Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 9/27/2019 11:40:23 PM EDT
So a little history...

I recently joined the dive and rescue team for the police department I work at. I have been on the team for almost two months with 0 scuba training prior to joining the team. I have been certified and have dove with the team 4 times since joining.

Problem

We are having a 3 day training trip to a rock quarry where we have to lead a "4 hr training block". The quarry has 2 sunken boats, an ambulance, a stove, and a toilet at around 30ft depth.

Seeing that I'm VERY new to SCUBA I'm having some trouble thinking of some type of training. I want to do something that has to do with attention to detail but don't know how to build a fun and engaging training around that.

Any tips and suggestions would help me greatly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Log some dives. Learn to fine tune your buoyancy.
Learn the best placement for your gear during a dive.

Just because there are interesting artifacts in the water doesn't mean that that there aren't more crucial skills to master first when you intend to dive in mission critical scenarios.

What certs do you have now?  Never hurts to have more and log dives for those skillls/levels, too.

If you are in cave and cavern territory, DO NOT GO INTO AN OVERHEAD ENVIRONMENT WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT. BEING PART OF A DIVE TEAM DOES NOT CHANGE THAT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever use a searchline before? Has other people on the team?

This'll keep you busy with relevant training all day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_searches#Diver_searches
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Have at least one james bond underwater scuba fight where everyone has to fight each other and strip each others gear off, last one to surface wins.  Gets people used to folks being combative in the water, shit going sideways, and keeping calm if shit gets knocked lose.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are open water, go to depth an kick up some silt. Wait until you can see. Now think about THAT without a rope to lead you out. And if they have a sled, you can get trained on how to use it.
It allows you to search by getting pulled slowly with a boat.

One more thing, when you have to place a body in a body bag at depth.
Make sure the closed zipper end is at the feet.
Leave it open a little, so the water can drain out.

You wont be able to lift it otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Bring the ambulance to the surface using float bags. Attention to detail, teamwork, timing and communication.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So a little history...

I recently joined the dive and rescue team for the police department I work at. I have been on the team for almost two months with 0 scuba training prior to joining the team. I have been certified and have dove with the team 4 times since joining.

Problem

We are having a 3 day training trip to a rock quarry where we have to lead a "4 hr training block". The quarry has 2 sunken boats, an ambulance, a stove, and a toilet at around 30ft depth.

Seeing that I'm VERY new to SCUBA I'm having some trouble thinking of some type of training. I want to do something that has to do with attention to detail but don't know how to build a fun and engaging training around that.

Any tips and suggestions would help me greatly.

Thanks
View Quote
Let me see if I understand this properly. You’re very new to diving, have your basic open water cert, and you’re on the dive team now. Do you have any public safety dive training at all from ERDI or elsewhere? If not, sounds like you could certainly use some.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
At your level I’d tell them I’ll pass on leading training and concentrate on learning.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ummm, you shouldn't be leading anything; you should be learning and gaining as much experience as possible at this point.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At your level I’d tell them I’ll pass on leading training and concentrate on learning.
View Quote
This is exactly how I feel but they say I have to do something.

The other team members are all very experienced and are helping me along. They say me researching out training will help me learn.

We have a grid made if PVC for smaller area searches. I might just secure it to the ground and place a few random items in it and make them find it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The other team members are all very experienced and are helping me along. They say me researching out training will help me learn.

We have a grid made if PVC for smaller area searches. I might just secure it to the ground and place a few random items in it and make them find it.
View Quote
Are there ANY plans to get you real public safety diver training?
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It truly sounds like you are way too new to train anybody. Is it fellow divers that are wanting this or brass that don’t dive?  If it’s the brass, your team lead should be speaking up.

If you’re forced into it, start with: Who is your audience?  Then, what are their needs?  I’m making an assumption that you’re expected to train fellow LE divers. I might throw this on it’s side and say the most appropriate training a new diver can give a seasoned one may be a basic refresher. Something basic like underwater navigation, but make it more challenging than just a square. Have them each plant colored flags along their path and then video the path and see how close or far apart they all are. Make sure they are accompanied to ensure they’re constantly looking at compass/computer, not looking around. Maybe even put some “landmarks” nearish the navigation plots to try to throw off those that look around.

Whatever you choose, remember that the true test of your knowledge is whether you can teach it to someone else. So stick to what you know best. But also try to make it a basic skill that they rarely use. I’d assume they often use search and recovery skills.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You can tell who's not prior service here LOL.
Having boots/ new guys lead training blocks/ hip pocket training is SUPER common.
It's no surprise they would have him as a new guy do it for the reason stated. Get him THINKING about stuff, not just going through the motions doing it.

