Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 2/29/2020 5:19:27 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting back into diving this summer. I've been out of it for about 20 years.

My question is what is the best bang for the buck in dive gear now? Which brands offer consistant performance and durability for a good price?

I'll be mainly diving the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, quarries and Florida springs. No deep, cave or technical diving.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used Sherwood gear mostly, it worked well for me then. How does it rate now?

Looking to buy once cry once....  I'm open to all suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
ScubaPro or Atomic.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer AquaLung or Apeks.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
How long has Atomic been around?

Scuba Pro I've had experience with but I've not heard of Atomic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Atomic has been around over two decades.  They were founded by engineers who left Scubapro, two engineers who were responsible for their best designs like the MK-10 and the G-250.

I have over twenty Scubapro regs and five Atomics.   I have to give the nod to the Atomics although both are great regs.  I am a Scubapro trained Regulator Repair Tech too.

I have both the Z2 and ST1 Atomics.  I love the seat saver feature, the reg never takes a set.  They have exclusive features like automatic Venturi control and the seat saver that do enhance their functionality.

Atomic is the Knights Armaments of regs.

There are also other good options.  I use Deep 6 for stage bottle regs.
View Quote
This is great information. I know nothing of the dive companies that started up later than 1998 when I got out of diving. I'm only familiar with the older brands from the 80s and early 90s.

What are some of the other good options available?

Not looking for anything other than sport diving purposed gear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm kind of in the same boat, though not as long.  I haven't been in the water since 2008.  I've been researching gear this last week and I stopped up to the local dive shop to look at the new gear and schedule a refresher course.  My local shop suggested Apeks, but I need to do more research before buying.

I'd suggest also taking a refresher course.  My local shop does one for $75 and includes an hour of one on one in the pool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm kind of in the same boat, though not as long.  I haven't been in the water since 2008.  I've been researching gear this last week and I stopped up to the local dive shop to look at the new gear and schedule a refresher course.  My local shop suggested Apeks, but I need to do more research before buying.

I'd suggest also taking a refresher course.  My local shop does one for $75 and includes an hour of one on one in the pool.
View Quote
The Apeks XTX50 is a very good reg that doesn’t break the bank. It’s a workhorse tech reg. Does warm and cold just fine. First and second stage should run about $600.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Apeks XTX50 is a very good reg that doesn’t break the bank. It’s a workhorse tech reg. Does warm and cold just fine. First and second stage should run about $600.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just verified earlier today those are what's in the Apeks package my LDS is selling.  Apeks harness, bp w/ wing, XTX reg, weights, two XTX50's, manifold, and inflator for $1,580.  I'm seriously looking purchasing it after I do my refresher course week.  The owner offered the setup as a loaner for my pool time to try it before I buy it, he said he'd like to make sure I'm comfortable in it.  Does the price sound appropriate from an LDS?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just verified earlier today those are what's in the Apeks package my LDS is selling.  Apeks harness, bp w/ wing, XTX reg, weights, two XTX50's, manifold, and inflator for $1,580.  I'm seriously looking purchasing it after I do my refresher course week.  The owner offered the setup as a loaner for my pool time to try it before I buy it, he said he'd like to make sure I'm comfortable in it.  Does the price sound appropriate from an LDS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manifold? Like for doubles? I’ve had an Apeks 40lb wing as a loaner on a diving trip last year. Narrow profile. Really liked it.

Do you have a link to the package? I’d like to see it. That manifold part is what I don’t quite get.

You planning to dive locally? You’ve got some fab wreck diving in your backyard. I’m Great Lakes wreck obsessed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Manifold? Like for doubles? I’ve had an Apeks 40lb wing as a loaner on a diving trip last year. Narrow profile. Really liked it.

Do you have a link to the package? I’d like to see it. That manifold part is what I don’t quite get.

You planning to dive locally? You’ve got some fab wreck diving in your backyard. I’m Great Lakes wreck obsessed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Marie I misspoke by manifold I meant 2 gauge console.
At work we call a similar setup a gauge manifold in my industry.  They don't do online sales but there is a pic of the setup here.

Yes, I've always been interested in wreck diving but after I got my AOW cert I didn't have anyone to dive with and I didn't have the time to pursue it.  This year I've decided it's time to make time for myself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Marie I misspoke by manifold I meant 2 gauge console.
At work we call a similar setup a gauge manifold in my industry.  They don't do online sales but there is a pic of the setup here.

Yes, I've always been interested in wreck diving but after I got my AOW cert I didn't have anyone to dive with and I didn't have the time to pursue it.  This year I've decided it's time to make time for myself.
View Quote
My local charter op here in Chicago has a boat out of Sanilac (halfway up the Thumb). You need to check them out. Double Action Dive Charters.  I’ll be diving with them Memorial Day weekend.

What are you going to do for a computer? You’re also going to need a 7mm wetsuit or semi dry if you’re going to be diving locally. I dive dry.

It looks like a good package. Maybe a bit more than I would pay, but it’s very solid gear and will serve you well. What lift wing are you going to get? I’m going to recommend the 30 or 40 lb wing if you’ll be diving locally.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My local charter op here in Chicago has a boat out of Sanilac (halfway up the Thumb). You need to check them out. Double Action Dive Charters.  I’ll be diving with them Memorial Day weekend.

