storm.

Made an interesting conversation with my GF at the time though:

Her: Why did you buy tampons? WHO ARE THEY FOR?
Me: They're for Pierre in Iraq. He asked me to send them.
Her: Why does he need them?
Me: In case he or a buddy gets shot?
Her: Oh
Also her: Should I make him cookies?
Me: Yes please.

Sent a box of combine pads and tape too.

You've got to be careful when buying them for women. Some advance recon is typically in order. Women tend to be pretty specific about what they use, and that's the last aisle in the store where you want to screw up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is why I'm glad I posted the question.

,snip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

,snip.

You didn’t ask a question, you posted a dumb statement as though it was fact.
Someone may have read it on lunch, never got back to the thread and got some for his kit.
You should go stand in the corner.

Tampons are good for plugging up puncture wounds and the pads make good dressings. Just make sure you get the non-scented type so you’re not injecting the scent chemical into the wound.

Playtex Unscented Tampons, Always Maxi Unscented Pads

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You didn’t ask a question, you posted a dumb statement as though it was fact.
Someone may have read it on lunch, never got back to the thread and got some for his kit.
You should go stand in the corner.
View Quote

I admit I should have indicated that I had copied that from a website.  I never intended it to be taken as gospel.  My thread title was in the form of a question.  Or did you miss that part?

You're right about some people here.  Far too many are knee-jerk reactionary, and don't bother reading a thread.

It was a question.  I've gotten some good answers.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tampons are good for plugging up puncture wounds and the pads make good dressings. Just make sure you get the non-scented type so you’re not injecting the scent chemical into the wound.

View Quote

No. 20+ year Paramedic. I like my Pt's to live. There are better things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The article talks about the pressure applied by gauze packed into the wound overcoming the vascular pressure, stopping or at least slowing the bleeding enough to get to a hospital.

I wondered whether a tampon could achieve that goal (since they expand a certain amount as they fill with blood.)  But structurally, there's simply not enough expansion of the tampon material to do that.

I'm glad I learned that from people here who took the time to educate me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The article talks about the pressure applied by gauze packed into the wound overcoming the vascular pressure, stopping or at least slowing the bleeding enough to get to a hospital.

I wondered whether a tampon could achieve that goal (since they expand a certain amount as they fill with blood.)  But structurally, there's simply not enough expansion of the tampon material to do that.

You’re so full of it. That’s not what happened in this thread.

Anyone can go back and read what you posted and know your FOS with this post.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
no, stop being cheap and get the right IFAK if you want a blowout kit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP probably thinks TQ's are a bad idea to use also.

There's lots of outdated thinking out there. Get some training and purchase some reputable supplies.
View Quote

nah OP is going to use shoelaces and cut up grocery bags for occlusive dressings
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to and I used to repeat this advice back in the 90's but there are so many better options available for packing and treating those injuries today. With that being said I do keep 1 or 2 in my kit but I do special event standbys and get asked for them occasionally by women so they are going to their intended purpose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Seeing as how i'm not a hobo or a freedom fighter in africa in the 70's I can afford to buy real medical equipment for my IFAK and first aid kits.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

nah OP is going to use shoelaces and cut up grocery bags for occlusive dressings
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP probably thinks TQ's are a bad idea to use also.

There's lots of outdated thinking out there. Get some training and purchase some reputable supplies.

MuH BelT! JuSt aS GoOD!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought this was a troll thread.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You wondered?  Your first post was literally telling everybody what's what.  You should probably save the definitive statements for after you transition from "wondering" to "understanding".

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve used a pad for a knife wound. Better than gauze.
View Quote

Pads are different. They are mini trauma dressings, tampons don't anything better than other dressings better suited for that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I invite anyone who's interested to take your hateful challenge and speak honestly about it.

Aside from some sarcastic and/or satirical posts, I never lie about anything here.  Deal with it.  Or don't.  I really don't care.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
No, they're the wrong tool for the job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You wondered?  Your first post was literally telling everybody what's what.  You should probably save the definitive statements for after you transition from "wondering" to "understanding".
View Quote

That's ridiculous.  It proves you either didn't read my third post in this thread, or ignored it to satisfy your ego.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tampons are good for plugging up puncture wounds
View Quote

They're designed to absorb a few ozs of blood. A life threatening bleed is pints.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No, they're the wrong tool for the job.
View Quote

I understand that now, after reading all the helpful and educational comments.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmmmm, a device designed to insert into a bloody hole and swell up and stop the bleeding.

