Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2021 5:36:03 PM EDT
Before i get yelled at I a LOVE meat!!!!!! So hear me out.

My family is having our first get together since a year before the Rona.. I'm making dinner.. On the menu is, Im going to dry age a Prime Rib Roast for 60 days and then sous-vide that MFer to perfection sided with grilled asparagus and  baked potatoes (Simple yet awesome). With Au jus made from beef bones and fresh horseradish sauce.

My issue is this

The love interest of my brother is a vegan. Shes converted him to vegan.. Im totally OK with that. hes healthy and happy and more power to them. Thats just not my jam. WHat i dont want to do is make a dope ass meal for the family and leave them out. This is also gonna be my first time meeting this young lady and would like to make a stellar impression.

If any one has any suggestions on a nice Vegan meal im game. My experience level in a kitchen is high and my willingness to work hard in the kitchen for a good first impression also high..

Suggestions? I need some recipies no matter the difficulty level.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I make grilled veggie tacos for my sister and BIL and they are a big hit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Fried oyster mushroom Po boys with a spicy vegan slaw. One of the few vegan dishes I've come to love over the years

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
both sound great.. Recipes?

A lot of bread has egg or milk in it so i need to avoid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife is vegan. Having sampled a lot of her food, it's hard to go wrong with the stuff Gardein puts out.

They have full meal kits (the turkey one is pretty popular for thanksgiving) and cooking ingredients.

A lot of recipes on the site -- there's a link on the main page to a bunch of them that look pretty good.

ETA: These beefless tips and a few mods to your existing menu might let them blend in very well.

I haven't tried the beefless stuff, just the turkey and the burger. Both were pretty good, the turkey was good enough that I'd
believe it was a real bird, just not he best bird I'd ever had. Burger is decent, so maybe the beef will be too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
For veggie tacos I put some thickly sliced red onions and bell peppers in a grill basket on high heat and get a little char on them, then stick the basket on the little shelf inside the grill and let the "grill flavor" from whatever meat I'm cooking for the normal people waft up through it until everything is done because fuck vegans. Then put the grilled veggies in a bowl and fold in some warmed black beans, a dose of sriracha and some lime juice, sprinkle of cumin, salt and pepper. That's the filling. Sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and some warm tortillas on the side. Hot sauce. My BIL always eats like 6 of them. Obviously room to elaborate how ever you wish.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
All vegan...

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fried oyster mushroom Po boys with a spicy vegan slaw. One of the few vegan dishes I've come to love over the years

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20210116_183950-1782489.jpg
View Quote

Aren’t oysters “meat”?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Lentil and rice curry or homemade marinara over pasta are my two fallback vegan meals. I associate with several vegan, and those usually satisfy.

Vegetable stir fry with mushrooms over jasmine rice would be another consideration.

Recently made a millet dish with lots of mushrooms in the instapot my daughter loved. She is not vegan, but does not crave meat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think you can go wrong w/any of Kenji's recipes.  We've done his sweet potato quesadillas, and they are awesome, and changed his mexican street corn salad to vegan friendly, and I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Vegan Recipes
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aren’t oysters “meat”?
View Quote

Well, that depends...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top