Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2021 11:36:45 AM EDT
I was 16 years old in 1974.  My high school designated an outdoor alleyway as a smoking area.  After a month or so it was a reeking hell.  In the past 45 years we've learned just how dangerous smoking is to your health.  Has this changed any school policies toward smoking?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe it’s no smoking anywhere on school grounds now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This should be good.

I graduated from high school in 1975.  The designated smoking area for faculty and students was a parking lot on the west end of campus.  Of course the prevailing breeze comes onshore, so smoke often wafted over the whole school.

Most public schools in California are now 100% smoke-free, including all of the UC campuses as of a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You couldn't smoke on campus back in the early 90s. Of course there are no more smoking areas in school.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
My high school had one my first two years, 78 to 80.

They built a new high school and the new one didn't have a smoking area my Jr and Sr years, 80 to 82.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I am betting you would probably be arrested for smoking in school these days.

Graduated HS in the early 90s. 1st HS I went to had an outdoor courtyard that was the designated student smoking area. Smoking was also allowed in one of the teacher's lounges. If you were on good terms with one of the teachers they would let you in there to smoke when it was shitty outside.

2nd HS had just banned smoking on campus when I got there. They became progressively stricter about it, eventually claiming a 1,500' "tobacco free zone" around campus. I got suspended for violating that. Left school at the end of the day, got in my car (parked across the street), started my car, lit a cig and pulled away. Security saw me and I got called into the office the next day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
when i was in school, the property was no tobacco period. 18 yrs old and had a pack of smokes or can of chew in your car? busted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
When I graduated in the early 2000's it was completely tobacco free. Smoking or dipping wasn't allowed regardless of age. Of course kids still did it on the down low.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This should be good.

I graduated from high school in 1975.  The designated smoking area for faculty and students was a parking lot on the west end of campus.  Of course the prevailing breeze comes onshore, so smoke often wafted over the whole school.

Most public schools in California are now 100% smoke-free, including all of the UC campuses as of a couple of years ago.
View Quote

California is essentially a smoke free zone now. There are entire towns/cities that have outdoor smoking bans. Had a lady call the cops on a coworker and I for taking a smoke break from a jobsite. She threw her patio door open (apartment across the street and 2 stories up) to scream at us that she was calling the police.

We looked at her like this , didn't say a word and went back to the jobsite. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later a sheriff's car slow rolled through the alley the jobsite was on. Bet the cops love taking calls like that.

Weed is perfectly ok of course. Never thought I would see the day where people would fire up a joint to cover the smell of cigarettes and avoid being fined for smoking. Honk honk..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My H.S. had two lunchrooms ,A and B. B was the smoking lunchroom and the school even supplied ashtrays. I graduated in 1980 in upstate NY.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#10]
back in the 80's my high school in spokane had a designated smoking area but you had to be 18......its where we looked for the chicks that put out...if she smoke she pokes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

California is essentially a smoke free zone now. There are entire towns/cities that have outdoor smoking bans. Had a lady call the cops on a coworker and I for taking a smoke break from a jobsite. She threw her patio door open (apartment across the street and 2 stories up) to scream at us that she was calling the police.

We looked at her like this , didn't say a word and went back to the jobsite. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later a sheriff's car slow rolled through the alley the jobsite was on. Bet the cops love taking calls like that.

Weed is perfectly ok of course. Never thought I would see the day where people would fire up a joint to cover the smell of cigarettes and avoid being fined for smoking. Honk honk..
View Quote

Marijuana smoke don't stink like cigarette smoke.  All the harmful additives they put into cigarettes make them repulsive. When I was a kid I was hired to clean out a tobacco barn.  I piled all the stalks and leaves outside and burned them.  The smoke smelled like grass or tree leaves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was 16 years old in 1974.  My high school designated an outdoor alleyway as a smoking area.  After a month or so it was a reeking hell.  In the past 45 years we've learned just how dangerous smoking is to your health.  Has this changed any school policies toward smoking?
View Quote
I started high school in 1982
Fulton High school had a smoking area until January of 1983, right after Christmas break is was gone.
then it was just in the bathroom between classes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
There was an unofficial smoking area just off school grounds that everyone smoked at but no smoking on school property.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Shiiiiit that’s been gone for years.
When I started high school in 93 the smokers could stand directly across the street and puff up.
By my junior year I got detention for being across the street and down the block but the principal watched people with binos from a second story window.
I generally drove by then but for whatever reason was just walking to a buddies house close. All the other people that walked the next day were like yeaaaah ya gotta get past the Whichever store or house it was to be out of sight....
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I graduated in 2009 and we still had a courtyard you could smoke in.

It was mostly for teachers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
In Jr High they were called the boys room
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I graduated HS in ‘89 and my school had a student smoking area. I am certain it is gone now and has been for a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I graduated in 1984 and we had an outdoor lounge.  We had an indoor lounge until 1982.

They finally shut it down in 1988.

I think the state forced them too.

There was no required age for being allowed to smoke.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#19]
College Prep in early 1980s - No smoking allowed within 6 square blocks of campus unless you were the Dean of men.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This should be good.