What are you going to do for a computer? You’re also going to need a 7mm wetsuit or semi dry if you’re going to be diving locally. I dive dry.

It looks like a good package. Maybe a bit more than I would pay, but it’s very solid gear and will serve you well. What lift wing are you going to get? I’m going to recommend the 30 or 40 lb wing if you’ll be diving locally.
View Quote
I've heard good things about Double Action, eventually I'll have to make it up there.  I'm only maybe an hour and a half out of Sanilac.  This summer is more about getting back in the water and getting some real experience.  So I'll probably stick to a lot of easier dives.  A 7mm wetsuit is also in the cards, the LDS is recommending Henderson but I've also been told Bare wetsuits hold up a bit better.

As for a DC I'll probably start with a Mares puck but eventually I'd like to get a Mares with the tank adaptor.  Then I'd have the puck as a backup.

Not sure which wing yet since I don't really have any experience with it.  I'll keep the 30-40 lb wing in mind and see what the LDS says also.  As for the price, I figure I'm paying for the local support as long as they're within reason.  I also like to support local business when possible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard good things about Double Action, eventually I'll have to make it up there.  I'm only maybe an hour and a half out of Sanilac.  This summer is more about getting back in the water and getting some real experience.  So I'll probably stick to a lot of easier dives.  A 7mm wetsuit is also in the cards, the LDS is recommending Henderson but I've also been told Bare wetsuits hold up a bit better.

As for a DC I'll probably start with a Mares puck but eventually I'd like to get a Mares with the tank adaptor.  Then I'd have the puck as a backup.

Not sure which wing yet since I don't really have any experience with it.  I'll keep the 30-40 lb wing in mind and see what the LDS says also.  As for the price, I figure I'm paying for the local support as long as they're within reason.  I also like to support local business when possible.
View Quote
Double Action is owned by the same folks who own my dive shop here.

The Bare wetsuits are great. I’ve got a 7mm that’s very warm.

Where will you dive? Gilboa?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I did my AOW at Gilboa and would certainly go back for more training.  Right now I plan to start going out with the LDS.  We have a ton of local lakes and they do weekly dives all summer.  My lead technician (he's family) also bought a boat last year and he told a buddy of his (a heavy wreck fanatic) and me that he'd take us out on Huron, the St. Clair River, and Lake St. Clair.  Supposedly his buddy knows of a ton of smaller local wrecks.  The buddy and his wife are the ones that actually reignited my diving spark after a we all went out one night.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did my AOW at Gilboa and would certainly go back for more training.  Right now I plan to start going out with the LDS.  We have a ton of local lakes and they do weekly dives all summer.  My lead technician (he's family) also bought a boat last year and he told a buddy of his (a heavy wreck fanatic) and me that he'd take us out on Huron, the St. Clair River, and Lake St. Clair.  Supposedly his buddy knows of a ton of smaller local wrecks.  The buddy and his wife are the ones that actually reignited my diving spark after a we all went out one night.
View Quote
@harleyrkc

The current in the St Clair River can be quite stiff, so make sure you first dive it in place with less current.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@harleyrkc

The current in the St Clair River can be quite stiff, so make sure you first dive it in place with less current.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.  I've fished the St. Clair but never dove it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
My situation is almost exactly like OP’s. I used to dive extensively but now I haven’t done it in 20 years. Recently with help from some diving friends, I’ve been doing some research. Now stuff like regs are like guns; one person loves this one and someone else doesn’t. Based on my research this looks to be a very good deal. Both regs are highly rated and the computer has great reviews; these components appear to be among the best on the market for mid-range dive gear and at a very good price;

Aqualung Pro HD Package on Amazon

This also looks great. It’s smaller so more of a travel rig. But highly rated regs and the same computer as the first one. However the one bad review is pretty scary.

Aqualung Zuma Package on Amazon
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
^ good equipment and price.
Also, keep in mind Aqualung offers parts for life.  You will pay labor only.
If you go this route, you can't be a day late or no-go free stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My situation is almost exactly like OP’s. I used to dive extensively but now I haven’t done it in 20 years. Recently with help from some diving friends, I’ve been doing some research. Now stuff like regs are like guns; one person loves this one and someone else doesn’t. Based on my research this looks to be a very good deal. Both regs are highly rated and the computer has great reviews; these components appear to be among the best on the market for mid-range dive gear and at a very good price;

Aqualung Pro HD Package on Amazon

This also looks great. It’s smaller so more of a travel rig. But highly rated regs and the same computer as the first one. However the one bad review is pretty scary.

Aqualung Zuma Package on Amazon
View Quote
Make sure they’re a legit AL dealer. Otherwise, warranty issues.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Make sure they’re a legit AL dealer. Otherwise, warranty issues.
View Quote
Sorry OP, I hope I am not bogarting your thread.

Good advise above and I double checked and they are. Interesting that their store name on Amazon is Aqualung but they are a LDS in New England.

Anyways, based on this thread below I went with the Zuma. The comments, especially the last one, made a lot of sense to me having previously dived extensively;

Scuba Board Topic
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top