What use could it be in combat wounds.....?

View Quote

This is a great example of how these ridiculous things get started. Shallow thinking leads to the wrong result.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#23]
At least OP has advanced to the 20th century for wound management.  He could be stuck in the 19th and asking about carrying leeches.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]

That's cute.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck no. I’ve got gauze in multiple flavors from 4x4’s to z-folded hemostatic gauze.  

It’s current year.  We don’t need to try and stick tampons into holes that aren’t vaginas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Some people do better with visual aids...

Tampons in a trauma kit?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, but I do have z-folded gauze, combat gauze and CAT tourniquets.
View Quote

This

J-
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some people do better with visual aids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_PPQOrKIc
View Quote

Sorry, but that wasn't better.  I read all the helpful comments in this thread much more quickly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For fuck's sake, just get actual bandages and dressings
View Quote

This for the love of God.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a wife and daughters and granddaughters....
Yes there in the first aid kit.
Not for injuries and wounds I have duct tape and old socks for that....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At least OP has advanced to the 20th century for wound management.  He could be stuck in the 19th and asking about carrying leeches.
View Quote

Do you have tools & tinctures to balance the four humours in your first aid kit?

Also, topical, would one of these masks that we're supposed to wear for covid but according to the box does not protect against covid protect you against miasma?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's ridiculous.  It proves you either didn't read my third post in this thread, or ignored it to satisfy your ego.
View Quote

I read it, and it doesn't change anything.  You kicked it off telling everybody how good they were in that role, then tried to dial it back a little as you got kicked in the face, then went full contrite as you realized just how stupid it was.  It doesnt change the fact that you started with a definitive statement while having no idea what you were talking about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I read it, and it doesn't change anything.  You kicked it off telling everybody how good they were in that role, then tried to dial it back a little as you got kicked in the face, then went full contrite as you realized just how stupid it was.  It doesnt change the fact that you started with a definitive statement while having no idea what you were talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wrote: "You should probably save the definitive statements for after you transition from "wondering" to "understanding".

I did just that by admitting I made a mistake by not clarifying that my original post was simply content pasted from the internet to promote discussion.

I moved from wondering to understanding, and you want to crucify me for it?  Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I moved from wondering to understanding
View Quote

You're right. I guess I should have considered how much you overcame and have grown as a person in the three pages since you made a stupid nonsensical statement, and instead should have focused  on giving you your much deserved attention and congratulations.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I invite anyone who's interested to take your hateful challenge and speak honestly about it.

Aside from some sarcastic and/or satirical posts, I never lie about anything here.  Deal with it.  Or don't.  I really don't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read your own thread. It’s not how you claim it went.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
WRONG, tampax are designed to absorb blood and a good bandage is designed
to clot blood.  Look at at a quality bandage and the weave in them, they make the
bleeding stop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're right. I guess I should have considered how much you overcame and have grown as a person in the three pages since you made a stupid nonsensical statement, and instead should have focused  on giving you your much deserved attention and congratulations.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/flat_1000x1000_075_f_jpg-1784782.JPG
View Quote

A simple witticism would have sufficed.  You jumped on the bus.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I admitted early on that I'd made a mistake by not clarifying my original post.  I followed up by thanking people for helping me to understand why the information I copied from the internet was incorrect. Not once did I defend the idea that a tampon should be used for a GSW, or any puncture wound.  Not once did I argue (after the original post) that tampons should be a part of an IFAK.

I've been here long enough to expect normal GD trash talk. You called me a full-of-shit liar.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#40]

It’s not 2003
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A simple witticism would have sufficed.  You jumped on the bus.
View Quote

A pet peeve of mine is people copy/pasting info from the internet and presenting it as fact, without any sort of personal knowledge or contextual validation.  You did exactly that, then took a bunch of heat for it, rightfully so. I'm not really sure what exactly you are looking for with regard to your subsequent realization that you made a mistake, especially considering the fact that you didn't edit the original post and are instead hoping people read all 3 pages with enough attention devoted to it to develop the complete picture of your transition of thought.