I would do a class on tethered/ tendered diving and line pull signals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At your level I'd tell them I'll pass on leading training and concentrate on learning.

I would focus on something basic that is just learned for you but something you know well from your recent cert. Running basic navigation might be good, or even just gear removal and recovery, repeated CESA from 45' to simulate entangled gear lost, out of air drills, etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Having boots/ new guys lead training blocks/ hip pocket training is SUPER common.
It's no surprise they would have him as a new guy do it for the reason stated. Get him THINKING about stuff, not just going through the motions doing it.

View Quote
Yeah, but training in the Company quad has no risk of your regulator fritzing, and all the other things that can kill you during a task focused dive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, but training in the Company quad has no risk of your regulator fritzing, and all the other things that can kill you during a task focused dive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... man I don't have a good way to respond to that that doesn't come across like a dick or like I don't care about safety..

I'll just say, don't ever get into commercial diving if the "what if's" stop you from doing stuff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I get it, you don’t get experience by not doing anything. But according to the OP, he has no prior diving experience and has been on all of 4 dives.

It’s one thing to put someone new to the traffic division in charge of PBT training. It’s a little different with diving. If he was advanced open water or something for a few years before joining the team, that’s a different story too.

Right now, he should just be focused on being comfortable and safe in the water. That’s just me though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I get it, you don't get experience by not doing anything. But according to the OP, he has no prior diving experience and has been on all of 4 dives.

It's one thing to put someone new to the traffic division in charge of PBT training. It's a little different with diving. If he was advanced open water or something for a few years before joining the team, that's a different story too.

Right now, he should just be focused on being comfortable and safe in the water. That's just me though.
View Quote
That's the difference between diving for sport, and diving as a job. What happens when the OP has to do something super fucking dangerous soon? Without time to milk getting comfortable.

It's all exacerbated by police and fire using scuba for dives that should be done with commercial gear, or at least tethered most the most for a huge amount of dives.

Leading an instruction block in a 30' deep quarry is probably the safest thing he'll ever do outside a pool lol.  Dudes going to go straight to the deep end for work. No sense nerf padding things for too long.

-eta Plus op said it max's out at 30'. They could dive all day long no D so he could spend a couple hours in the water easy, just bring a pile of tanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, so when does the OP get actual public safety dive training? Full face mask, training as a tender, etc.? One of my OW instructors is also a fire fighter, on one of the local dive teams, and is a ERDI trainer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, so when does the OP get actual public safety dive training? Full face mask, training as a tender, etc.? One of my OW instructors is also a fire fighter, on one of the local dive teams, and is a ERDI trainer.
View Quote
Who says he will? Look at the listed state. (joking/ not joking)
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If you just have to do something, make it all land based training.  You can still practice search pattern/navigating techniques above water blindfolded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ummm, you shouldn't be leading anything; you should be learning and gaining as much experience as possible at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
THIS
Quoted:
At your level I'd tell them I'll pass on leading training and concentrate on learning.
AND THAT

WTF kind of PD hires someone for a S&R team with next to zero experience? No offense to you.
I think you need to get a lot of diving in and doing a lot of reading on basic principles of this sort of thing before you do it, let alone lead it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I get it, you don’t get experience by not doing anything. But according to the OP, he has no prior diving experience and has been on all of 4 dives.

It’s one thing to put someone new to the traffic division in charge of PBT training. It’s a little different with diving. If he was advanced open water or something for a few years before joining the team, that’s a different story too.

Right now, he should just be focused on being comfortable and safe in the water. That’s just me though.
View Quote
Four dives?  Agree with above.
Our dive team doesn’t accept anyone that’s not at least Rescue.  DM prefer.  And they are all volunteer!
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I will be doing. Since I don't have much/any experience. My thinking is that it will help me learn the basics and show the more experienced guys I'm willing to learn.

Thanks for all the input.  I will definitely look into Public Safety diving classes to help me advance and not just do what's required.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Having young, inexperienced guys doing the training is incredibly valuable training for them.  We do it all the time on the FD, my LE friends do it. My .mil friends did/do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most PSD teams don't get all that.  The only reason anyone on my team has, is we went to it ourselves.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

WTF kind of PD hires someone for a S&R team with next to zero experience? No offense to you.
View Quote
Almost all of them.  Places where diving is really popular have a more broad pool to pick from.   I've been involved (at various levels) in the training of ten or more PSD teams, I think I've seen 2 guys with prior training come in.  The one PADI PSD instructor we have around wasn't even a PSD, went to the instructor class, and was teaching it the next weekend. And I know weekend class OWDs that are more skilled underwater than he is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every bit of this.

And the tethered/tendered dive, and line pull signals would be a great one.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top