Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2021 12:18:07 AM EDT
I've got the water heater out to install new flooring. Previous owner didn't have a pan under the heater. Seems like a good idea. Do I also need to plumb the pan outside?

Also, the plumbing for the TPRV seems...odd. It's the copper piping on the right. It's plumbed outside (the wall with the water heater in/out) and exits the siding down at floor level. Is there a better way to plumb it?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes and yes
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, use a pan. It's a small expense that could save thousands if you ever have a leak. I plumbed the pan and the overflow pipe through the floor and into the crawl space.
That's not a perfect solution but I can live with a few gallons go under the house and into the sump pump. So far it has never happened.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Need?  no.

Will you wish you put them in when your water heater bursts?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
first thing you need is some trim and paint...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If those are wood floors then I would want a pan. If not I would still use a pan. Would suck for it to leak when you're out of town.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The house I just bought doesn't have a pan.  It annoys me.

I'm going to replace the water heater (its 12 years old) and use a pan.  The drain won't be pretty, as the only floor drain is in another part of the finished basement... but whatever.  Better to have a stupid pipe to step over in the laundry area than a flooded basement.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Pan, definitely.  Plumbed if at all possible.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it alright to plumb the pan straight out that back exterior wall?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and yes
View Quote

A few weeks ago my FILs sprung a leak.  He had a standard 1"-2" pan, but no drain.  Everything that was on the floor got wet.  Including golf bags (with clubs), tools,  cardboard boxes, etc etc...

And to clean it up the garage had to be emptied.  He had a good 1/8" standing in half the garage.  It was a complete mess.  

So yes install the drain.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Best use of a pan is to use a flood stop and plumb the pan to a drain or outside.
Second best use would be to use a flood stop with no drain.
40 gallons is better then nonstop flow
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I assume your permits are in order for this improvement, sir?

Install a pan, drain to daylight, pipe tpr down to pan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have to ask, you should probably get a permit...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or just answer the question? Or fuck off? I'm not a plumber, or inspector, but I prefer to do my own work and I prefer to do it correctly the first time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Might be a basis for insurance rejection if you don't have one and submit a claim.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
My water heater is in the unfinished part of the basement with good drainage straight to the floor drain 6’ away from it.

If any of that was different I would remove the heater and put a pan under it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or just answer the question? Or fuck off? I'm not a plumber, or inspector, but I prefer to do my own work and I prefer to do it correctly the first time.
View Quote

Lol.... how does one even wonder if dumping clean water into ones yard is ok vs letting it flood ones house? Im 100% serious.. How do you, a rational person feel the need to ask that question????? Christ, I weep for this country...  You do know that people have sprinkler systems that dumps tons of water on their yards right? be it town water, or well water.. You do know that people water gardens, be it flower or vegetable gardens with..... gasp.... water..... And guess whats in your water heater..... Tic tock... times up.... FUCKING WATER.... Its not like you are cooling spent fuel rods in it... My first post was simply being sarcastic, but now I understand what Im actually dealing with... so you probably should pull a permit, and ask you HOA and call your town board and ask permission so at least I wont be the only one to get a chuckle out of this... Good christ man...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol.... how does one even wonder if dumping clean water into ones yard is ok vs letting it flood ones house? Im 100% serious.. How do you, a rational person feel the need to ask that question????? Christ, I weep for this country...  You do know that people have sprinkler systems that dumps tons of water on their yards right? be it town water, or well water.. You do know that people water gardens, be it flower or vegetable gardens with..... gasp.... water..... And guess whats in your water heater..... Tic tock... times up.... FUCKING WATER.... Its not like you are cooling spent fuel rods in it... My first post was simply being sarcastic, but now I understand what Im actually dealing with... so you probably should pull a permit, and ask you HOA and call your town board and ask permission so at least I wont be the only one to get a chuckle out of this... Good christ man...
View Quote

I was going to guess water in the water heater, but you didn’t give me enough time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Dumbest post ever!

Yes you turd you need both!

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
When I replaced the water heater at my old house, the plumber put in a pan and plumbed it to the outside.  About a year before I sold my house, the water heater started leaking and the water pan saved me a major headache and who knows how much money.  Yes, get the pan and plumb it to the outside.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was going to guess water in the water heater, but you didn’t give me enough time.
View Quote

Im seriously baffled by this... Like how in the blue fuck could someone that owns a home, has a job, and navigates roads too and from work wonder if its ok to dump water... Ok "HOT" water incase their tank blows into their own yard??? So if his house is on fire, and the fire department shows up, what do you think they use??? WATER... This is whats wrong with this country... People can not free think anymore... You feel you need permission for everything...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Im seriously baffled by this... Like how in the blue fuck could someone that owns a home, has a job, and navigates roads too and from work wonder if its ok to dump water... Ok "HOT" water incase their tank blows into their own yard??? So if his house is on fire, and the fire department shows up, what do you think they use??? WATER... This is whats wrong with this country... People can not free think anymore... You feel you need permission for everything...
View Quote

Well to be fair, he never said he had a job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#24]
West coast and earthquake straps....ha....ive heard about them.

Do both...cheap insurance.

Also please always feel free to ask questions...im always bouncing ideas off my contractor friend and sometimes i do think back and think that was prob dumb...but for some people that s part of the thinking process.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well to be fair, he never said he had a job.
View Quote

Well to be fair.... He has a water heater, and room it belongs too, (minus some trim and some paint) so one assumes its in a dwelling and modern dwellings (unless your a Xiden voter) require income... But you could be right, maybe mama works and he says home, which would put more pieces of this puzzle together...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Should have a pan, drain plumbed out and T&P valve piped straight down into the pan.