Everybody makes mistakes, so just let it die and sink to the bottom of the internet. De facto demanding that everyone issue you a full internet pardon since you somewhat clarified your intent is kind of weird and obviously not working out well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I admitted early on that I'd made a mistake by not clarifying my original post.  I followed up by thanking people for helping me to understand why the information I copied from the internet was incorrect. Not once did I defend the idea that a tampon should be used for a GSW, or any puncture wound.  Not once did I argue (after the original post) that tampons should be a part of an IFAK.

I've been here long enough to expect normal GD trash talk. You called me a full-of-shit liar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s your OP where you claim to be “wondering”:
Quoted:

Here’s your second post:
Quoted:

Rather sensitive, aren't you?

That’s not a question, it’s not wondering. It’s great you’ve come around to discarding your tampons now, but you’re trying to fib about it. Anyone can see your story about this thread is untrue.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A pet peeve of mine is people copy/pasting info from the internet and presenting it as fact, without any sort of personal knowledge or contextual validation.  You did exactly that, then took a bunch of heat for it, rightfully so. I'm not really sure what exactly you are looking for with regard to your subsequent realization that you made a mistake, especially considering the fact that you didn't edit the original post and are instead hoping people read all 3 pages with enough attention devoted to it to develop the complete picture of your transition of thought.

Everybody makes mistakes, so just let it die and sink to the bottom of the internet. De facto demanding that everyone issue you a full internet pardon since you somewhat clarified your intent is kind of weird and obviously not working out well.
View Quote

Understood.

Serious question:  Would it have been better if I'd just posted the question in thread title, then asked:  "Well, is there?"

The part I highlighted in blue is a pet peeve of mine.  I guess I should know better.

"Die, thread, DIE!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think the consensus has changed form tampons to clotting agents and tourniquets.

Ill Advised Use of Tampons for Gunshot Wounds
View Quote

good article
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Here’s your OP where you claim to be “wondering”:

Here’s your second post:

That’s not a question, it’s not wondering. It’s great you’ve come around to discarding your tampons now, but you’re trying to fib about it. Anyone can see your story about this thread is untrue.

View Quote

Calling someone a troll is not as bad as calling them a liar.

I repeat my challenge:  If anyone here honestly thinks I've been a full-of-shit liar in this thread, tell me why.

I can at least understand why someone would call it a troll thread.  And I guess it was, but only because there is some humor in the idea of a tampon in an IFAK.  I'm learning that lately GD's tolerance for sideways humor is getting pretty low.

I don't like being called a liar.  In fact, I pride myself on my integrity and honesty, and I will defend it.

You might as well call me a thief for plagiarizing the internet and failing to credit the author.  As I've admitted... Guilty of that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#46]
No.

They’re dog shit at plugging anything but bloody vag’s.

Get some actual medical training and make decisions about what should be in your IFAK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#47]
They still might be in my work first aid bag.  They were issued as auxillary blood stoppers.  That has long since been known to be a bad alternative.  Not sure why they didn’t just buy more of the right thing instead of showing of auxillary knowledge.  

Great way to leave foreign matter in a wound when it is time to come out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Understood.

Serious question:  Would it have been better if I'd just posted the question in thread title, then asked:  "Well, is there?"

The part I highlighted in blue is a pet peeve of mine.  I guess I should know better.

"Die, thread, DIE!"
View Quote

At the risk of sounding like an internet-based philosopher, it is always better to ask a question if you don't 100% understand something.  GD would be a much more useful place if people asked more and stated less.  Discussion around genuine questions is much more beneficial than discussion to disprove fallacies, because then emotion and ego are automatically injected into it from the start.  It happens to me, it happens to everyone, it's how the internet works.

There's also nothing wrong with being wrong. Once again, it's a discussion board on the internet.  Everybody is wrong at some point here, and half the discussions are both right and wrong at the same time depending on context and situation.

Feel free to argue any of this with me. It's what we do here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#49]
No, I don’t have a period. I use kerlex and pressure bandages for puncture wounds
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Didn't somebody on youtube run the numbers and came up with tampons being like 3X more expensive than if you just bought the same amount of gauze? it's 2021, how is this still being talked about? I thought this myth died 20 years ago.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top