Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2021 7:30:20 PM EDT
I've used them in the distant past, in a pot roast or stew and I thought they were over powering

I'm not a great fan of the taste

Having said that, watching cooking shows, it's a common ingredient

When eating out, I've never tasted the "bay" flavor although I'm sure it is a part of the dish

Do you cook with bay leaves?

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Use one or two with sauces
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Use them regularly in sauces, gumbos, and the like.  One or two leaves, depending on size, is usually enough.  One of those "A little bit goes a long way" things.  That said, if you leave them out you can tell.  I like them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use them regularly in sauces, gumbos, and the like.  One or two leaves, depending on size, is usually enough.  One of those "A little bit goes a long way" things.  That said, if you leave them out you can tell.  I like them.
View Quote

That's the rub

I don't like them in my dishes, I don't taste them in restaurant dishes

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I use them in darker broth soups and any stew that involves beans, except chili with beans.

So lentil, 9 bean, barley and bean, beef stews or soups, split pea. Chicken noodle, nope, thai soups, nope. etc.

They are like MSG or salt... one bay leaf smooths out the flavor profile and makes things tie together better. Usually I take it out half way through or just before serving. (Never leave it in long enough to get the soup in the fridge.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Weird. I have recipes for stew, borracho beans and split pea soup that calls for bay leaves. I always add a few more leaves then the recipe calls for because it seems like they don't add enough flavor for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Always add when the recipe calls but always take it out before its done .
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
When I make  Chili  I throw in a couple.

My chili has beans
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
When l remember to toss them into a soup or stew l will.  Usually l forget.

As you say,  cooking shows always use them but damned if l can taste any difference.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I cook with them, but they are commonly removed well before serving the dish.  The flavor shouldn't be obvious.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Never use them.  Hell, I can't even recall the flavor profile.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them regularly in stews and tomato based sauces.  Also in picking spice.  Two of them with 1/3 cinnamon stock and a teaspoon of garlic go in my canned venison.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My chili has beans
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Michael Bay leaves. Explosions of flavor
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I use them in some dishes.  Stews, sauce piquant, etc.  Sometimes beans too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe I should give them another go

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I use them in all of my soups and stews.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I use them when a recipe calls for them, I never am able to taste any change they make, they must be pretty subtle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Weird. I have recipes for stew, borracho beans and split pea soup that calls for bay leaves. I always add a few more leaves then the recipe calls for because it seems like they don't add enough flavor for me.
View Quote

That’s the way it seems to me
Maybe the leaves I have are too old.   Pretty old would be my bet.   I can’t say I’ve ever been able to pick out the flavor they put in.

As far as taking them out- well aren’t they still pretty hard and would likely mess up your esophagus, if you tried to swallow one?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My chili has beans
View Quote

Same here.  I also use them in several roast recipes in the crockpot, instant pot, and clay pot cookers.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve got some here but it’s been a long time.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
My mom always used bay leaves so of course that's what I did even though I wasn't convinced they added much of anything and what flavor they did add didn't appeal to me that much. After trying the same dishes without the bay leaves I decided it didn't really make that much difference if at all so I quit using them many years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Baked fish; especially, sea bass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Fresh is where it is at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I find fresh is a lot better and more forgiving in "strength of flavor".  It one of those "A little goes a long way spices/Herbs" much like cloves or sage.  I'm not a big fan of their flavor but I can tell when it's not there.  For me its a background type of flavoring.  It's important but can be overused a wreck a dish for me very easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top