Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:39 PM EDT
I gave my cell number to a sales rep at a car dealership yesterday so he could contact me if he gets a used car in I might be interested in. I am getting nonstop calls on my cell all day today. Usually I just get one call about my vehicle warranty every few days. I already had four today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Absoloutely, either they do, or the finance companies do.

You are lucky that's the only theing they convinced you to sell while you were there.

One dealer made me sell my soul a few year back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. The 2nd place that gets it is Sirius, if your vehicle has Sat radio.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I gave the dealers assigned fictitious first names when I was dealing 6 months ago for a car.  
I'm getting unrelated telemarketing calls now asking for those names, solar panels and items that don't even pertain to the car.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If a car dealer can turn a profit, they do it.  Morals are so passé.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

also if you do decide to suscribe to sirius make sure it's on a CC that you are not afraid you cancel in a second. You can call all you want to cancel your sub but they will keep hitting the card.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
LoL, yes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I still regret giving my phone number to Ford at the county fair 8 years ago.  I have never received spam calls like this since then.  
I will give it to whoever they sold it to.  It has been persistent and unpredictable.  
They are real sombeeches!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I gave my cell number to a sales rep at a car dealership yesterday so he could contact me if he gets a used car in I might be interested in. I am getting nonstop calls on my cell all day today. Usually I just get one call about my vehicle warranty every few days. I already had four today.
View Quote

Yes

Legal or not it does not stop them
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Give them a Google voice number and if you are crafty and have gmail or other email services that support it create email aliases so you can track exactly who sold your information.

But yes, they do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

also if you do decide to suscribe to sirius make sure it's on a CC that you are not afraid you cancel in a second. You can call all you want to cancel your sub but they will keep hitting the card.
View Quote

Hmmm, I never had that problem with them, just shitty content that most of the time had me back on local radio stations
to find music to listen to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely.  Wife bought a truck.  Salesman had my junk email because I contacted initially.  I was getting junk email addressed to my wife's name
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Does a bear shit in the woods?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
literally everyone does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The crappy CRM software many dealers use is probably swiping info.

It seems unlikely that a dealership that might generate a 1000 inquiries a month? has much financial incentive to sell data... especially when THEY want to run those leads into the ground

Speed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I have been working at the wrong dealerships the past 20 years.

We absolutely DO NOT sell your info. Do we keep it for follow ups, cold calls, ect. ABSOLUTELY.  It goes in our CRM system.

Who sells your info is the state. Companies (like the car is out of warranty spam) buy a list of all newly registered vehicles from the state. Then from there the companies send you non stop mailers and spam calls, ect.

Finance companies will send you a welcome packet, approval letter or a letter stating why you were declined.

What I stated above does not apply for online retailers like carvana, ect. Or apply to crap chains like carmax. I don't know what they do.

In fact the dealers I sold at or the dealer I run actually have the customer sign a document that we will not sell your info to third parties.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We absolutely DO NOT sell your info. Do we keep it for follow ups, cold calls, ect. ABSOLUTELY.  It goes in our CRM system.

Who sells your info is the state. Companies (like the car is out of warranty spam) buy a list off all registered vehicles from the state. Then from there the companies send you non stop mailers and spam calls, ect.

Finance companies will send you a welcome packet, approval letter or a letter stating why you were declined.

What I stated above does not apply for online retailers like carvana, ect. Or apply to crap chains like carmax. I don't know what they do.

In fact the dealers I sold at or the dealer I run actually have the customer sign a document that we will not sell your info to third parties.
View Quote

This. I'm retired now, but in my time as a salesman and sales manager, I never worked in a dealership that sold customer info. Did we use it to spam you with service and sales emails - of course we did. Sell it to third parties - NO. As in the quoted text, we also had customers sign that disclaimer saying we would NOT sell it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. I'm retired now, but in my time as a salesman and sales manager, I never worked in a dealership that sold customer info. Did we use it to spam you with service and sales emails - of course we did. Sell it to third parties - NO. As in the quoted text, we also had customers sign that disclaimer saying we would NOT sell it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who sells your info is the state. Companies (like the car is out of warranty spam) buy a list off all registered vehicles from the state. Then from there the companies send you non stop mailers and spam calls, ect.

There is probably a clause in the CRM that lets the CRM company sell all the non PPI to solicitors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
literally everyone does.
View Quote

I don’t.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Did they run your credit? That'll get the calls rolling in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who sells your info is the state. Companies (like the car is out of warranty spam) buy a list of all newly registered vehicles from the state. Then from there the companies send you non stop mailers and spam calls, ect.