That’s funny. But at the same time it isn’t.  Whole towns?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised.

Students used to smoke outside when I was in school.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#22]
We did outside the cafeteria, late 80's. Coming to school with your smokes or snuff in the pocket of your t-shirt was normal activiy. I assume now the "School Resource Officer" would put you in handcuffs for either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]
The high school I went to opened in 1990 (I could be off by a year or 2) and had a courtyard for student smoking near the cafeteria, by the time I was a student there smoking was no longer allowed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Tobacco went to 21 as of 12/27/2019.

Beyond the rare faculty lounge (versus being told to walk or drive off-property), there's no reason to have smoking areas in high schools any more.  Even the seniors aren't old enough to buy tobacco products these days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess no smoking means Gun Free Zones?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol no.
Posession of tobacco on Ffx county school property was illegal, even for teachers, in the mid 90s.  
Students got court summons if caught even if over 18 and legally able to posses.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
No smoking areas anymore.

My kids tell me a lot of kids vape now and some even do it in classrooms - when they were in skool.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]
1982 graduate, when I was a freshman they had a teachers lounge w/ smoking and students had to walk across street to 4H grounds to smoke but got rid of both.

Truck gun racks in school parking was no problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I guess no smoking means Gun Free Zones?
View Quote

Firearms were still allowed when I was in high school, but they had to be left in your car.  (Although one Israeli kid had an Uzi in his locker and was trying to sell it.) A few students actually had visible rifle racks in their pickups.  It's hard to imagine that now.

I found out recently that my high school's original building had an indoor shooting range in the basement.  It was used for JROTC, which had been eliminated by the time I got there.  The building was torn down in 1976.  I haven't seen much information but I assume the range was included in 1922 when the building was built.  I wouldn't be surprised if the school even had a rifle team for a good portion of its early history.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
At the student union cafeteria in Chico, we had a smokers section of tables.  This was back in the 80's.  Airplanes had a smoking section too, seats in the back of the plane.  And so did restaurants. Bars were usually all smoking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
They still allowed smoking in a special teacher's lounge in 1989 (I was in Kindergarden then).  Don't ever recall it existing after that point though.  The weird things you remember.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Graduated H.S. in 1978.
No outdoor smoking areas but we'd all gather in one spot outside an entrance door and smoke before the first bell, were never bothered.
The second floor boys room was the go to spot between classes, so much smoke in there you'd think a fog machine was running.
Even the worst of pricks teachers wouldn't go in there.

Only teacher to ever get the rest room empty was an OLD substitute teacher, Mr. Zonnheiser, employed bio-chemical warfare.
He made his way through the smoke haze and found a stall.
He took a dump, he must not have 'went' for a month, I get 'pukey' thinking about, was horrid!
We couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#34]
We actually had a smoking barrel. We built *gasp* a fire during break and at lunch in the winter. You didn't have to smoke to stand around it.

Eta: this was in the 70's, in alabama
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Marijuana smoke don't stink like cigarette smoke.  All the harmful additives they put into cigarettes make them repulsive. When I was a kid I was hired to clean out a tobacco barn.  I piled all the stalks and leaves outside and burned them.  The smoke smelled like grass or tree leaves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marijuana smoke stinks too.  I'd ask what you are smoking but I think we have our answer...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Across the street from school grounds when I was still in, ~2006.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Marijuana smoke stinks too.  I'd ask what you are smoking but I think we have our answer...
View Quote

It used to smell sweet, now it stinks, that seems weird to me.
It doesn't permeate everything like cigarettes though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Graduated in 76, yes there were designated smoking areas. Now? Smoking is right up there with murder and bank robbery.
Vaping too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Went to a private school during my HS days - really small and laid back, only 300 students. This was ‘84-‘88. There was a little smoking shelter one campus. No one seemed to care about age restriction.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine had a smoking area called the smoking pit, it was behind the lunch room, this was in the 70's.
I know when my kids were in high school there was no smoking on school grounds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Graduated in 76, yes there were designated smoking areas. Now? Smoking is right up there with murder and bank robbery.
Vaping too.
View Quote

You can't even bring a tiny Swiss Army knife onto a K-12 public school campus now.  When I was in high school, a Buck 110 carried on your belt was part of the standard attire for boys.  I carried one every day starting at age 15 all the way through college and my first several jobs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]
2nd floor bathroom
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#44]
The high-school I graduated from in 2008 eliminated the smoke pit in ~2006.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]
There was no smoking anywhere near the school when I went.

Not a boomer
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I remember the loadie section.

A denizen of the now extinct smoking area in a public high school.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
We had one up until about 1990 in HS for seniors only.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Girls bathroom by Mrs. Mac's classroom. No boys allowed obviously.

If you were cool with the bus mechanics, boys could smoke by their shop, but if you played sports and any of the coaches caught you there even just hanging out, you'd be doing up-downs or Figure 8s after practice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Doesn't matter where these days, you light up a smoke, you're pretty much a felon. Actually I think violent felons have higher status. It's one of the greatest examples of Social Engineering

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top