Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2020 9:36:26 AM EDT
So Im still fairly new in the investing game and have been reading philosophies of Dave Ramsey, JL Collins and the boggleheads.

Up until now Ive been just doing a 85/15 split of s&p index (fxaix) and Bond index, but have been reading up on dividend investing. I did some simple math and if I took what I have in the index fund vs dumping it all in Att (T),  the dividend alone would net me 3x the earnings compared to the quarterly dividend of FXAIX.

Would it make more sense to do some dividend type investing in my Roth and then doing some index investing in my 457 and or a taxable account? I understand the risk of single companies vs mutual funds , Im just looking to try and maximize my investments
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Dividend investing is for when you need low risk (for equities) income. It does not grow your nest egg as they call it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dividend investing is for when you need low risk (for equities) income. It does not grow your nest egg as they call it.

View Quote

For now I would DRIP it right back into more equities for the long term
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A little diversification never hurts...

I've been playing with Dividend strcks since December and I'm about $3500 or so in and generating $560+ a year in Dividends....
My Goal is to break a $1000 this year...  Once you have enough shares of a few stocks, they start compounding and grow much faster.

T or ATT is definitely on my list to keep adding too.

I'd say with Dividend Stocks you want a good 15 or 20 in various sectors, so if one area gets hit hard, hopefully, the others do not.

Look up Dividend Aristocrats, see what and who they are.

I've only got money in a few stocks that are not dividend earners. Just to see if they'll gain much, then I'll sell them and buy more shares of my dividend earners...
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dividends are not your goal right now ignore it as a factor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
A few points:

1)  It's not a matter of Index Fund Investing vs. Dividend Investing.  There are index funds that target dividends just like there are index funds that target growth.  Whether you are in index funds or individual stocks is NOT a question of what types of equities you want to be in but rather a question of how much you want to micromanage your investments.

Opinion:  There's very little value for an amateur investor to buy individual stocks other than for entertainment purposes OR the rare case when you simply just have a great idea about a particular company.

2)  The degree to which a company is paying out dividends is the degree to which that same company is not re-investing back in their business.  You are inherently trading away some growth when you target healthy dividends.  When companies are not paying dividends, it means their earnings are going into the balance sheet as shareholder's equity, which likewise increases the value of your shares.  It does not disappear simply because they failed to pay those earnings as a dividend.

Opinion:  Look at your time to retirement, risk tolerance, and tax implications, and use those factors as your guide to decide if you should be dividend heavy or growth heavy.  As satisfying as dividends are, I don't think they are the best approach for someone who is young with many years left to retirement.  You can compare any growth and dividend fund using a DRIP returns calculator if you need to have it proven out for you.

https://www.dividendchannel.com/drip-returns-calculator/

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dividends are not your goal right now ignore it as a factor.
View Quote

Dividend alone is not the goal, what I’m saying is that in my tax free account I could switch over to a diversified stock portfolio and make more a quarter on dividends which would be reinvested back into my tax free account, either in an index fund or more stocks
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Heres a small example of what I was looking at:

$2500 in the account

FXAIX ($99.70)- (YTD -10.49%) Quarterly dividend- $.52 a share

$2500/ 99.70 = 25 shares = $13/quarter in dividends

ATT($30.96) - (YTD -20%) Quarterly dividend - $.52 a share

$2500/30.96 = 80 shares = 41.60/Quarter in dividends

Thats what I was looking at as a single example not just a diversified portfolio. I guess the additional %10 loss is a bitch
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dividend alone is not the goal, what I’m saying is that in my tax free account I could switch over to a diversified stock portfolio and make more a quarter on dividends which would be reinvested back into my tax free account, either in an index fund or more stocks
View Quote

And I am telling you it's a bad idea. If you are thinking of a dividend focused fund, dont you arent retired yet or soon. If individual stocks then really really don't. Lots of risk and lower return that what you are doing now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heres a small example of what I was looking at:

$2500 in the account

FXAIX ($99.70)- (YTD -10.49%) Quarterly dividend- $.52 a share

$2500/ 99.70 = 25 shares = $13/quarter in dividends

ATT($30.96) - (YTD -20%) Quarterly dividend - $.52 a share

$2500/30.96 = 80 shares = 41.60/Quarter in dividends

Thats what I was looking at as a single example not just a diversified portfolio. I guess the additional %10 loss is a bitch
View Quote

Why would that be a good idea?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dividend alone is not the goal, what I'm saying is that in my tax free account I could switch over to a diversified stock portfolio and make more a quarter on dividends which would be reinvested back into my tax free account, either in an index fund or more stocks
View Quote

Dividends aren't a free lunch.  Every dollar paid out in dividend reduces the value of the company.  Dividends force taxation (in taxable accounts) and provide no risk reduction benefit.

I highly recommend reading appendix D of this book for an excellent breakdown of dividends.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why would that be a good idea?
View Quote

I need to get out of the house
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Never own an individual stock if you aren't committed enough to read all the quarterly reports, listen to all the earnings calls etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd buy a dividend etf like VYM instead. Too much risk going with just one stock. ATT hasn't cut their dividend for longer than I've been alive but it doesn't mean the share price won't drop.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The risk is to high to justify any future return. Going from index of 500 stocks to one is adding a lot more risk. Going back 10 years and investing 10000 FXAIX made about 7000 dollars more than T
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been investing on my own for a long time.
the Dow when I started investing was the same year I was born....1965.

So I've seen some shit.

I've acted.....over reacted, underperformed, over performed.......seen quite a few cycles since 1986.

I just never quite got into index or "life strategy" type funds that adjust as one ages. I've always liked stodgy dividend payers a la the school of Bogle.

I pay a management fee through no load funds for people who know shit....to manage shit. So, unlike many others, I have always leaned towards managed funds over index funds. Especially funds that focus on steady dividend payers.
Index funds can't jump on trends. That was always my mode of thinking. it is still my mode as I invest heavily in robotics and AI.

But, one has to do what one is comfortable with. And if index funds are working for you......awesome. It's a great foundation for dollar to dollar matching. As long as we see growth, which......since the market's founding is around 7% over time.

I'm not greedy. I'd take that every year.
But there's some times it's good to get into a sector or particular stock that is hot. After that foundation is built, be it index funds or actively managed stocks....always keep a little for that hot one.
Sometimes....not always, but sometimes it really pays off outside of that dollar to dollar matching.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I like Verizon much more than ATT. They have growth, big dividend, and very defensive.  The stock is virtually unchanged after the March meltdown
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I do dividend investing and that used to be all of it but unless you dedicate full time you can’t keep up with individual stocks.   Pick an index and put all but a little in that.    With that little do your dividend investing.  If they cut that dividend your smoked.  I had one company say on the record they had the money to cover the dividend and cut it the next day-thanks KMI.  So keep it a hobby.  It’s fun to get the wins that keep on paying but they don’t happen often enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
dividend investing was the original index investing, and made sense pre-1999 or so

at least for the last 20 years, indexing growth will beat it in every way
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I like dividend stocks but now that they are more popular many are over priced. I'd love to own water utilities again but the PEs on them are insane. Look at YORW for example. Yes they have revenue growth but it's really slow. Their PE is almost 40. Why are they worth 40x earnings? Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#23]
All I know is that my buddy invested for dividends and I did for index funds.

I have a gain of 14% this year he is currently sitting at a 20% 6 figure loss.

He uses a broker I don't.

There is no formula that will work automatically 100% of the time.

I would also say Dave Ramsey is a great guy to figure out how to get out of debt.  He is not a growing wealth kind of guy though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Misfire
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top