View Quote

This.  I've worked at multiple dealerships as a salesman, sales manager, and sales director and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

You guys give car dealerships waaaay too much credit for something like this.  Think of all the actual data farming companies you rubes enter all your info into when trying to figure out how "fuck the StEaLeRsHiP"

True car (and their one million affinity partners):  USAA, US News, Consumer Reports, Chase, State Farm, Progressive, Geico, PenFed, your credit union, Sams Club, American Express, LifeMart, AARP, Working Advantage, Allstate, AutoBlog, Car & Driver and on and on and on and on and on..  
Edmunds
Cars.com
Car Gurus
KBB
NADA
Autotrader
Autobytel
JD Powers
Carfax
Autocheck
Etc
Etc
Etc

And don't act like you don't do this because I know you're lying
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well then.
@JDennis

Last car was purchased 2.29.2020, financed thru my credit union.

I contacted 1 dealer, who got the car from another dealer 80 miles away and then to me.

I purchased a $35 Walmart phone specifically and only for purchasing this car. Ditto for email.

In less than a month I was getting calls and txts, 80% car related.
NY DMV never saw my phone number.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well then.
@JDennis

I contacted 1 dealer, who got the car from another dealer 80 miles away and then to me.

I purchased a $35 Walmart phone specifically and only for purchasing this car. Ditto for email.

View Quote

If you used that phone number and email from a burner phone (funniest thing I have heard in a while, especially to buy a car), that contact info would have been on the paperwork and submitted with the paperwork to the DMV for transfer and registration.  Therefore that is the info sold by the state and why your getting contacted on it. If your getting called on your real number and email, the data collecting company looked you up by your address which I am sure you used your real address on the title paperwork. Either way it IS NOT the dealer....

The stories and hoops people go through to buy a car is hilarious on GD. Buying a car is freaking simple, super simple, it isn't rocket surgery
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this.  I ripped the dealer for giving my cell phone number to Sirius.  The dealer took care of it.  Sirius did not call me anymore.  And, the next time I purchased a car from that dealer Sirius did not call me then either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Give them a Google voice number and if you are crafty and have gmail or other email services that support it create email aliases so you can track exactly who sold your information.

But yes, they do.
View Quote

Yep, Google number is good for this purposes. Next is an old school landline that get given out to everyone and not answered.  If it’s important enough they’ll leave a message.

I don’t answer my cell unless I know the number or expecting a call.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Everybody does.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The stories and hoops people go through to buy a car is hilarious on GD. Buying a car is freaking simple, super simple, it isn't rocket surgery
View Quote

Yes, but I buy cars every 2 years (6 drivers in my family), mostly new, and each car gets a low of 24k and a high of 38k miles a year.

I made the mistake of giving a Honda dealer my contact info persuant to a sale, which did not materialize. TEN YEARS later, and multiple requests to remove from their mail and call lists, I get an email each month (sometimes more) and at least 4-5 calls a year. Multiply that by 5 - 6 dealers when we are car shopping, and it becomes a royal pain. Now they are also texting.

We purchased another make/model that time around, and advised the Honda dealership we were not interested. Easily 1x call a week and 5 emails a week back then. I almost resorted to posting their info on Craiglist in one of the seedier sections.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well then.
@JDennis

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then.
@JDennis

You could never contact anyone at all with that phone number and still get those calls and texts
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Absoloutely, either they do, or the finance companies do.

You are lucky that's the only theing they convinced you to sell while you were there.

One dealer made me sell my soul a few year back.
View Quote

It's gotta be the dealers. I bought 3 BNIB cars in the last 2 years with cash. No finance companies involved. I probably average 15 calls a week for extended warranty bullshit. I block them, but they keep calling! I want to destroy them!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's gotta be the dealers. I bought 3 BNIB cars in the last 2 years with cash. No finance companies involved. I probably average 15 calls a week for extended warranty bullshit. I block them, but they keep calling! I want to destroy them!
View Quote

It's not the dealers.... it is your state.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well then.
@JDennis

View Quote

Lol, it was probably your credit union

I buy sales leads for an insurance company; FCU's are a huge vendor for us.

Speed
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You should pretty much assume that anyone who has your personal info will sell it ... with the possible exception of medical professionals.
View Quote

They share it too.

My housekeeper got China virus.
Abt 10 days after diagnosis the blood bank started blowing her phone up asking her to donate. She had no idea about plasma treatments.

Early on they were sharing positive test results with local law enforcement too. Not sure if they still are but...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You could never contact anyone at all with that phone number and still get those calls and texts
View Quote

No.

I have three numbers on my T mobile plan (total of eight, three to me). I've had my cell phone number since 1991 or 1992, it's relatively important for me to keep that number, and thus to keep the volume of "noise" on that line to a minimum.  

I have a phone number that is used only for work (work phone where I am reimbursed), and to date, I have never received any such comms on that particular number, in about 7 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol, it was probably your credit union

I buy sales leads for an insurance company; FCU's are a huge vendor for us.

Speed
View Quote

I'm going over there tomorrow to dry fuck em so hard....

Except the credit union has my primary phone number (212 555 1212).

I also have my own email domain, so every vendor gets their own email address - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do car dealerships sell your personal info?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fact, and there is no way to delete or edit the card info on the website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top