Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 8/13/2018 7:52:26 PM EDT
Diver died Sunday (yesterday) after surfacing from a wreck dive on the Cedarville.

Link

A man is dead after a diving accident around a shipwreck in the Straits of Mackinac.

At around 12:42 Sunday afternoon, deputies learned that a diver was being transported to the Mackinac Straits Hospital.

An investigation showed the man was with another diver and a third person who captained the boat.

According to deputies, the two divers made two trips down to the Cedarville and rose in tandem.

On the second dive, both divers had surfaced when one diver noticed the other struggling and helped him into the boat.

The man was then taken to St. Ignace, where he was pronounced dead.

At this time, investigators say are not sure what caused the death and will conduct an autopsy as well as inspect the dive equipment.
View Quote
Details on the Cedarville wreck - It can be a challenging dive with the currents in the Straits. 10 people crew died when the Cedarville sank after a collision in 1965, but more than 10 divers have died on her over the years.

A scary account of a diver trapped inside after getting lost inside the Cedarville in 2000 (was rescued).
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
We summer in St. Ignace. The waters there are no joke, every bit as dangerous and unpredictable as any ocean.

It is tragic another diver dies in the Straights. My heart goes out to the family.

And by the way, for any non-midwesterners, it is pronounced "Mackinaw" not "Mackinack" .
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We summer in St. Ignace. The waters there are no joke, every bit as dangerous and unpredictable as any ocean.

It is tragic another diver dies in the Straights. My heart goes out to the family.

And by the way, for any non-midwesterners, it is pronounced "Mackinaw" not "Mackinack" .
View Quote
I only dive in the Great Lakes (besides the local quarries). Did a trip up in Thunder Bay (off Alpena) last weekend. I'm doing the Straits next year for my big 50th birthday trip. I've wanted to see the Cedarville badly. That article was the driver trapped inside was a very good lesson in not doing wreck penetration unless I was pretty sure what I was getting into. I have a great deal of respect for the conditions in the Straits, which is why I've waited as long as I have to do them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Sucks
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Curious to see if it's a "diving accident" or just a heart attack possibly from overexertion. Either way still sucks.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top