Its a good idea to replace the shut off valve too unless its newer. Really sucks when you get all sone and the valve starts leaking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes and yes. Pan and straps are code in that National code thingy. Every place that's smart enough just to approve the nat code will tell you yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's these things called codes. I'm not on the up and up with them, but there are many here that are. None of this is difficult work, but if I'm going to do the work I'd like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  You know, so when I sell this place I don't get fucked by their inspector and have to do it again. Thanks for stopping by
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Should have a pan, drain plumbed out and T&P valve piped straight down into the pan.

Its a good idea to replace the shut off valve too unless its newer. Really sucks when you get all sone and the valve starts leaking.
View Quote

Quoted:

Yes. Probably your best bet.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thank you
View Quote

No problem. Keep in mind local codes can vary. Municipalities are also allowed to make more stringent codes. All depends on the inspector too. It’s been a while since I have installed a water heater but I don’t recall straps being required here in FL. We don't get earthquakes though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Codes? Where we're going we don't need codes.

Rural Missouri here
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes and yes
View Quote

CORRECT!!!

First Post Nails It Yet Again!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't have a pan but mine is also in the basement 3 feet away from the sump crock with another drain 3 feet away in the opposite direction of the crock. I don't like pans because if it's gas and there is an air intake screen underneath, you usually need access to it to clean and a pan prevents that unless you raise the water up in the pan by use of blocks or spacers. If I had one that was electric or on the ground floor or attic [idiots], yeah, I would have a pan under it.

I don't like that P&T setup much as it doesn't look like it would be too hard to block off and you have to be careful with a safety device. Usually they are directed into the pan and the pan then has a drain line.

Oh, and get a leak frog and stick it in the pan. They can save your ass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Where's the coal pan going to go then?

How are.you guys heating your water down there? Nut coal?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Get a flood stop for it,
https://www.supplyhouse.com/FloodStop-FS3-4NPT-Water-Heater-or-Main-Supply-FloodStop-w-3-4-Ball-Valve?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCczMxZ2VsvLC1n7dat3SgoV22KoHeBWLR47Kthm3ZiPrtPhXwN6fo0aAv5QEALw_wcB
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#38]
i have a pan under mine that has a drain down through the floor.  but i also raise mine on a few bricks - it makes it easier to detect small leaks early.  i've had 2 develop small leaks that pool under the heater.  is easier to detect if it is raised.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I assume your permits are in order for this improvement, sir?

Install a pan, drain to daylight, pipe tpr down to pan.
View Quote

Your permits can fuck right off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I didn’t add a pan when I did mine because no easy way to actually drain it, and if it leaks water will just run into a corner of my basement. I did however get a leak detector one that closes the incoming line if it does leak. Which means I will only have 50 gallons of water in the basement. I hope.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Replace your water heater every 8-10 years and you won't have to worry about it too much.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There's these things called codes. I'm not on the up and up with them, but there are many here that are. None of this is difficult work, but if I'm going to do the work I'd like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  You know, so when I sell this place I don't get fucked by their inspector and have to do it again. Thanks for stopping by
View Quote
And there are all kinds of stupid codes that make no sense, not to mention lender requirements that are meant to take all fucking risk from a future home buyer. Your shit may be up to local code but when you go to sell the lending bank may not like the way you have shit and tell you to fix it.
I ran into this when I decided to sell.

My water heater was in the attic at my old place. It was in a pan (obviously), the pressure relief and pan drain were both plumbed out the side wall down to just past the bottom of the siding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#43]
It's code  here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Use a pan, not sure about the piping.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Replace your water heater every 8-10 years and you won't have to worry about it too much.

View Quote

I'm on year 20, it's flushed 4 times a year, [easy as hell to do] and water heaters [especially power vents and on demand] are expensive as hell. Why replace them when it's not needed? When I go on vacation the water is turned off, the pressure relieved and the water heater is set to vacation mode. That SHOULD be what everyone does anyways, inspect your stuff, maintain it, and replace it when you start to see issues that are financially unwise to repair. [like a power vent draft inducer on a 15 year old water heater]

Anad if you are going through water heater after water heater and it's not due to sediment buildup but due to leaks, get a electrician to check your grounds and tie your water heater and water lines together as electricity will follow ANY path back to ground and it's amazing how fast a water heater can get eaten up if it's the path.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Didn't read through the entire thread but if you have room you can build a small stand below it to get some height for the drain to exit the home higher.

We do this every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm on year 20, it's flushed 4 times a year, [easy as hell to do] and water heaters [especially power vents and on demand] are expensive as hell. Why replace them when it's not needed? When I go on vacation the water is turned off, the pressure relieved and the water heater is set to vacation mode. That SHOULD be what everyone does anyways, inspect your stuff, maintain it, and replace it when you start to see issues that are financially unwise to repair. [like a power vent draft inducer on a 15 year old water heater]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with all of that, but few people do those things. I flush mine twice per year and shut the water system down when we're away as well. Noe of that keeps the inner vessel from failing from age or corrosion.

eta: Don't forget to check you zinc anode every year.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#48]
You will quite likely develop some sort of small leak in the future.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#49]
With the Pan and Drain issues resolved, do You need to install a second Anode Rod?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
first thing you need is some trim and paint...
View Quote

That would drive me ABSOLUTELY Nuts. Not that I need any help there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top